Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:23 AM

CharlemagneRH:

Title of this thread should be How to properly use pitch and flop shots: A guide V2.0, imo!

don't seem to have much success with the flop shot. Always seems to come up way short of what the distance is stated to be.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:41 AM

TracyMax:
    don't seem to have much success with the flop shot. Always seems to come up way short of what the distance is stated to be.

Forget what the specs say, learn what it does for you. It's an incredibly useful shot in a lot of places.

FYI, this is how I use mine. The first line to the left of perfect is the "perfect" for this shot. It offsets the normal fly right action. This is just something I know works and I flop probably 50% of the time around greens. Purists may poo-poo this but hey, whatever works.

I know my 64 wedge flops 11 yds out of 30/40 and 9 yards out of 40-50%, both with roll depending on landing. (Three guesses how I figured that out and the first 2 don't count.)The high flight of the flop will let you get over stuff that might affect a chip or pitch and the landing is fairly predictable. Give it a serious try because that shot alone gives you 2 more distances you can feel comfortable from with your 2 wedges.  GL

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 1:21 PM

I follow what you're saying with the left line, but you lose backspin by this method. Learn to aim left and get max stopping power....

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:51 PM

Re: the flop shot:

YankeeJim:
    The first line to the left of perfect is the "perfect" for this shot. It offsets the normal fly right action.

Jim, does that take a huge amount of distance out of the shot, as hitting off-center will generally do? Or have you factored this into your equation? I had always followed the "official" advice to aim a couple of yards left of the target and then hit the flop on the ding. (This was supposed to mimic the idea of opening up the club face a lot when hitting the flop shot.)

• doublo7
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 3:30 PM

Hello and thanxs for a very usefull thread.

ps1. What kind of balls do you use?

ps2. Do you think its important to have the best balls?

ps3. Yes im sorry this is the wrong forum, but i see that many people here take a grate interest in the game thats why here :-) I would very much aprechiate it if someone took up a thread about Putters, -Irons and Drivers, and Balls etc

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 4:14 PM

The distance is right on. Spin will adjust the rollout. FWIW I use full backspin flopping the 64 all the time unless I want it to run to say 18-19 in which case topspin helps it get there. 

What I say is what works for me with Satins and the Tour-SD ball. I consider it empirical only because it's worked for over a year now. The key is finding out what works for you. That mark is very hard to hit but I've holed a good number of flops using it and more often than not there's a tap in left.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 7:05 AM

YankeeJim:
    FYI, this is how I use mine. The first line to the left of perfect is the "perfect" for this shot. It offsets the normal fly right action. This is just something I know works and I flop probably 50% of the time around greens. Purists may poo-poo this but hey, whatever works

thanks for the help. I've tried using it out of sand traps with mixed success. No success out of the deep rough. Usually end up playing the LW with 1/2 strength. Seem to have trouble getting the height and distance out of deep traps with the flop.  Will try using the mark you mentioned and see how it goes.

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:13 AM

Deleted

Post :  thought my chips were rolling out much further than usual

Reason I Deleted it:  I was playing Oakmont at the time and figured it was the greens

Here's a nice Chip at Andy's

• doublo7
    10 Posts
    Sun, Feb 13 2011 12:47 PM

Why was this deleted, i experienced the same thing with my 60 wedge today. It was like hitting with a PW for 100 yrds mine usualy make 77, i hit it for 63 and it went for 85!

Anyone else?

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:44 AM

So if you could only purchase one wedge what degree pitch would be best overall??

RSS