Forums

Help › Forums

Ball Distance

Mon, Sep 6 2021 8:23 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 1:32 PM

I'm playing a ball with 2/5 distance improvement. I expected this to show in my club distance, but noooooo. About what percentage increase should I expect from this ball. 

Thx for any help

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 2:25 PM

JimbeauC:

I'm playing a ball with 2/5 distance improvement. I expected this to show in my club distance, but noooooo. About what percentage increase should I expect from this ball. 

Thx for any help

hi

it just shows on the ball and it will be longer. there is no precise numbers's, so practice will help you estimate it

-wgticon

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 8:33 AM

Thx.

Maybe I'll take both the default ball and the one I'm playing to St Andrews #1 in practice mode. (Closest I can come to a driving range) and answer my own question.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 9:50 AM

JimbeauC:

Thx.

Maybe I'll take both the default ball and the one I'm playing to St Andrews #1 in practice mode. (Closest I can come to a driving range) and answer my own question.

hi

thats a good start but also keep in mind that just because ball is rated for more distance doesn't mean it'll fly that far, especially if ball has spin rating. paired with that, wind, spin, club spin, sometimes ball may fly less, so there is no real answer actually :)

-wgticon

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 12:37 PM

DylynJ:
    While most balls have increased distance they also have increased spin. The more spin the higher the ball goes and the less it actually travels. I've noticed this too with callaway zs and the new nike 20IX-X balls. It seems all the spin almost offsets the distance. Just my opinion.. not really sure.

That's my thoughts too on the subject,   with the added spin the ball needs the extra distance to travel the rated distance of the clubs.  On that note, you get to have the added spin and the ball goes just as far.

I too would love to see a ball with 5 dots of distance with no added spin just to test that theory.  

Hp

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 1:17 PM

Thx for the input. I did the range test anyway. Heh, wasted one of my expensive balls with all those shots. I loaded and reloaded #1 OCSA to get only side winds. All shots were in the fairway, which I note doesn't seem to affect spin that much. You know how they run on that course in practice mode. For the heck of it I launched my better ball at the green - bit and stuck. I didn't make enough shots to have all perfect shots, but I didn't use any awful ones either. 

Anyway, the ball in question is the WGT Tour SD which has 2/5 spin as well as 2/5 distance. I averaged 4 decent shots with each ball. First will be listed the club, followed by the generic ball average, then the SD average, and finally the %. 

D 260, 260, 0%

3W 241, 239, 1%  So it seems the advantage is negligible with longer clubs. 

3H 209, 217, 4%

3i 186, 193, 4%

4i 178,187, 5%

5i 167,174, 4%

6i 156,162, 4%

7i 140, 149, 6% (probable aberration) 

8i 130, 135, 4%

9i 109, 113, 4%

PW 89, 94, 5% 

So, I guess I'll kind of count on about 4%, unless hitting into greens. 

Hope this is of help to at least a few folk.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 2:10 PM

DylynJ,

Nope. Not even once. I wanted the shots to be as similar as my limited ability would allow. I even did them in both directions to keep elevation from being a factor, even though elevation isn't that big a deal on that hole.

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2011 2:15 PM

LOL.This game is suppose to be as close to (IRL) as it can be.

but way to much in this game goes against the laws of everything.

But I guess there is  a (LOL) good reason for it.

A book on the science,and theory of golf would be nice for someone to read.

• PAGES
RSS