10,086 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2022 1:01 AM

Any news Simon?

Don't reply if you are resting.  : )

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2022 10:43 AM

Hey Scott,

I had the surgery yesterday morning as scheduled. The surgery itself lasted only about 20 minutes but I stayed at the hospital for about 4 hours in total. (Just lots of administrative procedures, preparations and waiting, you know...) A day past now, no severe pain or discomfort other than feeling somewhat sandy(?) or scratchy on the eye. I have to apply 5 different eyedrops all at different frequency 3-4 times a day for a month now so it's kinda annoying but hey... if I can see clear again, I'd better suck it up and do it, eh?

Unfortunately, Scott, I guess I don't look cool at all wearing this transparent plastic eye patch. According to my son, I look like some sort of bada$$ villain in a B-class SF movie.

Anyway, thank you, Scott and also all of you guys, ct, Craig, Paul (pmm711) and PureGro1 who wrote me warm & kind words. I truly appreciate it. Cheers.

Simon

↓↓Thank you once again, guys! 😄 ↓↓

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2022 1:09 PM

Great to hear that things went well Simon. I think I can sympathize with the scratchy eye thing, having had small particles fly in while motorcycling, very uncomfortable.

I hope the recovery goes smoothly bud and that you'll be seeing us all with perfect clarity in the very near future. ; )

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2022 1:56 PM

Good job .

GIF by Lvstvcrv

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2022 4:26 PM

I too have cataracts in both eyes (rt worse than the left) .. Got new glasses last month that helped a lot.

I am scared to death of the surgery.

Not surgeries in general, as I have had multiple cancer plus other serious surgeries that I didn't put much thought into. (have had most of my nose cut off twice)

But the thought of someone cutting on my eyes makes me cringe in fear. They can fix many things, but once you are blind, you are blind.

My brother had Lasik years ago and cataract surgery last month (he is happy with both).

Out of curiosity, did you stick with the original Doctor, get a second opinion, and which plan did you elect?

Wishing you all the best for a quick and successful recovery.

KenB

PS. now if I am able to get my hands to stop shaking I may be ably to get close to a ding

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2022 6:06 PM

KenBTEXAS:
    But the thought of someone cutting on my eyes makes me cringe in fear. They can fix many things, but once you are blind, you are blind.

Hi Ken,

As I mentioned above, the surgery took only 20 minutes or so and was quite simple (for me as a patient, I mean, I don't know about the doctor's side.) All I had to do was to lie down straight on a bed, stay still and look at the bright surgical lights. They gave me Xanax for sedation, but I was well awake and felt no pain during the whole operation.

KenBTEXAS:
    My brother had Lasik years ago and cataract surgery last month (he is happy with both).

Good for him. :-) It's too premature for me to say anything further in my case. I'll have to see how this goes.

KenBTEXAS:
    Out of curiosity, did you stick with the original Doctor, get a second opinion, and which plan did you elect?

Yes, I did and chose the Johnson & Johnson Eyhance Toric (the 6th one in the chart). When I met the doctor for the second time, I frankly told him all my concerns and he was quite frank with me, too. Long story short, with Johnson & Johnson, you will see things real sharp clear but have to choose 2 out of 3 ranges (near-sighted, mid-range and far-sighted.) With Alcon Vivity, on the other hand, all the 3 ranges are covered, but neither of them will be as sharp clear as Johnson & Johnson's. Generally speaking, ladies prefer Alcon since they tend to weigh esthetics (not having to wear glasses any more) over functionality while men tend to do the opposite. In my case, I've chosen near & mid-range for my right eye, and in the next cataract surgery on my left one (the doctor said it's already developing so it's only a matter of time), I'll be choosing near & far-range so that all the three ranges are covered eventually. Well, one thing you've got to bear in mind is obviously the technology advances as time passes by so most likely better products WILL come out, but these seem to be the options available for now according to the doctor.

KenBTEXAS:

Wishing you all the best for a quick and successful recovery.

KenB

Thank you, Ken. Appreciate it. :)

KenBTEXAS:
    PS. now if I am able to get my hands to stop shaking I may be ably to get close to a ding

Nah, don't hold your breath for it. I just played some coin-room matches today and... it didn't make me a better player, not a single bit. Sorry for the bad news.

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2022 2:55 AM

WoW, 

thanks for that information, and sharing your struggles.

I think I will hold off as long as I can. However as quickly as my eyes deteriorated over this past year I imagine it won't be to long before I will be forced to act. Delay the inevitable.

Have been wearing glasses for 60+years so that is not a consideration.. 😁

The 'Alcon Vivity' says they are good for golf to .. LoL

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2022 11:38 AM

KenBTEXAS:

thanks for that information, and sharing your struggles.

No problem, Ken. See... this is the information I wish I had myself before the surgery so if this can be helpful for someone like me, then it's my pleasure really.

KenBTEXAS:
    I think I will hold off as long as I can.

Not a bad idea if you're waiting for better lens products, but do not postpone it too long. The doctor said the longer you delay it, the cloudier & harder your eye lens become which makes the removal & treatment more complicated and difficult.

KenBTEXAS:
    The 'Alcon Vivity' says they are good for golf to .. LoL

Well, once again according to the doctor, it depends on each individual, how much you can tolerate. Some people say it's not a big deal not having 100% clear focus, they can live with it while others complain and regret for having chosen it as hell. It's, therefore, really up to you to decide what's more important to you. The world would've been a perfect place if we had a "J&J + Alcon" lens product but helas... it is what it is for now at least.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2022 12:05 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    I had the surgery yesterday morning as scheduled.

Wishing you a speedy and moist recovery.  Keep the drops flowing.  CHEERS!

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2022 12:20 PM

pmm711:
    Wishing you a speedy and moist recovery.  Keep the drops flowing.  CHEERS!

Thank you, Paul! 🙏

• PAGES
RSS