Forums

Help › Forums

Some clubs harder to ding than others?

Wed, Feb 1 2023 10:27 PM (7 replies)
  • GreenLaser
    172 Posts
    Fri, Nov 18 2022 8:43 AM

I just spent some time hitting mulligans on some practice holes. I'm using an iPad. I was using Starter balls just trying to ding with various clubs, hitting full power.  Some of my clubs were much easier to ding.  Easy were my L74 TaylorMade driver and L67 & L45 Callaway wedges. My L86 Callaway 3WD, L85 Callaway irons, and L91 MAX Meter wedge were much harder to ding.  Is it the way a club's stats combine causing that or maybe clubs' stats combined with the Meter of the ball?  Meter speed and forgiveness of the clubs varied and don't seem to correlate simply with the dingability of my clubs.  Maybe it's just some peculiarity of my reaction time, but it doesn't seem that way to me. With the clubs that were hard to ding, I was often just barely on one side or the other of the ding line, and it felt like those should have been dings.

Anyone have any insights about this subject?  I'll probably try doing that again sometime and see if it was just a fluke.

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2022 12:00 PM

If you click on each club/club set, you will see that they may have different numbers for meter speed. The lower this number, the faster the meter line will move across the screen. If they’re all different numbers then you will have a difficult time hitting the ding consistently. 

As you progress through the game, you will want to choose your clubs that have the closest number for meter speed to each other. This way your timing will be much more consistent.

On the other hand if you want to try and play misding style, this is also an option and many people are successful with this method including myself.

• GreenLaser
    172 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2022 1:44 PM

I have a lot to learn about this game. I putt off-ding but figured hitting my other shots off-ding would be very, very difficult.  I haven't even tried that method.  I do try to buy clubs that are consistent with their meters.  Thanks for that video. I'll give the misding (or off-ding as I call it) style a go and see what happens.

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2022 9:25 PM

• Pdss1ear
    169 Posts
    Tue, Nov 22 2022 7:26 AM

The probability of hitting a box on either side of the line is the same as the probability of hitting a box that is centered on the line.  The white line at least gives you an aiming point.

• GreenLaser
    172 Posts
    Tue, Nov 22 2022 10:16 AM

Lack of a precise visual aiming point does make it tougher to be consistent when trying to hit on either side of the ding line, but after trying the misding (off-ding) method I've found out that you don't need to be as precise.  

I just started trying out this method, and after about 15-20 practice holes, I played the front 9 of Best of Par 5 Holes and scored two strokes lower than my previous best.  Played a couple of 18 hole rounds of PGA National after that and wasn't as successful, but my scores were in the range of what I usually do on that course.  I'm encouraged that I did as well as I did with so little experience with this style of play.  I think I'm going to have more balls rolling toward the hole after they land than away from it.  I got an eagle during the practice holes because of that and an eagle on the Best of Par 5 round because of that.

I switched to off-ding putting not too long ago and discovered that I need a slower meter for that because of the lack of a ding line to aim for. I switched from a 4.5 meter putter to a 5.0 meter putter.  Slower balls make off-ding putting easier, too, but (for the most part) I'm still using 0.0 meter balls.  I'm sure slowing down the meter will make misdinging with the other clubs more consistent. I'm looking forward to experimenting with that.

• YouLostToALoser
    189 Posts
    Mon, Dec 12 2022 11:20 AM

Babzilla33:

If you click on each club/club set, you will see that they may have different numbers for meter speed. The lower this number, the faster the meter line will move across the screen. If they’re all different numbers then you will have a difficult time hitting the ding consistently. 

As you progress through the game, you will want to choose your clubs that have the closest number for meter speed to each other. This way your timing will be much more consistent.

On the other hand if you want to try and play misding style, this is also an option and many people are successful with this method including myself.

I kinda knew this subconsciously, but it’s good to get someone articulate it as well as you did...especially since you’re a top player. I shall use that strategy with more purpose in future, thanks.

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2023 10:27 PM

Hope it helps and brings you good scores mate 💪🏻

RSS