Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 9:32 AM

CFitzgerald1292:
    I do not chip, pitch, flop, or punch on any short shot. I use a full swing with a strike percentage based on experience and adjustments for lie, elevation, and wind. I also use backspin on almost all shots. I have found this will land the ball closer to the hole and eliminate most of the intervening terrain. this works if you have good wedges and most important balls that spin.

OK. If that works for you, that's fine. 

Nevertheless, how do you know it lands closer to the hole or is a better choice if you don't chip, pitch, or flop?

Yes, a full swing shot can be a good choice. But it's not always the best choice. Similarly, the pitch isn't always the best choice... the flop shot isn't always the best choice... and the chip isn't always the best choice. 

The point is that the best players know how and when to use all the shots. But I suppose if all one has is a hammer, everything becomes a nail.

Oh, and +1 to Jim. :-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 9:46 AM

Robert1893:
    Oh, and +1 to Jim. :-) 

In all fairness, he's playing driver/wedge golf at this point. Plus, I don't think he's a RL golfer by the tone of the post. I could be wrong there. At any rate, oddly enough, he's exactly where I was when I was at his stage with one exception-I used to flop everything in sight around the greens.

When you're driving to wedge shots on almost every hole it's easy to get and keep that shot you know will get you close-that flop did it for me. (Although his "close" is only 19 feet so that full shot method really doesn't stand up.)

Learning what is in this thread is what got me to Legend back then. The flop routine got boring and I was stuck. Now I flop once in a blue moon. LOL  ;-)

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 10:40 AM

As always, Jim, good points.

Until I got decent wedges, I flopped everything as well. Now I use it sparingly. Besides better wedges, the video by WalkOfLife on chip v. pitch as well as his 50-yard punch spreadsheet really transformed my shot selection around the greens. 

I still remember the first time I pitched after watching that video. I holed it for a birdie on the 1st hole of Chambers. Ironically, it's probably the last time I got a birdie on that hole. ;-) 

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Jul 10 2018 8:19 PM
    You can lead a horse to water, but , well you guys already know lol. One would think a level 96 TM that knows everything would maybe take some good advice. I guess long as he's having fun it doesn't matter!
  • devoeagle
    23 Posts
    Sat, Jan 19 2019 7:34 AM

i thimk in the first or second paragragh you said it perfect if we practice bammmm thats it tell me how when there is no driveing range to practice at get back to realty

• devoeagle
    23 Posts
    Sat, Jan 19 2019 7:34 AM

i thimk in the first or second paragragh you said it perfect if we practice bammmm thats it tell me how when there is no driveing range to practice at get back to realty

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Jan 19 2019 4:52 PM

devoeagle:

That question was answered in the OTHER thread you posted this in.  Read it.

• EBColson
    7 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2019 2:20 AM

I really appreciate you taking time to post this information.  I really didn't know the flight and roll applied to each type.  Now I'll give this information some thought and practice.  I've used the flop before, but not to very good results.  I'm looking forward to good success with this new information.

I'd also like to add my request to have a driving range and chip/pitch area to practice and learn what my clubs will do.  Please pass this request along to your developers.

Thanks

• drill1503
    1 Posts
    Mon, Apr 29 2019 1:15 PM

I appreciate the help.

I have gotten a lot better using these tips.

• mymechi
    6 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 12:47 PM

hello, just wondering by your profile name, are you by  "Armenian" nationality by any chance? 

RSS