Help › Forums

Tiebreak Procedure

Fri, Jan 14 2022 10:43 AM (38 replies)
  • PETERGEORGE1
    572 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 4:45 AM

Heres some food for thought -

In the event of the tied scores being identical -

Ist Tie break - No of greens in Regulation - If still tied......

the person with the least distance putting over the round should win - thereby rewarding good all round play.

Discuss.....

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 6:11 AM

Hmmm...

instead of whoever posted the score first, how about making the tie break whoever finished the round quicker!

Would be kinda funny,  make it speed golf.. lol

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:16 AM

Hmmmm.... I like the CTTH idea... in fact, they could just tack on a single shot at the end of every ready-go round for use in tiebreaker purposes only... and it doesn't have to apply to first place only.  keep all of the rest of the tiebreak rules in place, just replace the "earliest posted" drivel with the ctth score.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:16 AM

Well, I don't think is always the  first who posted the one that takes the first place. I remember I got first place in a Tournament after getting the same score as another player and kept it for a while until somebody dropped the mark. That player had a 28, I think and I posted another 28 and was in the first place for some days until someone got a 27 and then I was second as everybody else with the same score. I do remember I posted after somebody and they gave me the first place. I think  I saw the same in the NKF when someone posted a 51 before suncity28 (I am not so sure about this one though) But sure you may know better as you play those tournaments more often. What WGT takes into account for awarding first place is a mystery to me yet.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:27 AM

Well Avatar, the idea may seem good, but not feasible all the time. Some people cannot be  reachable 100 % of the time in that case. The point is you may post the score at the last minute and then travel out of the country and be unable to play for days. In that case, what would you do? People play here from any part of the world and at different times. You will complain as well if it takes days to define a winner. World Golf Tour should clearly define the Tournament rules stating in case of a tie what defines the places. It could be average distance to pin, longest putts,  total of putts taken, or the most gracious, well mannered and groomed player... anything, but clear. Just my opinion.

Hmmmm.... I like the CTTH idea... in fact, they could just tack on a single shot at the end of every ready-go round for use in tiebreaker purposes only... and it doesn't have to apply to first place only.  keep all of the rest of the tiebreak rules in place, just replace the "earliest posted" drivel with the ctth score.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:47 AM

Soyel, Lee meant that the CTTH hole would be played immediately after the player had  finished the tourney round no matter what. No need to interrupt your travel plans.. :)

The prize going to whoever posts first works well in these week long tourneys - It sort of discourages waiting to see what you need to shoot before teeing off. - especially so in unlimited play - should they guy that took 18 restarts take your position when you did it first time out? It is problematic in RG's however. and really only in the 9 hole ones.

Really this all just goes to show how silly a 9 hole golf tourney is to begin with. (imo - of course)

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:01 AM

bird, the one that just finished the game can go on with the CTTH, but what about the one that posted the score hours before? We are talking about two people that play at different times and have different lives. One posts a score, gets first place and goes on with his life, then comes another and posts the same score.... goes on with his CTTH thing, but what about the first? There is a time frame for everything, if you are not there, simply you can't play it. In the rules, it should say clearly, that in case of a tie. Should you force the first one to play a CTTH just in case someone else posts the same score? What I am saying is, that people have their own lives outside WGT, some can be here 12, 14 17 hours a day, but some can only play minutes or hours. IMO, more reasonable would be, state the aspects that would define a winner of first place in case of a tie. It could be longest putts, least putts distance, average distance from the hole during the game, Eagles made, driving and approach accuracy... but something should be define beforehand that makes you think that you can still get first place even if you tie.Adding an extra shot can work against you as well, you may have the round of your life and get a meter in your last shot, just like that.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:06 AM

What they are saying is  EVERYBODY has a CTTH after the tourney, even the player who posted a 40, regardless of time.

Then if there is a score tie, the CTTH is used to decide first place.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:06 AM

every one who completes the ready go tourney takes the shot - in case of ties, not if their are ties. understand?

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:18 AM

Anyway, I think is easier to define the winner by how you played during the game in one or some aspects, than by the result of a shot with all the inconsistencies of the game. You played the game and everything is there, let that decide. Just saying.

MBaggese:

What they are saying is  EVERYBODY has a CTTH after the tourney, even the player who posted a 40, regardless of time.

Then if there is a score tie, the CTTH is used to decide first place.

RSS