Forums

Help › Forums

How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 8:48 AM

birdwell:
    Lets assume a green with a down slope from the edge of the green to the hole. The ball lies off a false front of the green 2ft. down, and is 13 yards from the hole. You may be compelled to add power since the elevation is up.... this is a disaster waiting to happen. Because the green is above the ball, the ball will land at a more acute angle and have more roll. add the slope of the green to this and you'll be off the green on the other side before you can say $%^#!

A good point. It is important here to consider not just the net elevation difference, but where the elevation difference is. In this example, the net elevation is up, but that is because the ball is lying below the green. The green itself - once you land on it - may not be sloping up at all and may even be sloping down toward the hole.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 9:06 AM

zagraniczniak:
    The green itself - once you land on it - may not be sloping up at all and may even be sloping down toward the hole.

One way to figure this is to take the aimer to the edge of the green and watch the elevation change as you move it to the hole. Use that drop or rise as your elevation change but figure it starting at the edge of the green, not where you're standing.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 9:19 AM

YankeeJim:

zagraniczniak:
    The green itself - once you land on it - may not be sloping up at all and may even be sloping down toward the hole.

One way to figure this is to take the aimer to the edge of the green and watch the elevation change as you move it to the hole. Use that drop or rise as your elevation change but figure it starting at the edge of the green, not where you're standing.

yes. exactly. Then you have to contemplate the calculus of how the elevation of the green effects the landing angle of the ball and adjust for the roll.

If tha'ts all a bit to much to consider.. just flop the darn thing!  lol. The flop is a bit overused here imo. People are just too lazy to read the green. I do often just flop it close, but more often than not I'm trying for the hole out - which usually means chipping inside of 12 feet and pitching for 12 to 25 feet for me. (if the lie allows for it)

One more tip. You will often get the elevation just in feet. This is not good if you have some number of inches up/down on the green itself - you might miss it if you just look at the footage. . In this situation you have to go by the color of the grid. I've just recently started to really consider this (as opposed to just going by memory) and it has helped me considerably.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 10:49 AM

birdwell:
    In this situation you have to go by the color of the grid.

The flop is  basic up and down but thinking pitch and chip gets you more birdies. The color is essential since pitches and chips require you to estimate the landing and take the elevation change from there to the pin. A big plus for chipping, and more particularly pitching, is you can fly ups and downs in your putting line but you have to realize this when you're aiming. The color helps this a lot.

• dIamonddave8
    2 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2011 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info .Very informative

• pikitout
    9 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2011 2:09 PM

I do agree with what you say Yankee,but dont you find this is far from successful from sand.When in the bunker i always go down the move the marker route.

• Paddymac41
    4 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2011 11:45 AM

Indeed I thought it was me !!  Spoils many a round .

• cubncp
    36 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:34 PM

wanted to say thnx again, after studying the guide a lil bit i went after the punch shot approach on andrews 5 and i got my first double eagle(  after only 3 tries of punching at different power)... sweeeeet guide ty

• faithalone
    18 Posts
    Fri, Oct 21 2011 4:50 PM

You are the boom, I tried your tips on chipping it worked and I was so happy, dedicated my first chipping into the hole for you.

Thanks a million.

• papawcharles
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2012 5:09 AM

can some one tell me how to slow my power swing down

RSS