Course Changes When Playing Higher Level Players

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 6 2023 1:19 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • EldrickCone
    6 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2023 7:06 PM

Hello,

My friends and I have been playing WGT for about 3 years (COVID). We play in a stroke play bracket with each other 3 times a year. There is 5 of us and for 4 of us we really only play against each other. The "commissioner" as he calls himself is plays WGT about 4 nights a week is is leveled in the upper 90's and is a Tour Master. The rest of us are Pro status and level 32 or 33. Obviously the "commissioner" the best skilled player and he is 9-0 in our tournaments.

In preparation for the upcoming tournament I stated practicing for the first time, taking notes on the courses and following suggested practice procedures others have posted about. I practiced with another player and both of us shot -1 with 2nd easiest tees, medium wind, medium hole location, and level 10 green speed. We had the opening round of play with the "commissioner" last night and he whooped our butts and he shot Even.

I was wondering when we play a stoke play game with a high level player do the parameters change? This was our first tournament with the "commissioner" being a Tour Master. I noticed he was one tee further back in distance however the green speeds were upped to 11. The wind was over 15 mph on Congressional the entire round and the hole locations were not locations I had seen before they were more difficult. We also thought the meter was much less forgiving then our practices if you didn't hit a "dinger" the ball went further off course then I have experienced. 

What parameters do I need to set my practice sessions to to achieve similar conditions? For reference I'm a level 33 using WGT starter clubs and balls.

Thanks

Eldrick Cone

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 1:12 AM

EldrickCone:
    I was wondering when we play a stoke play game with a high level player do the parameters change? This was our first tournament with the "commissioner" being a Tour Master. I noticed he was one tee further back in distance however the green speeds were upped to 11. The wind was over 15 mph on Congressional the entire round and the hole locations were not locations I had seen before they were more difficult. We also thought the meter was much less forgiving then our practices if you didn't hit a "dinger" the ball went further off course then I have experienced. 
    There are changes, and they may differ.

I take it that you play private 9 hole strokeplay games, setting them up individually and keeping tabs of the results yourselves?

There are two options:

1) Games might be set up as practice games, where all conditions, including the tees, are adjustable and common to all players. Having different tees, this is not your game.

2) In ranked multiplayer strokeplay games, the general conditions are of course common, like wind and green speeds which are set after the highest tier. Standard green speed for Tour Masters (TM) is "Tourney 1" at stimp 11, while Pros play "fast" greens at stimp 9. Playing together, it will be stimp (around) 11 for all.

Each player plays from his tier's tees, "medium" for Pros, "hard" for TMs.

There are at least two flag positions on the greens and it may be that certain tiers have different "standard" positions.

In practice rounds, you may set these conditions yourself, though the flag positions may not follow through.

And yes, conditions get harder with the tier progression, and you might share "harsher" conditions with your Tour Master.

I think that there is no better setting option to give equal chances to all, version 1 brings another advantage to higher tiers by equalizing the hole lengths (think longer clubs).

One option would be some "handicapping", like amending the scores by the difference in averages. But, for "friendly" games, it may not be necessary.

• GreenLaser
    175 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 2:17 AM

I don't know exactly how the conditions change with Tier, but my advice is to practice with the greens set to Tournament speed.  Putting is going to take some adjustment, and getting balls to stop when hitting approach shots, pitches, chips, etc. is also more difficult, especially with Starter clubs which have almost no spin.  

The greater deviation of off-ding shots was probably just due to the higher wind.  Try not to miss the ding on the downwind side which can really make shots go wrong.

• GreenLaser
    175 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 7:58 AM

Check your in box.  L15 Ben Hogan irons should be there.

• HamdenPro
    2,407 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 8:02 AM

EldrickCone:
    We also thought the meter was much less forgiving then our practices if you didn't hit a "dinger" the ball went further off course then I have experienced

It's VEM.  VEM becomes more noticeable as you play with higher tiered players. It is both a humbler and an equalizer.

Now, some may say VEM does not exist. These are the same people who scoff at St. Nick, they should be ignored. VEM is real.

• EldrickCone
    6 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2023 3:24 PM

Awesome, thank you for the information alosso!

• EldrickCone
    6 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2023 3:27 PM

Thank you so much!

• EldrickCone
    6 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2023 3:28 PM

Just did some research on VEM "Very Emotional Madness" lol. But thank you for the tips I will continue to practice. 

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2023 1:01 PM

EldrickCone:
    VEM "Very Emotional Madness"

• PAGES
RSS