Forums

Help › Forums

Playing from Fringe!

Sat, May 6 2023 11:00 AM (20 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2023 2:45 PM

CSM

Always map without apparel for all your clubs. As far as variances between practice and actual greens a number of variables come into play, spin, type of shot, and green speed being three of the most influential. I believe the best approach is to map your wedges as you have done and take them for a test drive on various greens. Your mapping will tell you how hard to hit the ball. Then try pitches, flops, chips, punches and look at the actual result. After some practice you will begin to see a pattern and that turns into game finesse. You know your mapping says hit 95%, but that has a tendency to go a yard or two long, I’ll hit 94% instead; my short pitches roll long, maybe I should use more backspin. With practice you will have the wedges honed it.

BTW, I don’t know if there is apparel that affects the performance of wedges.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2023 3:00 PM

If you decide to putt from the fringe, which is a viable alternative, you will need to add some additional power. I was instructed that if the ball is very close to the edge of the green, add 1’ to your distance. Further back add 2’. Adjust as you see fit for elevation.

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2023 4:34 PM

Cicero733:
    BTW, I don’t know if there is apparel that affects the performance of wedges.

Foxwind pants increases wedge distance

Foxwind glove slows the wedge meter speed

• AlaskanDame
    18,965 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2023 6:43 PM

alosso:

nilitara1:
    the most definite weakness is playing from the fringe either playing a pitch or chip shot, I just can’t seem to judge distances to the pin.
    Try a flop shot instead - it works well unless you are too close for a close to 100% shot.

Put full backspin on the ball, aim a good way to the left and off you go!

I love flops, but I use a different method of aiming than alosso mentions.  You CAN aim about 4 feet left of the pin, but I get best results from aiming AT the pin (of course upslope of the pin if the green is slanted), but then use the line to the LEFT of the normal ding line for tapping (but this doesn’t work in a bunker, mind you, just from some sort of grass).

In short, use left line for flop.  

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Fri, Apr 7 2023 10:22 PM

The problem with putting from the fringe is on most courses the fringe isn't defined very well. I sometimes can't tell if I'm putting through six inches or six foot of fringe.

Anything over 15 feet and/or a big breaker, I usually flop it. 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Wed, Apr 12 2023 11:16 PM

AlaskanDame:

alosso:

nilitara1:
    the most definite weakness is playing from the fringe either playing a pitch or chip shot, I just can’t seem to judge distances to the pin.
    Try a flop shot instead - it works well unless you are too close for a close to 100% shot.

Put full backspin on the ball, aim a good way to the left and off you go!

I love flops, but I use a different method of aiming than alosso mentions.  You CAN aim about 4 feet left of the pin, but I get best results from aiming AT the pin (of course upslope of the pin if the green is slanted), but then use the line to the LEFT of the normal ding line for tapping (but this doesn’t work in a bunker, mind you, just from some sort of grass).

In short, use left line for flop.  

Both ways of aiming the flop work, although when you leave the aimer over the hole and click the left marker, the shot loses a lot of its power and spin. That's why it doesn't work from bunkers. Same goes for any shot, when using the off-ding method...

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Apr 13 2023 9:14 AM

Duphpherer:
    The problem with putting from the fringe is on most courses the fringe isn't defined very well. I sometimes can't tell if I'm putting through six inches or six foot of fringe.
    Another caveat: There may be fairway between fringe and green, and putting through FW calls for doom!

This I discovered on one Par5 of CCC - #14(?), front right edge of the green.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Thu, Apr 13 2023 12:52 PM

alosso:

Duphpherer:
    Another caveat: There may be fairway between fringe and green, and putting through FW calls for doom!

This I discovered on one Par5 of CCC - #14(?), front right edge of the green.

Same goes for BPB #13, low right edge of the green. 

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Thu, May 4 2023 11:57 PM

A few examples that it is possible to achieve fringe success 👍🏻

• darek2
    1,874 Posts
    Sat, May 6 2023 9:14 AM

nilitara1:

Hi all

A relative novice here, hoping for a little guidance. I’ve been playing for a few months now, and I’m averaging just over 75 on level 64. I’m pretty happy how I’m going along, but the most definite weakness is playing from the fringe either playing a pitch or chip shot, I just can’t seem to judge distances to the pin.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, tried looking for tips on YouTube, but have got lost when spreadsheets and the like are brought up! I just need a roughy guide, and in time the shots should come as natural. It’s the gauging of how to judge the distance in the air, and roll of the ball that’s been a pain

Thanks in advance 

Nige

from fringe flop is gr8  to save a hole or even with luck make it in , from fringe flop hit same distance  fbs  and aim  left always  , with time you will  know how much  aim go out for  any distance's , just when is   huge  down try cut even 1 ft   ,,, for putter is is even or mini up green // I count distance  for regular putter and add 2-3 more , if is hot up like more then 10 up and fringe  I try add 4-6 and regular putt  , you will follow   some will go in some you will correct in future but for sure will close  and easy save or even br or eagle

I just make it putter from fringe at  Chamber #7  was like 7.3 y  I add to putter 2 more and hope  ( goes in :)  and  game vs Babzilla33  tie  ) 

if is to big space  between   fairway  fringe and green(  need it hit harder even  but better flop   same distance , mini fairway to 2 ft I try putt

RSS