Forums

Help › Forums

Wedge Stuff - 95,96,91 vs 95,96,80

Fri, Apr 1 2022 11:11 PM (5 replies)
  • SubmarineX13
    33 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2022 6:49 AM

Howdy all,

As I've been leveling up I've been increasingly aware of the top players and their club composition.  My inquiry at this moment is concerning what appears to be a shift in wedge selection.  Many players recently were utilizing the level 95, 96 and 91 combination whereas now many are shifting to either the 95, 96, 80  -or-  95, 78, 80 setup.  Just wondering why they are back to playing with the Vokey(s) vs Max?  I understand that the Max 91 has less spin but what seems to be the overriding factor in switching?  Is it the sand play?, flopping?, chipping? etc..?   I'm coming up on level 96 and am about to make a final decision as to my composition and would appreciate any insight.  Thanx mates.

X13

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2022 12:59 PM

I always preferred the 60y/80y/100y make up in my wedges.  I eventually changed my L78 80y wedge for the L96 75yd wedge for the slower meter and added precision/forgiveness but mainly the slower meter.  Still miss the 80 yd wedge since I knew it so well for so long but have managed to learn the 75 yd wedge good nuff to keep the meter speed.  What I can't bring myself to do is dropping the 60 yd wedge for a 50 yd wedge even though I really want to match my meter speeds as much as possible.  

What you have is plenty fine to keep that way forever honestly.  Think it truly comes down to the yardage gaps you want and if you want a slower meter.  

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2022 1:57 PM

SubmarineX13:
    Many players recently were utilizing the level 95, 96 and 91 combination whereas now many are shifting to either the 95, 96, 80  -or-  95, 78, 80 setup.  Just wondering why they are back to playing with the Vokey(s) vs Max?  I understand that the Max 91 has less spin but what seems to be the overriding factor in switching?  Is it the sand play?, flopping?, chipping? etc..?   I'm coming up on level 96 and am about to make a final decision as to my composition and would appreciate any insight.

There is no one universal answer that works for everyone.  The answer is going to be different for everyone.  It's important to pick the wedges that best fit your own personal style of play -- eg. what shots types you prefer to use in different situations (flop vs. pitch, for example), whether you play rollout or not, and the ball you use.  

Usually WGT has a Free Rental Weekend during The Masters weekend, which is next weekend.  If they do, I'd suggest trying out as many different wedges as you can and see which combination of wedges you feel most comfortable with.  Further suggestion:  Play some Par 4 courses in Practice mode and hit into rough and sand traps near the green and try out different shots.  Take mulligans on your wedge shots if a shot goes astray.

You may even end up concluding that the wedges you have now are the best combination for you.  Like hpurey said, what you have right now is plenty fine.

Good luck!

• SubmarineX13
    33 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2022 2:15 PM

I'm of the same mindset as you and have been trying to talk myself into the 95,96,91 slower meter set due to antique aging.. lol, but will probably end up going with your combo in the end.  I've spent so many practice hours with the Vokey 80 (sand and chip flopping!) and do not relish rehashing that for the Max 91.  Its just that my curiousity got aroused when I saw so many good players switching back from the Max 91 line-up, I worried I might be missing out on something.

Sincerely, thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  Take care and have a relaxing weekend.

• billycash74
    2,074 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2022 5:06 PM

the 100 75 60 works well for me. they punch to 84 62 and 50 and i like that as well. some people like to swap the 50 yrd max wedge in for the 60. that club punches to 41 and pitches 14. i dont really flop or chip too much. as Sam said, its a matter of what youre comfortable with. i will say the 75 and 60 yard club are so accurate its nuts. youre on the right track using 3 wedges. good luck

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2022 11:11 PM

SamSpayed:

SubmarineX13:
    Many players recently were utilizing the level 95, 96 and 91 combination whereas now many are shifting to either the 95, 96, 80  -or-  95, 78, 80 setup.  Just wondering why they are back to playing with the Vokey(s) vs Max?  I understand that the Max 91 has less spin but what seems to be the overriding factor in switching?  Is it the sand play?, flopping?, chipping? etc..?   I'm coming up on level 96 and am about to make a final decision as to my composition and would appreciate any insight.

There is no one universal answer that works for everyone.  The answer is going to be different for everyone.  It's important to pick the wedges that best fit your own personal style of play -- eg. what shots types you prefer to use in different situations (flop vs. pitch, for example), whether you play rollout or not, and the ball you use.  

Usually WGT has a Free Rental Weekend during The Masters weekend, which is next weekend.  If they do, I'd suggest trying out as many different wedges as you can and see which combination of wedges you feel most comfortable with.  Further suggestion:  Play some Par 4 courses in Practice mode and hit into rough and sand traps near the green and try out different shots.  Take mulligans on your wedge shots if a shot goes astray.

You may even end up concluding that the wedges you have now are the best combination for you.  Like hpurey said, what you have right now is plenty fine.

Good luck!

Well said Scott 😎

RSS