• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 1:45 PM

You wanna hear why I love you?
    Well I won't bother to tell you...
    You recall that night in London
    When we stumbled through the mist
    And assured our neighbours
    That we'd never believe differently.....

How's this, Alex ?-

You want to know why I hate you?
    Well I'll try and explain...
    You remember that day in Paris
    When we wandered through the rain
    And promised to each other
    That we'd always think the same
    And dreamed that dream
    To be two souls as one
    And stopped just as the sun set
    And waited for the night
    Outside a glittering building
    Of glittering glass and burning light...

Answer  (unless I've missed a prior artist ) .... " How Beautiful You Are" by The Cure.

If I'm correct, i'll take a sleeve in whatever color is the least expensive.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:13 PM

Congratulations, Jeff.    You might perhaps educate us on how you arrived at the solution. There were 2 basic ways to solve this: you knew the song and the "encryption" reminded you of it; or you used the Google avenue.

I'll be sending you the GI2-S balls. Definitely not the least expensive colour; please let me know which colour you prefer. If you have no preference, I'll be sending you the Gold variety, usually considered the most prestigious on WGT.com. We don't want our Christmas presents to look too shabby, do we?   

The song is How Beautiful You Are... by The Cure from their critically acclaimed 1987 album Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me. (The album reached Platinum status in the US despite this being a British band.) Here are the full lyrics & a concert video clip of the song.

As to the Google option of finding the solution, one may put any set of words into quotation marks, while inserting an asterisk (*) to stand for "any word". In this way, if you search for the sequence of "why I * you well" (including the quotation marks), Google leads you to this song by The Cure. It's in the top 10 of search results for that string.

Now for those who won't bother to read the entire lyrics, here is the condensed message of the song. Great, powerful poetry, I believe. Despite the song's message, Happy Christmas to everyone!

You want to know why I hate you?
    Well I'll try and explain...

You remember that day in Paris
    When we wandered through the rain
    And promised to each other
    That we'd always think the same
    And dreamed that dream
    To be two souls as one

The father's eyes said, "Beautiful! 
    How beautiful you are!"
    The boy's eyes said, 
    "How beautiful!
    She shimmers like a star!"
    The child's eyes uttered nothing
    But a mute and utter joy
    And filled my heart with shame for us
    At the way we are

I turned to look at you
    To read my thoughts upon your face 
    And gazed so deep into your eyes
    So beautiful and strange
    Until you spoke
    And showed me understanding is a dream: 
    "I hate these people staring
    Make them go away from me!"

And this is why I hate you
    And how I understand
    That no-one ever knows or loves another
    Or loves another

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:30 PM

I can't believe I didn't know that! I used to have a girlfriend that used to listen to them all the time.I guess I was distracted by something else.I used to have a T-Shirt from they're Wish Tour and everything '94 I think it was.I am relieved to finally find out.Thanks Jeff it was killing me.

Thank you too Faterson for helping spice up the thread a little.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:14 PM

Faterson:
    Congratulations, Jeff.    You might perhaps educate us on how you arrived at the solution. There were 2 basic ways to solve this: you knew the song and the "encryption" reminded you of it; or you used the Google avenue.

My head is full of a lot of stuff that I'm not really sure how I know. ..LOL

To be honest, it was a little of both. I was just as lost as everyone else when I first read your encryption. I was trying every synonym that I could think of, but it wasn't ringing a bell. It was one of your other hints that was the key ... about  the tone not necessarily being optimistic. It still took a couple more looks before the first couple of lines clicked.... then the bell rang.  I dated a girl  back in '88, who was a fan . The Cure really wasn't to my liking, but I sure listened to them often enough ( the things we do for women! ).

So, when I figured out those first 2 lines, I was reasonably sure that the group was the Cure, but had no clue what the song title, or even the rest of the lyrics were .....Google helped with that.   ( Side note - after listening to the song again, I still don't care for it much)

Thanks for the challenge, Alex, even though I think I might have strained a brain muscle :) ... and thanks in advance the sleeve of balls ( white really would be fine with me, but I will leave the color choice to you).

Merry Christmas to you, Alex .... and to all of my WGT friends.

Jeff

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:38 PM

Pack of Gold GI2-S balls sent.  

RSS