Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • EricH1965
    200 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2017 4:48 PM

Thanks for the tips.  I am just getting to the pointwhere I can use(and understand) them.

• tony8280
    4 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 2:32 PM

Great Post

Thanks

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 4:46 PM

EricH1965:
     I am just getting to the pointwhere I can use(and understand) them.

Learning the pitch and chip changed my game when I was a TM. . Stay with it.   :-)

• conveyorguy
    776 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 4:51 PM

Pitch esp. hepfull on the bowling ball greens at Pinehurts...where I learned it lol

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 7:27 PM

Learn to pitch full spin with the 64deg.  Stops on a dime. For shots to an upper tier or on to a down slope with no room use the flop full spin with the 64.  Hit them a little harder and try and hole every short shot around the greens.

• jeepie411
    3,197 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 7:32 PM

JODYSWALLOWS:

very  very  good  but a lt to remember.  Try  this!  Use the flop  option choose the wedge that matches youre  yardage. look above youre meter and see the % to add. if there is no  percentage hit the distance it says, on flop full back spinn hit the mark before the ding  iy should be perfect

Jody.

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2017 3:16 AM

jeepie411:

JODYSWALLOWS:

very  very  good  but a lt to remember.  Try  this!  Use the flop  option choose the wedge that matches youre  yardage. look above youre meter and see the % to add. if there is no  percentage hit the distance it says, on flop full back spinn hit the mark before the ding  iy should be perfect

Jody.

Sorry, but for me, too many variables with the flop shot. I can get closer than that with a pitch shot.

Perhaps there is a place for the flop shot - but I haven't found it yet.

Just my opinion - I readily acknowledge I'm not that good :-)

Cheers,

Peter

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2017 8:02 AM

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2017 8:31 AM

Firstly, let me agree 100% with Lutjanid( and btw, I just love snapper) and 95 or so % with Peter. Lut gets the 100% for trying to get the ball in the hole.

I'll explain the routine I go through on every Around The Green shot because as Lut said, I am trying to hole every shot. Whether that's just a pipe-dream is debatable of course:

1. Okay, the screen comes up showing the shot that lies before you.

2. First, I select the 64 deg wedge.

3. Then FBS.

4. Then if it's not already on there, I select Chip. This then enables me to see the way the green runs.

5. I then select the view from behind the pin looking to make a judgement as to how my ball will react once it has landed on the green bearing in mind a pitch will take out most of the borrow and land a yard or so from the pin and stop very quickly but inevitably it will turn to some degree.

This will include the incline of the green, which in the case of the vidclip demo, shows it to be up 8". This 8" has some significance in that if you were putting uphill 8" from 33 ft on a T12 green you would consider hitting the putt some 40ft.

6. Once happy with 5 above, I would then switch from Chip mode to Pitch (not always something I remember, I might add) and then look at calculating whether I need to play more or less than 11 yds.

7. 11 yds on the flat means playing a 73% shot while 12 yds is a 76% shot on the meter. In this case there is an 8" incline so I would play for 74, possibly 75% on the meter, bearing in mind the old adage of never up etc , knowing if I hit the ding (although mine sounds more of a dong) I will not be any further away than a foot or so.

8. Play the shot.

I might just add that on many occasion I use the same routine from much further out, even from as far out as 60 yds but that's only if I'm not sure of the speed and severity of the borrow. To my mind the 64 deg wedge is by far the most versatile club in the bag and I use it for various types of shot ranging from 4 up to 63 yds.

Sorry to say Jeepie but I consider your very nice vidclip a little contrived as it's a very straightforward shot from virtually a clean, level fairway lie onto an almost flat green. Perhaps if you could make one playing from a 40/50 lie, or even, say playing from the back of the bunker mound on the Road Hole at St. A's where you need to take into account the downward slope on the green side. I'm sure that would be more beneficial to many.

And yes Peter, there are places and situations where the Flop comes in very handy, although I admit personally I use it quite sparingly.

As for  your acknowledgement and after that debacle we played earlier today, I can only agree with you!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2017 8:49 AM

TopShelf2010:

petervcpt:
    I readily acknowledge I'm not that good :-)

Don't be so hard on yourself Peter. You have come a long way and are improving every day

LOL. Was about to get in his face about the same thing, Don. Ya gotta think positive, Peter. You're making good progress and I agree with you on that flop. Flops are good for getting up and down with an occasional hole out but pitches go in regularly if you play them right.  

p.s., True story. I hit a wall as a TM back in the driver/wedge days and used to flop everything in sight (I carried 4 Satin wedges, no 3W.) I just couldn't get over the hump to Legend and was getting really aggravated. That's the point that I mentioned above-went and learned the pitch and chip and never looked back.  :-)

RSS