Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • Marco129
    275 Posts
    Wed, Aug 13 2014 1:46 AM

ROBELLIOT:

Mark i'm sorry , i have only just seen your reply to this thread .You are correct the link you referred to no longer exists, Ordinarily i would have posted the screen shot here but was unable to, hence the re route to my profile. Thanks too Mantis for a clear , concise post explaining how to set up a game.

First I would like to thank Mantis for his post, it got my practice game shot logging, creative juices going.

Robelliot, not a problem. We all get busy between golf and life and more golf and I do appreciate you replying to my post.

Robelliot, what I was hoping to see linked to your profile was how and where you practice, I have since come up with a few of my own ideas and am working on them to improve my game and intend to share with others as soon as I can finish and compile them.

- Mark

• plebian7
    3 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 8:04 AM

Iconian, I want to thank you so much for writing this definitive guide on the use of the chip and pitch clubs.  I was fortunate enough to find this guide early in my experience at WGT and it has helped my game immensely.  Now as a Legend, I've referred to it when tutoring beginner players and recommend it constantly even to seasoned WGT pros.  

I also want to thank you for keeping the guide updated, I have seen it improve over time as refinements are added.  I know it has been a labor of love for you, and your own achievements in WGT are testament to this guide's veracity and validity.  

Many thanks for providing what has been a game-changing tutorial for me.  I credit your help for vastly improving my game.

Hugs,

Deb

(Plebian7)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 11:23 AM

plebian7:
    Many thanks for providing what has been a game-changing tutorial for me.

Life-changing!

• ROBELLIOT
    234 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 3:41 AM

Purely because this is a pitching & chipping thread Mark i've messaged you the practice info personally. I suggest learning the full spectrum of shots relating to your 64° wedge,by this i mean , Full shot, punch , pitch , chip. In practice from 100% down to about 60 % for the four modes should offer you cover for your distances. 

( exception being full shot : ie from 30/40 sand ..40% = 12 yds. (64 °wedge)

You can choose to calculate from sand or rough 30/40 ~ 40/50 inclusive or as i did learn the scale separately  then add following as extra: (20% from 30/40 sand) appx.Image and video hosting by TinyPic

nb. From my own experience sand 10/ 20% plays different course to course,best to take notes.

EXAMPLE: PITCH SHOT 30/40 ROUGH>

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 5:31 AM

Rob, curious what's the layover tool for your calculations?

• ROBELLIOT
    234 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 7:22 AM

For the image Z i used http://pixlr.com/editor/ & the digital ruler is an app called swingmate

the image editor like the ruler are free...)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 8:44 AM

Thanks.

• Marco129
    275 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 5:04 AM

plebian7:

Iconian, I want to thank you so much for writing this definitive guide on the use of the chip and pitch clubs.  I was fortunate enough to find this guide early in my experience at WGT and it has helped my game immensely.  Now as a Legend, I've referred to it when tutoring beginner players and recommend it constantly even to seasoned WGT pros.  

I also want to thank you for keeping the guide updated, I have seen it improve over time as refinements are added.  I know it has been a labor of love for you, and your own achievements in WGT are testament to this guide's veracity and validity.  

Many thanks for providing what has been a game-changing tutorial for me.  I credit your help for vastly improving my game.

Hugs,

Deb

(Plebian7)

Wow, don't I feel like an ungrateful dumbass.

Iconian, thank you very much for this tutorial. I have been using it for a month now and found it invaluable to get me started with this game. I became so involed with the latest posts to your thread, I completely forgot how and why I was reading your thread.

Thanks again for your insight and hard work.

- Mark

• MDWa
    23 Posts
    Sun, Aug 24 2014 12:13 PM

HELP HELP HELP I CANT CHIP CANT FLOP CANT PITCH I don't really use the 40% more stuff you were talking about I go by yds. I really need help. here's an example I was on the fairway. sorry don't remember course or hole. please just listen though I really want to lower my ave.. I was on the fairway as I mentioned 13 yds away from hole. 1 in. uphill to hole the club I used to pitch said the "max of club was 19. know heres my problem 50%of 19 should be 9.5 yds. everything flat I know this. and half of 9.5 is 4.25 so total of those combined is 13.75.(50%+25%) 18 in.uphill to hole green speed was tournament 12 so I figured with  that green speed 75% should have been fairly close it went 31 ft past the hole??? so in total it went 13 yds to the hole plus another 10 past it that's a total of 23 yds  and he club said 19 and I only hit it at 75%.hope you understand. Can you help????

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 24 2014 4:36 PM

MDWa:
    and he club said 19 and I only hit it at 75%.hope you understand. Can you help??

Dump the hybrid.  Then 3 good quality evenly spaced wedges.  Choose one ball, and learn FBS pitching around the rated yardages. Punching do same but rmbr punching you can use down to 55% power easily around the green with say a CG64.  Shovelling the proverbial uphill with teh starter stuff.

MDWa:
    13 yds away from hole. 1 in. uphill

That's just less than 85% power with a HL Cleve CG64 pitched FBS...Gotta map those clubs and go with it.

Also see rest of thread loads of stuff:)

RSS