Forums

Help › Forums

Reflect

Mon, May 16 2022 5:22 AM (115 replies)
  • bossbird
    1,663 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2022 4:27 AM

Craig , those things you talk of are true , but not just of U.K. , every country in the world has problems , just the same , perhaps , apart from Brexit , but Britain behaves like a third world country when it is still one of the richest nations in the world. It’s just the money isn’t being spent on the people.
    Refugees are going in far greater numbers to other countries than to Britain , Moldova have taken in a quarter of their total population in a month . All the countries bordering Ukraine are doing far more for refugees than Britain ever will. The formalities required for Ukrainian people to enter Britain is disgraceful.  

• ct690911
    6,790 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2022 5:28 AM

Taking in refugees is one thing, where to house them is another. Factor in needed health care, dental care, food, etc.

This is what Canada is dealing with at the moment. We took in a plethora of Afghan refugees and, to my knowledge, still have many of them housed in seedy hotels in Toronto and other major cities.

Politicians are always preening to the national press about "look at all we are doing", without thinking of the practical steps that must be logistically worked out.

I think that is what Craig is alluding to in his post.

• craigswan
    24,851 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2022 6:24 AM

Thank you colin for the help in expressing the numerous problems felt by all of us .

To change the subject slightly .

50 years ago an american arms company opened up a factory in scotland . Many friends and families have spent their working lives there .

It pays the best wages and pensions for many miles around .

But recently they have lost big orders and people are worried about their own jobs .

Now with russia ramping up the arm's race their jobs are a lot more secure .

Swings and rundabouts i'm afraid .

Ask yourself this 

If your country have a major catastrophe how many countries would step up to help .

You would very quickly find out who your friends were .

When uk were fighting the argentinians in the falklands every time they fired a missile the french sold them another as a replacement .

And the french are 22 miles away across the channel .

• HamdenPro
    1,485 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2022 6:55 AM

I had posted the below picture in a different thread earlier, but it may be more appropriate here. It is quite possible that our only hope to stop Putin is Hoperman

• bossbird
    1,663 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2022 7:36 AM

Craig , I am English , living in France. I do know what’s happening in the U.K. ! I also know what’s happening in Europe , less so USA and Canada. All countries have their problems , but these are exceptional times. The only country asking for fully validated visa applications for the women and children fleeing war torn Ukraine is U.K. , and they arnt working quick enough. There have been 150 k offers of accomodation from ordinary British people for the homing of Ukrainian refugees , and yet the paperwrk is still not being sanctioned . Why ?

• bossbird
    1,663 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2022 11:22 AM

I won’t be coming back to respond , I have other , even more Important  things going on. I hope we can all just agree , it’s a terrible situation , none of us can make a difference , and it is a human catastrophe. NATO said they will do what they can ! 

• HamdenPro
    1,485 Posts
    Wed, Mar 23 2022 12:41 PM

bossbird:
    I hope we can all just agree , it’s a terrible situation , none of us can make a difference , and it is a human catastrophe

+1000

• craigswan
    24,851 Posts
    Thu, Mar 24 2022 4:03 AM

• SamSpayed
    4,103 Posts
    Thu, Mar 24 2022 11:58 AM

bossbird:
    Refugees are going in far greater numbers to other countries than to Britain , Moldova have taken in a quarter of their total population in a month . All the countries bordering Ukraine are doing far more for refugees than Britain ever will. The formalities required for Ukrainian people to enter Britain is disgraceful.  

Just announced today:

U.S. to welcome up to 100,000 Ukrainian refugees

• ct690911
    6,790 Posts
    Thu, Mar 24 2022 12:47 PM

SamSpayed:

bossbird:

Just announced today:

U.S. to welcome up to 100,000 Ukrainian refugees

Canada has also committed to taking in refugees. They will be able to stay in the country for 3 years. Of course, a big problem is actually getting them here (or to the US)

It's interesting to me that so many are heading to Moldova. It is not a NATO country and could very well be on Vlad's hit list.

RSS