Forums

Help › Forums

WGT Launcher crashes

Fri, Jan 14 2022 8:28 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Bov321
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 11:38 PM

Can't launch WGT since upgrade yesterday, it crashes immediately without error messages. Using Windows 10. Already deleted and reinstalled. Nothing helps. Is the game dead?

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Tue, Jan 11 2022 9:31 AM

Try a reinstall THIS way.

• WGTNico
    616 Posts
    Tue, Jan 11 2022 10:48 AM

Ooh this is great! 

ScottHope:

Try a reinstall THIS way.

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Tue, Jan 11 2022 11:13 AM

WGTNico:
    Ooh this is great!

Thank you Nico, but actually it isn't. It's a workaround that we should not have to do. The game should uninstall itself properly when anyone uses the usual method to remove it from their system.

Unless you are aware of this workaround, uninstalling the game just removes the launcher from your system and if you are trying a reinstall to fix a problem with the game, I don't think removing the launcher is going to do anything to help.

Thank you for the appreciative comment though.  ; )

• WGTNico
    616 Posts
    Tue, Jan 11 2022 11:26 AM

Unfortunately stuff like this isn't uncommon with games, and many other programs for that matter. I wish it wasn't as common though cause it is definitely an inconvenience

ScottHope:

WGTNico:
    Ooh this is great!

Thank you Nico, but actually it isn't. It's a workaround that we should not have to do. The game should uninstall itself properly when anyone uses the usual method to remove it from their system.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Wed, Jan 12 2022 10:36 PM

WGTNico:
    Unfortunately stuff like this isn't uncommon with games, and many other programs for that matter. I wish it wasn't as common though cause it is definitely an inconvenience

But it's correctable.  Whoever is in charge of maintenance for the WGT installer simply needs to add steps 3 and 4 from ScottHope's link to the uninstall program.

I come from an IT background and I used to write programs to install/uninstall software.  Adding those 2 steps really isn't that difficult.  And doing folder and Registry cleanup automatically during uninstall is pretty basic stuff.

• Bov321
    5 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 1:11 AM

Thank you Scott, much appreciated. Indeed it worked ;-)  Cheers

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 2:02 AM

Thank you Bov, glad to hear it worked for you.  ; )

• Bov321
    5 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 8:01 AM

Update,

Launched again today (after mandatory windows update and reboot) and was crashing again. As a test I went directly to step 4

4.) Open up the registry editor, navigate your way to this key... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WGT ...and delete it.

Launched it again afterward (without rebooting) and now it works again... ;-)

Cheers

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Thu, Jan 13 2022 9:33 AM

Bit worrying that it failed again, hopefully it'll be okay from now on, thanks.

• PAGES
RSS