Forums

Help › Forums

Tiebreak Procedure

Fri, Jan 14 2022 10:43 AM (38 replies)
  • genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:52 AM

SOYEL1:

Well, I don't think is always the  first who posted the one that takes the first place. I remember I got first place in a Tournament after getting the same score as another player and kept it for a while until somebody dropped the mark. That player had a 28, I think and I posted another 28 and was in the first place for some days until someone got a 27 and then I was second as everybody else with the same score. I do remember I posted after somebody and they gave me the first place. I think  I saw the same in the NKF when someone posted a 51 before suncity28 (I am not so sure about this one though) But sure you may know better as you play those tournaments more often. What WGT takes into account for awarding first place is a mystery to me yet.

That's because the scorecards were not identical and other tiebreaker are used in that case (see tournament rules). For example, on a 9-holes, player A post a score of -8 (birdie the first 8 holes and par the last hole); player B post also a score of -8 (par the first hole and birdie the last 8 holes). They have the same score but not the same scorecard. In this example, whenever the two scores are posted, player B will be ranked ahead of player A.

Now if both players have an identical scorecard (for example they birdie all the 9 holes), then the player who first posted the score will be ranked ahead of the other. This post is about this last issue.

Personally, I also think that (all) tiebreaker should be related to the game play (but don't care much for the moment). Even the tiebreaker used when we have identical scores but different scorecards have no much sense. If two players play a 18-holes, player A has a score of 27+30 = 57 and another has a score of 30+27 = 57, the second player is ranked ahead of the first. I don't see any good reason for this. Why the back 9 is more important than the front 9? But I agree that the tiebreaker used when we have two identical scorecards has even less sense :) .

Regards

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:01 AM

Thanks Genorb. I understand better now and still don't understand why that nonsense. Got the picture from what you wrote but as you say "I don't see the reason why 30+27 is better than 27+30 or one 57 better than the other. Still think some aspects of the game should decide it and not who posted first or had the best last round.  Some kind of more Universal rule for defining a tie break should be stated. As I mentioned before We can get the same result, but we don't all land within 5 feet, or made Eagles or get a 100 feet putt... all these are achievements that could define in the end who had a better round even when two players had the same scorecard. You can make an Eagle after landing in the rough and that is a great achievement that can make you standout. We all know there are lots of factors that can be taken into account. If by one of those things that happen in the game, you land 100 feet from the hole and you make that putt... isn't that important? Or if your GIR in the game was 100 %... or if you made 3 Eagles or had one HIO even if you par a couple of holes. The game could award points for that also and make them tie breakers. What we all agree is that what we have now doesn't work well.

• xtabent
    2,281 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:11 PM

This doesnt have to be that difficult..Just for the programers.nearest to the pin on first par 3 in game.you get a 27 or what ever and a little no. next to your name ..closest wins ..in the event of 2 no's the same then pistols at 40 yards..

• PGAbound67
    565 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:38 PM

The problem isn't the overall tiebreak system, WGT uses the same tiebreak system as the USGA up to the part of ev thing being identical. The problem here is having identical scores, the person who posted the round first is declared the winner...If player A goes out and finishes his round of 9 birdies @ 12:00, and Player B finishes his round of 9 birdies @ 12:01...player A wins, and that's just not right in my opinion. It's something that needs to be looked at, pretty sure I'd be in favor of anything but this.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:21 PM

PGAbound67:

The problem isn't the overall tiebreak system, WGT uses the same tiebreak system as the USGA up to the part of ev thing being identical. The problem here is having identical scores, the person who posted the round first is declared the winner...If player A goes out and finishes his round of 9 birdies @ 12:00, and Player B finishes his round of 9 birdies @ 12:01...player A wins, and that's just not right in my opinion. It's something that needs to be looked at, pretty sure I'd be in favor of anything but this.

i couldn't agree more with you on that one.

i think in such an outcome....both players should split the purse of 1st and 2nd and be called joint or tied winners.

tbe

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:50 PM

PGAbound67:
    he problem isn't the overall tiebreak system, WGT uses the same tiebreak system as the USGA

I don't think so, I may be wrong, but has an USGA event ever been not played out?

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:00 PM

I don't think the USGA uses any type of tiebreaker that does not require playing out the round until there is a winner.  The USGA does use the first in score for determining the pairing order for the final two rounds.

In some events that I have played in that do not have the ability to have a playoff, the same system that WGT is using is put into place.

Regarding what Sam is talking about, I totally agree that it should not be a random he who posts first wins but some tiebreaker that is skill based.  Since the stats for many things are kept, I would assume that for first place, WGT could use something like total distance of putts made or average distance to the hole or something like that to break the tie.

• sunshinewilly
    346 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2011 7:11 AM

WGTIcon,

Can you please acknowledge that you have seen this thread and let us know that you guys are either going to look into it or not?  This is a fairly prominent post and there are lots of good points in here.  Many of your top players have stated that they are not happy with the current system of identical score tie breaks.  Good or bad, its always good to know what is going on.  

Thanks, 

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2011 4:14 PM

As far as ready-go's are concerned, I have often wondered why they don't split first place purse period like they do for the rest of the finishing places. Seems to make more sense.

I understand the logic where there is an actual "prize" like a trip or gift card or whatever, but to all the points made above, I would suggest splitting credit purses to ties in 1st place. 

Spread the love man!!

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:47 PM

Next year for example.

USA open 

Or

British open

If there happens to be 2 players tied for 1st place , be hard to take if you lost on tie brake as there is no runner up prize (all or nothing) but can not award a holiday to both players. But be hard to take losing like that.

RSS