Forums

Help › Forums

Ball distances

Fri, Apr 28 2023 1:39 PM (8 replies)
  • LegalForce
    179 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2022 10:51 PM

Hi

I'm about to run out of all the balls WGT gives away as promotions for entering certain tournaments and am looking to buy new balls to map.

I wondered if anyone knows the difference, in broad terms, in distance between a ball that's stated distance is 5.9 vs 5.6 vs 5.5 vs 5.4?  If with a 287yd driver and a side wind the difference is only say 5 yards distance then that will influence my decision as opposed to if the difference is more like 20 yds.

I appreciate the answer may be "buy them, map them and see" but wondered if anyone knows the answer already as a pack of 3 costs $10-$15 and I'd prefer not to buy sleeves of balls if I'm not going to sign up for them long term.

Thanks

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Thu, Apr 7 2022 12:25 PM

I think you can safely conclude that you will not see an average yardage increase of 20 yds. I believe 6 - 10 maybe. The difficulty in assigning a fixed number is the fact that fairways are not flat; there is elevation to consider. For example a 6 yd gain is not much, but in certain circumstances 6 yds may gain you enough distance to hit a downward slope which could add another 10 - 15 yds to your tee shot. Conversely hitting into an elevated fairway you may only see a gain of 2 yds. On a flat fairway like RSA with a little tailwind you could see maybe 15 - 20 additional yards. You have to average all of that to determine a number and at best it’s only going to be a SWAG. I wouldn’t be overly concerned how much distance I would gain with a driver as opposed to how the ball will play with my irons and for that, as you note, you have to map.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Thu, Apr 7 2022 5:14 PM

LegalForce:
    I wondered if anyone knows the difference, in broad terms, in distance between a ball that's stated distance is 5.9 vs 5.6 vs 5.5 vs 5.4?

In very broad terms, a ball with 5.5 distance (for example) will add about 5.5 yards of distance per 100 yards, if you hit it flat.  But, in addition to the landing area effects that Cicero mentioned, the spin you put on the ball will affect the distance as well.

If you're already used to the free promo balls, the L13 Srixon balls (200 cr) have the exact same specs.

If you want to try something else out, my suggestion would be to try some of the lower credit balls first.  The low-level Callaway balls can be had for 250-300 cr.  The low-level TaylorMade balls can be had for 400 cr.  And the TaylorMade TP5x (L81+) at 550 cr is an excellent ball.  IMHO, at your skill level, there is no need for you to spend $10-15 (i.e. 1000-1500 cr) on a ball.  You'd just be throwing your credits away.

• LegalForce
    179 Posts
    Fri, Apr 8 2022 1:50 PM

Thank you both for your advice.  Having looked at Scott Hope's equipment tables I am keen to follow your advice about playing with a ball that has same / similar spin to the ones I currently play with as I think too much spin will lead to more problems for me as I currently have a good idea on release for different spin points on the ball.  I think I'll try the lower level Callaways for a bit of distance but same spin.  Off to start mapping now!  Thanks again :)

• BlackBogey
    267 Posts
    Wed, Apr 26 2023 4:44 AM

LegalForce:

Thank you both for your advice.  Having looked at Scott Hope's equipment tables I am keen to follow your advice about playing with a ball that has same / similar spin to the ones I currently play with as I think too much spin will lead to more problems for me as I currently have a good idea on release for different spin points on the ball.  I think I'll try the lower level Callaways for a bit of distance but same spin.  Off to start mapping now!  Thanks again :)

If you haven't tried them yet, the L34 Callaways may offer what you're looking for based on what I've highlighted above.  I'm using them for the higher Distance to Spin ratio (4.0 Dist/2.5 Spin) with a moderate 3.5 meter speed.  I tried the TM L48 and L81, and while they are nice the spin definitely wrecked distance (especially into headwinds).  The L34 seems to cut through the wind much better, at least for me, and I firmly believe that is due to the high Dist/Spin ratio.   

Eventually I'll probably give the L81s or a mid-level Titleist another go 'round once I level up to longer tees/slicker greens, but for me right now (at TM with L90 irons) these L34s hold greens just fine.  They don't really "suck back" but that's not what I'm after - I want to know carry distance and have it stop right there or maybe roll a few feet, and these do that for me.

Another good ball with good Dist/Spin ratio is the Max Slow Meter (Pro+).  They have identical specs to L34 but with 5 meter speed (and .5 less durability, although it seems to me I'm getting almost as many hits as 2.5 durability balls).  This would be my new go-to ball if they only made them in white - I just can't get used to the black ball, it's almost impossible to track to see what it does when landing.

• GreenLaser
    175 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2023 6:10 PM

The Callaway L35 is working well for me.  Same stats as the L34 but with only a 2.5 meter. 150 credits cheaper if you don't need the slower meter.

• GreenLaser
    175 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2023 6:35 AM

The Volvik L26 also plays well for me.  Tied my lowest score on PGA National back nine first time out with the Volvik.  Pushed me to Legend, too. I hope what I'm using still works with the new tier.

The Callaway L45 interests me.  I'll probably give that one a try soon.

• BlackBogey
    267 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2023 11:38 AM

GreenLaser:

The Volvik L26 also plays well for me.  Tied my lowest score on PGA National back nine first time out with the Volvik.  Pushed me to Legend, too. I hope what I'm using still works with the new tier.

The Callaway L45 interests me.  I'll probably give that one a try soon.

They are probably both good balls with similar distance/spin stats, but I just struggle with balls lower than 3.5 meter speed.  The jump from the L33 (2.5) to the L34 (3.5) Callysis night and day for me.  Now testing the Max Slow Meter Pro and even better.  I'm not hitting anywhere near "all" dings, but the misses are much closer and I can control which side I need to miss on, depending on wind/break.

• GreenLaser
    175 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2023 1:39 PM

BlackBogey:

but I just struggle with balls lower than 3.5 meter speed.

My irons meter is 1.4 slower than yours, so that's a factor.

RSS