Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2011 5:13 PM

Sanco:

Also Eline Woods had a curious use of a PW sometime ago, not quite what you may call orthodox but did a lot of damage on Tiger's game and she won several million dollars in one shot.

I would call that a perfect shot out of the rough.

Actually I think she used an eight iron.  After finding out there were 13 women involved she felt she needed more club.

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:37 PM

TarheelsRule:

Sanco:

Also Eline Woods had a curious use of a PW sometime ago, not quite what you may call orthodox but did a lot of damage on Tiger's game and she won several million dollars in one shot.

I would call that a perfect shot out of the rough.

Actually I think she used an eight iron.  After finding out there were 13 women involved she felt she needed more club.

lol...fyi....My sources in Florida near TW's estate tell me it was alot more than 13 women..

• kjackson82
    3 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2011 9:25 PM

I have sort of an unrelated question.  Can you do anything but putt once you get on the green?  I've been stuck a few times at ST Andrews 17 on the green with the bunker between my ball and the hole.  Since I'm on the green I don't think I can play any other shot than the putter.  Can I?

• Betty1
    44 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2011 10:43 PM

Yes,you can.I've used 50 yd. club on green.Good luck!

• IH8kidz
    902 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2011 1:15 PM

You can hit any wedge below a pitching wedge, but you have to hit a full shot, no chips or pitches. You also have to hit approx double the yardage, so if you have 18 yds, you have to hit 36, etc. It is quite handy at times instead of a 90 ft putt.

• GJB2647
    8 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2011 4:02 AM

Hi,

I found these guidelines very useful BUT throughout the advice there is constant mention of the need to practice, practice, practice.

WE CAN'T PRACTICE

If a professional golfer or even a club member had to wait until they were actually on the 1st tee before hitting the ball since the last putt on the 18th green the week before then they would not improve at all.

They practice on a driving range, on a practice green or even on the carpet at home.

We can't - the only way we get any better is by playing a proper round of 9 or 18 holes.

PLEASE-PLEASE- PLEASE MAKE A DRIVING RANGE ON WGT and a PRACTICE PUTTING GREEN TOO.

GJB2647

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:53 AM

Sure you can practice, and you don't need to wait a week either.

Just play a round on your own, if you're average can still go up select practice and your score won't count. Then just play a wedge off the tee and chip, pitch and flop your way to the green. That's what I did when I got the new Cleveland wedges, not very much but enough to give me an idea what they'll do with different shots.

You can also play normally to the green then practice putting. I don't know if practice rounds limit you to 10 shots per hole but you can get a few putts in before you have to move on to the next hole.

I grant you it's not the same as having a driving range and practise green but it's better than nothing.

• floppy131
    87 Posts
    Sat, Jul 9 2011 9:22 PM

screw the chip and pitch, use a punch shot and put some back spin on it, meter it like a chip shot you will be fine. chip shots on this game are few and far between good ones more bad ones especially with the deep rough.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2011 6:24 AM

When taking advice.... always consider the source.

Use this guide, it will help your game.

• Dianne81
    773 Posts
    Sun, Jul 24 2011 5:26 PM

floppy131:

screw the chip and pitch, use a punch shot and put some back spin on it, meter it like a chip shot you will be fine. chip shots on this game are few and far between good ones more bad ones especially with the deep rough.

Many will disagree with you floppy. Its almost  as easy to hole out a chip shot  from 21 ft as it is a putt with the same distance and break Holing out punch shots is very rare. Your sandsave and scrambling percentage is about 20-25%  , Iconian ( who spent his time writting the article trying to help), gets up and down from sand or missed green shots 80% of time. (proof is in results)

I used to do the same as you, used punch shot for everything around green, but I've learn with different lies and  distances, you do not want to be a 1 horse pony.  Learn to  Flop, chip, Pitch and Punch your way to lower numbers. By not learning all the shots, you are leaving strokes on the course.

RSS