Forums

Help › Forums

Speed Golf Anyone?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 4 2022 3:48 AM (7 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Sun, Oct 2 2022 4:41 PM

What effect do you think it would have on the game if the PGA started setting 45 or 60 second shot clocks on every shot during tournaments? For that matter, how would you like it if you and some friends went to course on a sunny Saturday morning and one of the guys pulled out a stopwatch and told everyone they had 45 seconds to set up and shoot. Oh, I suppose some hacks might think that that was a hoot but I'm betting that for serious golfers, people who care about the art and science of the game, the fir would fly.

What's with the 45 second time clock anyway? Is this game about speed, getting the damn game over as fast as possible? Are we trying to figure ways to trip up or discourage the slower players? If trick golf is your thing, head for the coin rooms but for those of us who are in it for the enjoyment, 90 seconds is completely reasonable. Most of us rarely use 60 seconds anyway but we like the extra time if we have a particularly difficult shot. It makes for a more pleasant experience. Just saying...

• IamNicklaus
    494 Posts
    Mon, Oct 3 2022 2:58 AM

Slimjim001:
    If trick golf is your thing, head for the coin rooms but for those of us who are in it for the enjoyment, 90 seconds is completely reasonable. Most of us rarely use 60 seconds anyway but we like the extra time if we have a particularly difficult shot. It makes for a more pleasant experience.

If people didnt find 45 secs play "enjoyable" then they wouldn't select it ...as far as a more pleasant experience is concerned , you can't speak for anyone else in that regard .

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, Oct 3 2022 6:02 AM

Slimjim001:
    Oh, I suppose some hacks might think that that was a hoot but I'm betting that for serious golfers, people who care about the art and science of the game, the fir would fly.

+1000

Im good with 45sec in coin rooms, do not understand why people want quicker clocks in normal game modes and am amazed at how many people advocate for quicker clocks...

I also find it is surprisingly not Hacks asking for quicker clocks, it seems to be mostly C and TC that want to join the "Elite".

Their own ego can not stand the fact that they cant beat some people on 90sec so they want to rush the other person into making a mistake, Its childish IMO...

Its the same rational behind single vs unlimited play tourneys and the same people advocate for it for the same reason.

• Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Mon, Oct 3 2022 8:34 AM

Great insight. Thank you.

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Mon, Oct 3 2022 11:05 AM

I dont mind playing 60 sec but sometimes you get that tough putt where 90 sec would be nice. The thing that drives me crazy is when someone takes almost 90 sec off the tee. The tee shot is the easiest shot in the game. Show downs have the 45 sec clock and there are times I feel rushed on the green. I play mostly A/S and when I set the game its 60 sec.

• SamSpayed
    4,899 Posts
    Mon, Oct 3 2022 3:40 PM

callaghan159:
    I dont mind playing 60 sec but sometimes you get that tough putt where 90 sec would be nice.

Agreed.  I don't mind a 60 sec clock myself, but I find it amazing how many people will set up or insist on a 60 sec clock, and then time out themselves when they're faced with a tricky putt.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Oct 3 2022 4:29 PM

SamSpayed:

callaghan159:
    I dont mind playing 60 sec but sometimes you get that tough putt where 90 sec would be nice.

Agreed.  I don't mind a 60 sec clock myself, but I find it amazing how many people will set up or insist on a 60 sec clock, and then time out themselves when they're faced with a tricky putt.

I've never faced a putt I considered to be tricky or difficult.  Mind you, I did miss most of them..(:

sayin'

ct

• craigswan
    30,973 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2022 3:48 AM

In real golf you have a walk up to your ball to think about next shot sometimes 200 yards .

You can have the club picked , the shot played in your head and advice from your partner before you even reach the ball .

For a putt you can read it over and over while the other's are parking up .

180 minutes for 18 holes is all you need .

The rest is just a good walk wasted .

But then on wgt you cannot do this .

So i vote 60 seconds .

Destiny 2 Rage GIF by DestinyTheGame

RSS