Forums

Help › Forums

NEW WGT Players - learning to play this gatheme

Wed, Jun 7 2023 10:34 AM (6 replies)
  • SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sat, Jun 3 2023 6:14 PM

I will be the FIRST person to admit that I am definitely not nearly the best "Tour Champion" level player here on WGT.......but I have learned a lot about this game, the course, the many greens, fairways, how to use the clubs and balls to benefit me. I "should" be a lot better than I am, however, I just refuse to pay for the best and most expensive Clubs & Balls...and those expensive clubs and balls DO make a big difference in your performance here on WGT.......that's how WGT designed this game.....to make a profit. 

Lately......I ONLY play with very cheap balls or FREE WGT balls...and it's very challenging to put up low scores or to win any matches against almost any level player....however, just recently I bought a $50 gift card to buy WGT credits so I could buy some better balls.  Playing with those FREE WGT balls is sooooooo very frustrating. Still, everyone needs to create a "Budget" here on WGT, so you won't have to mortgage your Home to keep playing WGT Golf...LOL.

A few TIPS for the NEW WGT Players:

*Before you tee off.....always look up in the left hand corner and determine the direction and speed of the wind.  This will definitely have a major effect on your tee shot......as well as all other shots during your rounds.

Also......if you didn't know, your BALL in the lower right hand corner of your screen has a DOT in the center of it. If you want "backspin"...you can use your cursor to move the DOT to the bottom of the ball. If you want forward spin - like I want when I'm hitting into the wind....I move the DOT to the top of the BALL.  Or you can leave the DOT in the middle of your BALL and it will roll normally. By putting "backspin" on your ball, it will cause your ball to go "higher" to help you get over creeks, trees, bunkers and streams.

Good rule of thump......if at all possible...keep your ball in the FAIRWAYS at all times. If you get into the weeds or brush, good luck in advancing your ball.  If you're in the ROUGH, you need to ADD at least 10 yards of distance to your shot because you're in longer grass than the fairway grass.

Learn how to use the various clubs......as well as HOW to chip, pitch, flop, etc.

A very talented WGT player once told me the BEST way to improve my putting is to get my approach shots as close to the holes as possible....well yeah, easier said than done.

For me, if I'm off the green, say 5 yard to 100 yards.....I pull the Flagstick before I attempt to hit my ball onto the green.....as I personally believe that the Flagstick crowds the hole. I've seen many players cheated out of a Birdie or an Eagle because they didn't pull the Flagstick.....I've forgotten many times myself.

Practice Putting and learn the "calculations" for the various " green speeds"....you can find these calculations here in the FORUM section. Guess on putts doesn't work well.

Of course, purchasing GREAT clubs & expensive balls will help lower your scores.....but this can get expensive.  I would HIGHLY recommend if you buy clubs and balls in the WGT Pro Shop...that you set yourselves a "monthly" budget......because these costs can add up FAST.  I have spent a TON of $$$ here on WGT...I felt I needed to in order to reach the "Tour Champion" level.  Now, I'm not concerned about leveling up to a higher TIER......I'm just playing for the FUN of it now.

But I've been playing some one on one matches on the "Beverly Hills" 9 Hole WGT games....and almost ALL of the players I'm matched up with are lower TIER players....and I can see the very "basic mistakes" they are making and I would just like to help them - because I remember how very difficult and challenging WGT golf was when I first started out. 

IMO, it takes at least 2,000 ranked rounds of WGT golf to get reasonably good at this game......so, be patient, it takes time to really learn this game.

I wish everyone the BEST of LUCK and hope you all enjoy WGT golf as much as I have over the years.

Best Regards,

SoCalJim23

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sun, Jun 4 2023 4:31 AM

^^^^ Why post this here in19th Hole/And Everything Else when there is “Welcome to WGT/Community Help”?  Not that I’m endorsing what you posted or anything…just pointing out the obvious.  🙄

• callaghan159
    6,220 Posts
    Sun, Jun 4 2023 4:41 AM

pmm711:
    And Everything Else

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sun, Jun 4 2023 6:05 AM

Oh, I totally realize that I "could" have written my POST about NEW WGT PLAYERS learning to play this game...............on GAME TIPS, but it just seems to ME that not many NEW players are reading those "Game Tips".

I'm seeing way too many very basic mistakes made by lower TIER players......so I just thought I'd post a few tips that I have learned from playing this game for over (5) plus Years. I have hit over 5,000 Ranked Rounds & a majority of them have been (18) Hole rounds not just (9) Hole rounds. 

And as I mentioned, IF I were to invest the money in BETTER clubs and balls, I feel that my game would be much improved. But I have nothing left to prove to anyone or myself.

I was only wanting to share some of my "experience" playing golf here on WGT with the NEW, lower tier players.

SoCalJim23

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Jun 4 2023 1:11 PM

SoCalJim23:
    but it just seems to ME that not many NEW players are reading those "Game Tips".

I would post in "THE LAST WORD", from what I hear, everyone reads that thread. (IMHO)

Edit: All kidding aside, I do believe many new players, providing they even become aware this online forum exists, would read GAME TIPS. 

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sun, Jun 4 2023 3:49 PM

Well................it just seems OBVIOUS to me that not many NEW WGT members are reading the TIPS on how to play this WGT golf game..........too many are struggling with the basics.

They don't seem to realize there is a major "learning curve" to get good at playing WGT Golf.....and you can't just learn how overnight. 

SoCalJim23

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Wed, Jun 7 2023 10:34 AM

SoCalJim23:

Oh, I totally realize that I "could" have written my POST about NEW WGT PLAYERS learning to play this game...............on GAME TIPS, but it just seems to ME that not many NEW players are reading those "Game Tips".

I was only wanting to share some of my "experience" playing golf here on WGT with the NEW, lower tier players.

I applaud your efforts to share your experience to try to help the newer players, Jim.  Cheers 🍺

RSS