Forums

Help › Forums

Strange things & Hidden Objects

Mon, Sep 18 2023 8:44 PM (310 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 6:56 AM

pmm711:
    If they closed the course while photographing it why would a stray ball marker be out there?

PureGro1:
    I wondered the same exact thing- Is it possible this was something the photographers  used to mark a camera location or a distance?

MioKontic:
    I have seen what you called 'stray' markers on greens.

It is not far-fetched that a stray ball marker was left on the green and happened to be there when WGT was mapping the course. 

• MioKontic
    4,587 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 9:37 AM

HamdenPro:

It is not far-fetched that a stray ball marker was left on the green and happened to be there when WGT was mapping the course. 

And the reason you don't see it in all shots is because they will have 'paintshoppro'd' it out on most of the photographs, but obviously missed one.

• NrEighteen
    956 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 10:35 AM

Merion 4th, out practicing putting. 

I found what appears to be a yellow ball resting on a marker, the only time I can see it is just after putting from above the hole and my own ball is still in motion. As soon as it stops, the yellow ball is gone. Lower right corner. 

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 10:44 AM

HamdenPro:

Not far fetched at all and most likely what it is...I thought of the marker for distance or camera when thinking about how this photo-mapping must be done.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 12:32 PM

NrEighteen:

Merion 4th, out practicing putting. 

I found what appears to be a yellow ball resting on a marker, the only time I can see it is just after putting from above the hole and my own ball is still in motion. As soon as it stops, the yellow ball is gone

That is pretty cool. It does not appear to be a real ball, like the ball marker, discussed above, left on the green when WGT was mapping the course.

This looks more like the balls used in the game. Considering that is is only viewable while your ball is in motion makes this a "hidden" object. It is very much like the "phantom" ball you sometimes see in the fairway, when teeing off and before either you, or your playing partner(s), hit, except, in your case, you were playing alone.

I will have to check this out.

Merion is full of surprises. Yancy called it "Mysterious Merion".

Good find, thank you for sharing.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 3:32 PM

PureGro1:
    I always was under this impression, mostly due to stuff being in one shot and not another-Figured if it was meant to be there it would be in all the shots showing that area.

What about Bigfoot, Easter Eggs and The Chambers signs? They are obviously meant to be there, but none appear in all the shots. These are things that WGT has inserted intentionally.

As it comes to the "normal" stuff, like ball markers, random "phantom balls," etc, we can make many presumptions but, IMO, we will never really know if such items are simply failures by WGT to remove, left intentionally, or put there by WGT.

We can presume from WGT's response, as to the two people behind the Pebble Beach green, they were not put there by WGT, intentionally, but just happened to get caught in the mapping process.  

Whatever the reasons, I, for one, thinks it cool, and provides for another way to enjoy what WGT has to offer.

As for, what I call, the "phantom balls", they definitely were not on the course when WGT did their magic. These balls are the same as what we hit in the game. Many times, if I am teeing second, I can see what looks to be my ball in the fairway, while my playing partner is hitting. In the beginning, it seemed that, when I did hit, my ball landed where I had seen the "phantom" ball (before I hit). Eventually, I realized that it was just coincidence if my ball landed there as, just as often as not, my ball would land somewhere else.

I think seeing these "phantom" balls before hitting may have led to the conspiracy theory that your play is predetermined by WGT. (Or is it?)

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 4:00 PM

HamdenPro:
    What about Bigfoot, Easter Eggs and The Chambers signs? They are obviously meant to be there, but none appear in all the shots. These are things that WGT has inserted intentionally.

Easter eggs is the term for all of those things, Never heard an explanation to know if WGT knew they were there or if someone added them during the process- Like Disney had some "Issues" with animators adding hidden things.

Would they admit now.... that they had no idea they were there until some player saw it? I dunno- it is all very interesting though.

HamdenPro:
    I think seeing these "phantom" balls before hitting may have led to the conspiracy theory that your play is predetermined by WGT. (Or is it?)

Maybe, I don't remember seeing them in Flash game...I think it was after an update that they began to appear. But don't trust my memory...lol

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 4:17 PM

PureGro1:
    Easter eggs is the term for all of those things

Not anymore!!! Now Easter Eggs means Easter Eggs....(This is on Pinehurst)

What is interesting about this one is, not only do you have to be in the right spot to see the egg, but you have to be in the perfect spot to see both.

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2022 4:47 PM

HamdenPro:
    you have to be in the perfect spot to see both.

I am still offering a prize to any one who can find a sign from that other thread and or will offer a prize ifin you find it and post it here .  

OPY 

Edit :  I see the new mod did his job .

• MioKontic
    4,587 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 1:58 AM

PureGro1:

Easter eggs is the term for all of those things, Never heard an explanation to know if WGT knew they were there or if someone added them during the process

Would they admit now.... that they had no idea they were there until some player saw it?

Trying to figure out if you are serious here or just trying to be funny.  Look at the size of the egg - do you really think someone could be photographing there, or even just walking along that way, and not see it?  And if they did indeed miss that one, what about the other ones that are dotted around on Pinehurst???  One could not be more certain that WGT added those, just for fun, just like they did Bigfoot on Bethpage #9, and the signs on Chambers.

PureGro1:

Maybe, I don't remember seeing them in Flash game...I think it was after an update that they began to appear. But don't trust my memory...lol

The rogue balls were not there in the Flash verion, only the PCEA version (don't know about mobile).

Also, the cartoon-style avatars weren't there either in Flash, an altogether better presentation of the game.  Have you noticed how slow the balls travel through the air in the PCEA version?  It's like they have a balloon attached to them and are coming down in slow motion  :)

HP - took a few more attempts at finding that ball marker at around 70ft, but still no luck.  Will try again, and also going to have another bash at seeing if I can find any signs on CB #9 (given up on #8).

RSS