Forums

Help › Forums

National mulligan day . Oct 17th .

Thu, Oct 20 2022 7:26 AM (6 replies)
  • craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Mon, Oct 17 2022 2:22 PM

NATIONAL MULLIGAN DAY | OCTOBER 17

National Mulligan Day is observed annually on October 17th. 

#NationalMulliganDay

In golf, a mulligan happens when a player gets a second chance to perform a specific move or action. The day offers an opportunity for giving yourself a second chance or, as some people call it, a “do-over.” .

According to the United States Golf Association (USGA), three different stories explain the origin of the term. The first derives from the name of a Canadian golfer, David Mulligan, a one-time manager of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, who played golf in the 1920s.  A different, later, etymology gives credit to John A. “Buddy” Mulligan, a locker room attendant at Essex Fells C.C., New Jersey, in the 1930s.  Another story, according to author Henry Beard, states that the term comes from Thomas Mulligan, a minor Anglo-Irish aristocrat and a passionate golfer who was born in 1793.

According to the United States Golf Association (USGA), the term first achieved widespread use in the 1940s..

HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL MULLIGAN DAY

We can all think of something that at one point in time, we have said, “I wish I could do that over.”  Celebrate the day by taking your do-over. Also, be considerate and offer a Mulligan to a few friends and neighbors out there. Some days we all deserve it..

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Mon, Oct 17 2022 4:44 PM
  • HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Mon, Oct 17 2022 7:35 PM

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Oct 17 2022 11:14 PM

craigswan:
    HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL MULLIGAN DAY

We can all think of something that at one point in time, we have said, “I wish I could do that over.”  Celebrate the day by taking your do-over. Also, be considerate and offer a Mulligan to a few friends and neighbors out there. Some days we all deserve it..

May I say that my senior golf buddies and I have "Mulligan day" every day?

Some have also created the "Nassau Mulligans" - one for each half course, and there is the roaming Mulligan - not limited to hole 1 but (one per round) on any hole you need it.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2022 2:36 AM

HamdenPro:
    Duplicate post ....

But surely he's allowed to post it twice as it was National mulligan day.

That said, unless I'm mistaken about which Nation is being referred to, he is stealing some of your cultural gems ;-) 

• craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Tue, Oct 18 2022 6:40 AM

An American citizen is vacationing on his own in Ireland. He decides to play a round and is paired with three locals.

He takes a few practice swings, steps up to the first tee, and proceeds to hook the ball out of bounds. He shakes his head, reaches in his pocket, and re-tees another ball. .

He tells his playing partners that he is taking a mulligan. He pounds one down the centre of the fairway.

With a big smile, he asks the others, “In the States, we call that a mulligan .

What do you call it here in Ireland?” After a moment of silence, one of the locals replies, “Hitting three.”

• craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2022 7:26 AM

GET TO KNOW YOUR CUSTOMERS DAY

Get to Know Your Customers Day reminds businesses to reach out to patrons and get to know them better. The day is observed annually on the third Thursday of each quarter (January, April, July, October). 

When businesses get to know their customers, they also get to know more about what they need to grow. Remember when Main Street businesses were locally owned and operated? The owners knew you by name and knew your shopping habits. Additionally, they typically knew what you wanted to buy. Not surprisingly, they were willing to get it in for you if they didn’t have it..

Tips for Knowing Your Customer:
    • Ask your customers questions. Find out what services and products they need.
    • Use social media. Get the word out about your specials and new product. Social media is a great tool to find out what your customers like and don’t like about your store. It’s important to respond as quickly as possible. When you do, it will be noticed. remember, fixing a negative customer experience in a positive way can show you stand by your word. In turn, it could transfer into future multiple sales.
    • Follow up on a purchase. Ask your customers how their purchase or service worked for them. Not only will you find out about your product, but you will learn more about your customer and the services they need..
RSS