Forums

Help › Forums

Always Playing Much Higher Ranks

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 21 2022 4:23 PM (30 replies)
  • rwhittdnd
    1 Posts
    Sat, Apr 16 2022 6:03 PM

Is there something that can be done about this? I play for fun and I don't expect to win every game. I'm a level 52. I don't have a lot of coins - around 20,000. So I play the Beverly Hills 9 hole Stroke Play often. Lately I've been getting constantly paired with players in the 70s, 80s, several in the 90s, some in the 100s-110s. I played my best 9 holes ever I think earlier - going -4 and had to make several long putts to do that. The near 100 level guy kept saying he couldn't believe how I kept making these shots. And I was getting lucky I'll admit. 

It took it to a sudden death playoff and the guy felt bad for me so he shanked it on purpose. He told me he was going to because he felt bad for me playing so far over my skis. 

But I very, very rarely get matched with anyone similar in rank and almost never with a lower ranked player. Maybe it should be once you reach a certain level you can't even play in some of the low coin rooms? I don't know. I just know it's very discouraging when I keep getting my eyes dotted by guys that can hit heartbeat shots 90% of the time when they are within striking distance of the pin. And I keep losing coins because I'm getting smoked by these higher ranked players. It just doesn't seem right. Sometimes - ok. But nearly every game I play to be paired with higher ranked players?

• protonc
    644 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2022 11:06 AM

Unfortunately it’s just part of coin games. I play all rooms, but depends if I’m playing on my phone (500-20,000 coins) or pc (20,000 - up coins). Just because someone is a level 100 doesn’t mean they have millions of coins. Other players are worse in coin games than the actual game due to green speeds.

Good luck, keep at it.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2022 11:27 AM

And other times people tense up at the thought of winning or losing , until you get enough coins for a loss to not matter , you rarely will play your natural game. 
    if you can , just play your own game and don’t worry about the coins or whether the other player is a higher tier or level.
    the match ups are just totally random. 

are you playing on a mobile device , like tablet or phone or on a PC ? 

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2022 1:07 PM

I can remember feeling similar, but if you think it's bad now, it only gets worse. When you're "promoted" to Master and they shove you backwards on the teebox. Now you're spotting those Pros mucho yardage on top of the possibility of having worse equipment. Equipment is level based and tee boxes are tier based. This creates a struggle everyone goes through at some point where the higher level/lower tier player tees off in front of you with better clubs.

Higher level coin games provide an even playing field for all regardless of tier. 

Look at this way. You will move up faster beating players ranked higher than you. Focus on your game, making it better and play the course regardless of your opponent.  

Good Luck! 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2022 11:24 AM

coin rooms naturally sort skill. 

So if some level 100 is in Beverly Hills they either suck or they have tiny egos and they have to beat up on lowbies to assuage their tender feelings.

just a general rule. Don't really worry about your opponent.

If it's a high level or high tier person and they aren't in Bellagio or Tokyo then they aren't anyone to really worry about. it means they are average at best and average isn't very good.

• bwsq
    98 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2022 10:31 AM

Mythanatos:

If it's a high level or high tier person and they aren't in Bellagio or Tokyo then they aren't anyone to really worry about. it means they are average at best and average isn't very good.

Disagree.  When i'm in the mood to play in a coin room, it is almost exclusively in Shanghai because it's a 9 hole room.  While I might no be in the upper crust of players, I do consider myself above average and I meet a lot of players in that room who feel the same.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2022 2:13 PM

bwsq:

Mythanatos:

Disagree.  When i'm in the mood to play in a coin room, it is almost exclusively in Shanghai because it's a 9 hole room.  While I might no be in the upper crust of players, I do consider myself above average and I meet a lot of players in that room who feel the same.

(and it's easier opponents for the vast majority of the time).

But for the reason you stated i've said before this is why we need a 10 million coin bet 9 hole room. 

I've been playing the coin rooms virtually since it's inception. I know who plays where and why. I've seen all the reasons.

posting exceptions to the rule doesn't break the rule.

you won't find me using absolute terms like always or never. If you can find one then it's probably an error. There are exceptions to just about any rule. 

My comments and opinions are true for close to everyone.  There is a reason Bellagio and Tokyo have such few players. only a Few coin room players can hang.  2-3 hundred is about it.

By all means join the rooms. we need more people anyway. i wish more would play it.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2022 3:11 PM

" I do consider myself above average ..."

^^^ 58 avg Tour Champ. Yup, defo above avg. 

That said, I have to agree with Mythanatos' assertion about average players not being very good. I played for almost ten years (a lot) and achieved the exalted tier of Legend (68 avg). 

Ahem, not to brag, but I once hit a 41 yd drive using a putter..:) (right down the middle)

ct

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2022 8:23 AM

I like to play in the lower cost rooms occasionally.  Just to pass the time and hack away.  Usually with the intention of losing and passing along coin to lower levels that probably need/want them more than I do.  I mention it in the game chat and sometimes they don't respond.  Feel bad when they quit the match after a bad shot and didn't see my message.

Sometimes I have to play the lower coin rooms just to get a match.  The higher rooms I get tired of waiting to find one so I drop down a room until I find one.  ;-)

RSS