Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • redge64
    1 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 1:28 PM

great job indeed very helpful to learn how to operate on the course  many thnaks

• ckinfidel
    156 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2013 2:45 PM

Nice i bookmarked this. being a begginner8ahem* hack every little bit of intel helps.

• Spyke77
    8 Posts
    Wed, May 1 2013 9:26 AM

seems good, but in practice, I find that WGT lacks a great amount in consistency.  Just today, I had a similar chip shot.  40-50% rough 12 yards, level.  Chose the 16 yard distance, hit it perfect.....went one yard, still in the rough.  Same on second try, went one yard, still in the rough.  Now it is still in 40-50% rough chip shot, 10 yard shot, still three yards to the green surface.  Hit same shot, perfect, same power, same everything, and this shot went the resulted 8 yards with three yard roll and went into the cup.  Explain why three shots in a row with the same club, same power, and same accuracy ends up with three different results.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Wed, May 1 2013 10:42 AM

Spyke77:

Now it is still in 40-50% rough chip shot, 10 yard shot, still three yards to the green surface.  Hit same shot, perfect, same power, same everything, and this shot went the resulted 8 yards with three yard roll and went into the cup.  Explain why three shots in a row with the same club, same power, and same accuracy ends up with three different results.

1. You used the wrong shot type from the initial lie. By my reckoning, you originally lied 12 yds from pin, of which 5 - 6 yds was rough or fringe - 40% - 50% of the total distance. Depending on club and ball characteristics, one can expect that just ~ 25% - 35% of a chip shot is carry, and the rest is roll ... from a perfect lie or short rough. If you'd considered the pitch or flop shot types (depending on terrain in the landing region on the green, I pitch to uphill or level region - or flop to downhill or down-wind region). The pitch is 50% - 75% carry from good lies, somewhat less - depending on applied spin - from 40/50 rough. The flop is almost all carry from good lies, but as depth of rough increases there is a considerable distance penalty - again variable depending on club, ball and spin applied.

2. When WGT says you're in 40/50 rough, it is somewhere in that range. Likely the 50% end for your initial lie because it landed with more force than the subsequent chili-dips. Part of good play is taking into account the variables you face with each shot: depth in rough is approximate, strength and direction of wind is variable (+/- 10 or 15 degrees for direction and maybe +/- 30% for strength!).

Next time, using chip shot and reverse view, take the aiming arrowhead and drag it away from pin and towards your lie to the edge of green on the line of your intended shot; now ask yourself: Is the distance from my lie to the edge of the green > 20% of the total distance to the pin? If that answer is yes, do not attempt the chip shot type!

• ckinfidel
    156 Posts
    Wed, May 1 2013 10:43 AM

Well it doesn't give me any comfort to know others have found the meter to be off.

• Spyke77
    8 Posts
    Thu, May 2 2013 8:46 AM

Thanks.....I used the auto selected shot type that WGT suggested.  But that is the fallacy of playing real versus simulated golf.  They come up with rules, but don't apply shot type to the conditions that will react to the conditions.  In real life, if I find that I am in 40/50 percent buried rough, I would change the shot type accordingly.  I would expect a "game" to reflect that same thought process.

Thanks for the tip.

• GRAYDONAL
    29 Posts
    Wed, May 15 2013 9:36 PM

Hi Iconian,

I simply half the% if wind is blowing diagonally. For example shot of 100 yd.7 mph wind against ......  100 x.03 = 103 total distance.

However, 100 yd. 7 mph wind against blowing diagonally...... 100 x .015 = 101.5 yd total distance

If the angle is diagonal but more head on i might say......100 x .02 =  102 yd  total distance

• DinkiB
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jul 2 2013 6:05 PM

Iconian,

Thank You, so much. I have struggled with chipping and pitching sense I started playing. It always seemed I was way short, then over compensated and was way long. I could sorta trust the flop, but I usually always used a Lob Wedge under full power. I would just play a knock down shot to get within 5-10 yards. Thanks again, Steve (Dinkib)

• MrOldMan63
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:08 PM

Thank you for the tutorial! Excellent!

• Rohaley
    35 Posts
    Thu, Jul 4 2013 8:46 PM

Thank you very very much :)

RSS