Help › Forums

Pulling the Pin (

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 27 2023 3:13 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Trinbagoboy
    286 Posts
    Mon, May 22 2023 6:26 AM

They should adjust the game so you can pull the stick after playing your shot. As this would then give you the same effect as having it tended.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Mon, May 22 2023 6:46 AM

Trinbagoboy:

They should adjust the game so you can pull the stick after playing your shot. As this would then give you the same effect as having it tended.

They can't as the result of your shot is immediately determined upon the club striking the ball.  After the strike you're just seeing the visual result of that ball strike.  So the pin being in or out must be at the time of the hit.

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Wed, May 24 2023 11:36 AM

Tabarnak777:
    Pin can save your ass when you get out from a very difficult position where a pin hit is the way to go to stop the ball going further down. Need some luck for that but it's better than pulling it out and get no value from it.

Exactly right.

Any time anyone tells me "ALWAYS pull the pin", I think to myself "what a moronic thing to say".  It's a situational decision.

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Thu, May 25 2023 6:07 AM

Sam.....don't know if you were the one who wrote that last 2 line comment......but if so....

You & I have hit almost the SAME number of Ranked rounds.....a bit over 5,000.  You have approx. 580 holed approach shots vs. my 1,002 holed approach shots.  I seriously doubt that I would have made all of those "holed approach shots"...had I not been pulling the Flagstick each time before attempting my shots.

And, IMO, you should learn how to putt "down hill"...using the Flagstick as a backstop is the best method to handle down hill putts......just my opinion. 

Well...my putting percentage "could & should" be much higher than it is...but over the last 6 months, I have mostly been using very inexpensive balls or Free WGT balls to play with.....and I have never used the "putter pal" here on WGT, so a little too much guessing on my putts.

I do often times leave the Flagstick in the Hole while putting......but even still, if you hit your putt too hard...it can bounce off of that Flagstick...and lose a stroke.

I just happen to believe that the Flagstick "crowds the Hole"......so, I do pull it before every attempted shot when I'm OFF the Green.

Good Luck to You.

SoCalJim23

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Thu, May 25 2023 6:31 AM

SoCalJim23:

I do often times leave the Flagstick in the Hole while putting......but even still, if you hit your putt too hard...it can bounce off of that Flagstick...and lose a stroke.

It makes no difference whether you pull the pin during putting, while on the green, the botttom of the pin is not there.  A putt will not bounce off of the pin.  If putting from the fringe yes, pull it, as it will be there, just like approach shots.

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sat, May 27 2023 1:11 AM

However.......there have been a few times when I pulled the Flagstick before I attempted to make a Putt.....hit my ball a bit too hard and my ball "tried" to go into the hole but instead...bounced out of the hole landing 6 inches to 2 feet from the hole.  

Play this WGT game long enough & anything can happen.

• BlackBogey
    274 Posts
    Sat, May 27 2023 3:13 PM

SoCalJim23:

However.......there have been a few times when I pulled the Flagstick before I attempted to make a Putt.....hit my ball a bit too hard and my ball "tried" to go into the hole but instead...bounced out of the hole landing 6 inches to 2 feet from the hole.  

Play this WGT game long enough & anything can happen.

As was said, "pulling the pin" on putts from the green has no effect as it's done automatically.  From the fringe, different story.  If your ball is bouncing off the hole by 2 feet that's just a misread of distance or a violent lip-out, not ricocheting off the pin.  I do usually pull it myself on all putts simply because I read most of my putts in reverse view and pulling it removes an obstruction from watching the dots right near the hole.

• PAGES
RSS