Forums

Help › Forums

Forfeiting. Can anything be done?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 27 2022 8:45 PM (20 replies)
  • FatFace68
    79 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 6:46 AM

I'm not sure what's going on, but this week I have had a number of players forfeit against me. Now I'm not a great player (somedays I wouldn't even call myself a good player), but today I've played two 9 hole coin games and both times the player has just given up. This week I must've had about 10 games go the same way. Can anything be done to stop players giving up so easily? Is there any kind of penalty that can be given if your forfeit percentage goes above a certain level? 

The only time I forfeit is if the game has glitched and frozen and there's no other option. If you can't handle playing badly or getting beat, then find another game. I've had games where I'm +8 or more and getting my ass kicked, but I still plough on to the bitter end, as it's not fair on my opponent to just give up in a hissy fit and walk away. 

Sorry for the rant, but I just find it so annoying and frustrating. 

Andy

• MojosMojo
    104 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 11:22 AM

FatFace68:

I'm not sure what's going on, but this week I have had a number of players forfeit against me. Now I'm not a great player (somedays I wouldn't even call myself a good player), but today I've played two 9 hole coin games and both times the player has just given up. This week I must've had about 10 games go the same way. Can anything be done to stop players giving up so easily? Is there any kind of penalty that can be given if your forfeit percentage goes above a certain level? 

The only time I forfeit is if the game has glitched and frozen and there's no other option. If you can't handle playing badly or getting beat, then find another game. I've had games where I'm +8 or more and getting my ass kicked, but I still plough on to the bitter end, as it's not fair on my opponent to just give up in a hissy fit and walk away.

Andy

Yes, just like I find your complaint frustrating.

Not everyone is playing a coin game for the same reason. Here are a couple of examples: Many play for Turf War purposes, so it behooves them to play quickly. If they feel a loss is inevitable they move on to get a win for their club. Some are only playing because of apparel and have a 30 minute window and losing bronze apparel boxes are useless so they move on to get a win and get a silver or gold box (on the other side they also don’t understand or like guys who never accept their inevitable defeat and take the loss so that they can move on).

Many can’t stand that a player who is +8 keeps playing with no chance to win. They want you to quit so they can start and finish another game.

So while you think that if you “plough on to the bitter end” is being fair to your opponent remember this: a great many of them are cursing you for being a jerk and not letting them move on to the next game.

They know that everyone playing wants to get in as many games as possible in a short amount of time and here you are jerking them around with ZERO chance to win. Yes, I talk to many of these people and hear it ad nauseam. They don’t even consider your point of view.They don’t think you are a sportsman for continuing on with no chance, they think you are a complete and total jerk.

So they are as guilty of a lack of awareness as you are. Perhaps an intelligent person like yourself could have answered this question had you only thought to ask yourself about why this pattern is forming. 

Understand now? 

Not everybody has the same motivations as you and you assuming that they do is you being selfish and inconsiderate of others ( that must of been shocking for you to read ). A great question to ask one’s self when they see a pattern developing is why? Try it.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 1:03 PM

FatFace68:
    I just find it so annoying and frustrating. 
    It certainly is, but life at the screens is still free, and you can't hinder players to quit games to their liking.

I found it best to play with friends or even CC mates - only one ever excused(!) himself from a game, to tend to his toddler.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 1:15 PM

alosso:
    only one ever excused(!) himself from a game, to tend to his toddler.

Tend to his toddler?? He'd better find a better excuse. LOL 

• FatFace68
    79 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2022 3:00 PM

alosso:

FatFace68:
    I just find it so annoying and frustrating. 
    It certainly is, but life at the screens is still free, and you can't hinder players to quit games to their liking

A fair point. The post was written in frustration as yet another game ended far too soon.  

• FatFace68
    79 Posts
    Fri, Sep 16 2022 5:41 AM

MojosMojo:

FatFace68:

Andy

Yes, just like I find your complaint frustrating.

Not everyone is playing a coin game for the same reason. Here are a couple of examples: Many play for Turf War purposes, so it behooves them to play quickly. If they feel a loss is inevitable they move on to get a win for their club. Some are only playing because of apparel and have a 30 minute window and losing bronze apparel boxes are useless so they move on to get a win and get a silver or gold box (on the other side they also don’t understand or like guys who never accept their inevitable defeat and take the loss so that they can move on).

Many can’t stand that a player who is +8 keeps playing with no chance to win. They want you to quit so they can start and finish another game.

So while you think that if you “plough on to the bitter end” is being fair to your opponent remember this: a great many of them are cursing you for being a jerk and not letting them move on to the next game.

They know that everyone playing wants to get in as many games as possible in a short amount of time and here you are jerking them around with ZERO chance to win. Yes, I talk to many of these people and hear it ad nauseam. They don’t even consider your point of view.They don’t think you are a sportsman for continuing on with no chance, they think you are a complete and total jerk.

So they are as guilty of a lack of awareness as you are. Perhaps an intelligent person like yourself could have answered this question had you only thought to ask yourself about why this pattern is forming. 

Understand now? 

Not everybody has the same motivations as you and you assuming that they do is you being selfish and inconsiderate of others ( that must of been shocking for you to read ). A great question to ask one’s self when they see a pattern developing is why? Try it.

Wow. 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2022 12:19 AM

FatFace68:
    The post was written in frustration as yet another game ended far too soon.  
    It's frustrating for sure, and it shows underwhelming social skills of the quitter. An excuse or an explanation shouldn't be too much to be asked for.

Quitting abruptly shows, IMHO, that the player neglects the humanity of his playing partner. Not good!

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2022 12:23 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    alosso:
    only one ever excused(!) himself from a game, to tend to his toddler.

Tend to his toddler?? He'd better find a better excuse. LOL

It was no cop-out.

IIRC, I heard the toddler in Skype, and that father lost a match in a community competition when the kid awoke prematurely.

• FatFace68
    79 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2022 10:31 AM

alosso:

FatFace68:
    The post was written in frustration as yet another game ended far too soon.  
    It's frustrating for sure, and it shows underwhelming social skills of the quitter. An excuse or an explanation shouldn't be too much to be asked for.

Quitting abruptly shows, IMHO, that the player neglects the humanity of his playing partner. Not good!

That's my feeling too. 

Thank you. 

RSS