Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2012 2:53 PM

saltiresfan:
    Am I missing something obvious?

Are you using the shot menu, where you choose bt full, punch, pitch, chip, flop & putt?

They take practice, but short shots aren't even close to so hard that you would miss them completely, consistently. It sounds like you're trying to hit full shots at 10 percent power....   

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2012 3:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It's mainly bunker shots now to be honest. The tips have helped somewhat with chipping/pitching. I guess, like in real life, you just have to exit a bunker sideways or backwards if the slope is too much.

• TOC58
    2 Posts
    Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:45 PM

Much help.  Kudos and thank you.

O'C

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 6:34 AM

saltiresfan:
    I guess, like in real life, you just have to exit a bunker sideways or backwards if the slope is too much.

Only at SA if you're up tight to one of those walls. There are a couple of other places around the courses where this might happen but, for the most part, you should be able to get out of any bunker with the right shot. Pitching works great and so does punching.A lot of players flop but you have to make sure you're close enough to the bunker wall to get over it. Others know just how hard to hit a full wedge. Just try to take as full as swing as possible because with the less precise clubs you could be duffing it by trying to be too delicate.

Most of the time the caddie is going to suggest the longest club that would work from fairway bunkers. This is really evident at Oakmont because if you try to go higher you get bad results but that's not always the case on other courses. Sometimes it's just a matter of taking more club.  GL

• Cisco149er
    88 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:53 AM

You're awesome! Thanks alot

I'd love to play around with you...thx again, Eddie

• rlpparker
    68 Posts
    Sat, Feb 18 2012 8:59 AM

you guys out there when you start hiting more greens then you don"t have to worry about those chip,,, learn the flop shot with your 56%and 60% wedges and you will cut down on boegy and you will chip some in , when you get it down, that"s the simple way

• rlpparker
    68 Posts
    Sat, Feb 18 2012 9:03 AM

you guys out there when you start hiting more greens then you don"t have to worry about those chip,,, learn the flop shot with your 56%and 60% wedges and you will cut down on boegy and you will chip some in , when you get it down, that"s the simple way, also practice, practice practice,, just a thought  just a thought

• Realhopper
    25 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:29 PM

thanks for that info,i just turned pro and really am in trouble so i look any where for some help!!thanks again i will be trying out some of your guide options thanks!!!

• SgtScramble
    30 Posts
    Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:43 AM

Very nice stuff here Iconian thank you. While i havent quite figured it all out, I have noticed when chipping the distance is almost similar to putting, but you have to take account the initial landing spot and if the elevation is too high for the chip. I'm going to keep going over this and try to dial it in. Thanks again.

• SilentDrifter
    1,337 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 1:05 PM

Iconian-

I have found everything very useful.  Although I am new here and not at all very good, I do enjoy the great information and assistance that you have provided for the short game.

gl.. hf.. and ty!

~SD~

RSS