1,655 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2022 12:40 PM

HamdenPro:

Sorry, could not resist..

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Mon, Aug 8 2022 2:01 PM

HamdenPro:

Hey everybody look, this is the Inflation Reduction Act !!!

Don

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2022 8:01 AM

PureGro1:

But its not BLACK/WHITE why people play the game and would spend money on the game. This is why there are multiple flavors of ice cream...Were all different and have varied reasons for doing the things we do.

Insulting others choices and deciding they are "Feebleminded" is possibly not the best way to try to make your point.

I hear you, but they're definitely no longer trying to lure golfers as was their original target audience.  The new target audience is putt putt families.  True, putt putt families aren't  comprised of only feebleminded people, but, most want to sink that HIO on #18 for whatever it is they're giving away.  That's the new WGT/TopGolf.  They're playing us for fools.  Putt Putt with trinkets.  SMFH.

As for the way I choose to make my point...I call it like I see it.  And currently that's the way I see it.  Sorry if people get offended.  What, is this forum becoming a Zuckerberglike controlled arena?  First the chat censoring.  Next the forum. F that.

I actually play the game as my mother died from Pick's Disease and I have a sister suffering from dementia and is in an  assisted living dementia wing.  My hope is the math involved in the game will keep me sharp.  But, the silliness of today's WGT, and where it appears to be heading, will definitely only advance the stages of dementia should I get stricken.  Again, just the way I see it.

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2022 8:17 AM

pmm711:
    As for the way I choose to make my point...I call it like I see it.  And currently that's the way I see it.  Sorry if people get offended.  What, is this forum becoming a Zuckerberglike controlled arena?  First the chat censoring.  Next the forum. F that.

+1 honestly...I think its a lot to do with perspective- I have the same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach too.

I wasn't a gamer nor a golfer, I grew up in Arcades playing pinball and played consoles for years but not much time invested at all. Played a 9 hole course with rented clubs and range balls just for fun for a bit.

I personally in 2019 ended up with some free time and took a friends link to WGT...and it made me like golf- lol. At the end of the day, I enjoy playing with the group I started with and enjoy playing with some others and I do agree that it seems to be going in wrong direction.

pmm711:
    But, the silliness of today's WGT, and where it appears to be heading, will definitely only advance the stages of dementia should I get stricken.  Again, just the way I see it.

Its a small world man...Dad and his Mom for me. I try to do same, preventive maintenance is my hope.

It not for everyone but you may like to check out this link...
    https://www.beingpatient.com/cannabis-dementia/

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2022 8:55 AM

pmm711:
    I actually play the game as my mother died from Pick's Disease and I have a sister suffering from dementia and is in an  assisted living dementia wing.  My hope is the math involved in the game will keep me sharp. 

Years ago now - I postulated that WGT could potentially be used as a form of "evaluation" or potential sign of skills declining.  Hand eye reflexes, timing, etc.

The only challenge I see with that now - is the game has built in random variance that can even make a fully competent person feel inept at times.  One minute you are playing near perfect and the next you can't make a birdie because the gaming algorithms have decided to "test" or maybe even evaluate your play for cheat software - as such - nothing you do can overcome the messed up variance you will get at times.

So - the only thing I would caution you now - is don't take the game as always being a sign of your own progress or decline - you would need to look at overall and longer trends versus and short time scoring swing fluctuations.  If you doubt that look at the number of high level players WD in 1000 credit RG's they are fully competent but get either BS winds or wonky variance that leaves them frustrated to the point of WD'g.

However, if you have a family member or fellow club member you play with regularly in multi player games they may be able to gently prod you to check in with a doctor because catching something early is much better than catching it later when less can be done to delay or possibly offset some of the cognitive decline.

I share this from observations and having family members with debilitating diseases, not as a medical professional or anything - just a concerned person hoping to offer some additional insight.

Yes, I still agree that the math and thought process involved can help keep the mind active - but the game is not designed for mental health or physical well being - could it be?   Yes, but in it's current form - it is more designed to seek profit and induce variance that will throw off even the best in the game at times, so that hinders anyone seeking to evaluate their day to day playing ability which could possibly swing more than what is normal.

I have even had some chats with friends that are very competent at the game - yet WGT has frustrated them to the point they feel like something is wrong - and they know what they are doing they have demonstrated it for years, but the game just seems to force people to play poorly or poorly by their standards at times.  

Because of this, I think the game at times can further frustrate and antagonize even healthy people because they go from feeling completely competent to being made to feel incompetent with swings of variance that prevents them from scoring as well as they normally would - and that is what WGT supposedly seeks to model - the scoring swings experienced in real golf - regardless of how competent you get.  

• Pvall
    33 Posts
    Tue, Aug 9 2022 10:17 AM

Good replies like the chicken @@@@ - I think to use WGT as a mental health check isnt the best as we all know the meter works on its own accord. but if it helps ie the competitive focus point defo. 

Just another annoying thing - when you play a coin game and ends you have to wait sooooo long to go through the XP points, Boxes - only then your opponent has left - I would like to say well played deserved (which is very normal for me to lose) to them. Why cant all the clicking HS be done after?? 

Thank you WGT seems the goal pop ups are now after the event..

Still I would like to hear about my CLASH/TURF comments/thoughts.

• PAGES
RSS