Forums

Help › Forums

Another question irrelevant to WGT (Sorry)

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 29 2022 4:28 AM (9 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2022 10:58 PM

In Japanese Animation (Anime), the so-called 'bank system' to re-use the animation footage is one of the techniques which significantly reduces the cost of production. The clips in the bank system are usually used for scenes such as appearing, transforming or final attacking of heroes in a repetitive way in each episode so much so that it's almost a ritual for viewers (fan kids).

Is there a movie/film industry term for this 'bank system' or 'bank scene' in proper English?

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 11:58 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Is there a movie/film industry term for this 'bank system' or 'bank scene' in proper English?

If I understand the question, the closest term, I can think of, used in the film industry, is  "Library shot"

library shot is a term used to describe a stock shot. A stock shot is a clip that is available to use, as an insert in a film, to save time and money. The easiest example would be a particular city skyline.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 2:05 PM

Thanks, Steff.

The two are not exactly the same, though. Library shots or stock shots are made so that they can be used by anyone in any motion pictures while bank scenes are made only for that specific animation. And since a bank shot is intended for a repetitive usage, the part is usually made of very high quality comparing to the rest of drawings.

Rather than a city skyline, a bank shot corresponds more to scenes like Lynda Carter transforming into Wonder Woman (except that Americans didn't use any bank system for it, I believe), KITT blinking its panel light when talking to Knight, Airwolf launching missiles and such...

I know the 'bank system' is used in American & other non-Japanese works, just not as frequently or abusively as in Animes so I thought there should be a term for it in English. Oh, well...

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 2:25 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Animes so I thought there should be a term for it in English. Oh, well...

Ohhh, Anime..When a scene or action is repeated, two or more times, in the clip, or video.

Yes, we call that "CUT AND PASTE" 😁

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 2:33 PM

HamdenPro:
    Yes, we call that "CUT AND PASTE" 😁

LMAO Yes, some people critize it and call it that way or "ctrl+c, ctrl+v". 😝

The bank system is not just "cut and paste" though... There should be a term used in the movie industry. 🤔

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 2:54 PM

I did have a look but no, so I offer another wrong answer :-)

A motif is a repeated narrative element that supports the theme of a story. A motif in film can be presented in a number of ways like physical items, sound design, lines of dialogue, music, colours, and symbols. Any motif used will vastly improve your story if it has narrative significance.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 3:16 PM

There's a lot to be said for the X-rated stuff; not too many deep ponderances or questions arise from them, and "narrative significance" is rarely an issue...lol

ct

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 3:38 PM

ct690911:

There's a lot to be said for the X-rated stuff; not too many deep ponderances or questions arise from them, and "narrative significance" is rarely an issue...lol

ct

Nobody's talking about X-rated stuff.  Why even bring that up?

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 3:45 PM

SamSpayed:

ct690911:

ct

I had no idea what the heck was being discussed, other than it had to do with movies. It was an attempt at humour. My apologies if offended..

• callaghan159
    6,214 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 4:28 AM

ct690911:

SamSpayed:

ct690911:

ct

I had no idea what the heck was being discussed, other than it had to do with movies. It was an attempt at humour. My apologies if offended..

Yes he is easily offended...lmao

RSS