Forums

Help › Forums

❤Love Letter To All The Putting Formula Players... NOT!💔

Mon, Jan 31 2022 4:55 PM (28 replies)
  • Tangleputt
    20 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2022 8:45 PM

I have an affectionate nickname for those players using a putting formula. I call them "rocket scientists." It's fairly easy to spot them in Stroke Play. Here's how:

They all have a tier ranking greater than Tour Pro. Player A, a Tour Master, has a 27.6 ft. putt on a tourney 12 green. It breaks moderately to the right, and is downhill by 17 inches. Player A, whips the calculator into a number crunching frenzy that goes something like this: "the moons gravitational pull divided by the number of days past the vernal equinox times the dimples on a Titleist ball minus the wing velocity of an unladen sparrow plus the square root of the current relative humidity.... yada, yada." He makes a list, he checks it twice. Then, he consults a spreadsheet after consulting a spreadsheet after consulting a spreadsheet. He double checks his spreadsheet using a homemade C++ computer program. 87 seconds into the second 90 second timer, he's ready. He's got this. It's going down. He pulls the plunger.... he releases.... AND HE STILL FREAKING MISSES THE PUTT!!!

Here's MY putting formula. It's a 27.6 ft putt on a tourney 12 green. It breaks moderately to the right, and is downhill by 17 inches. I look at the read carefully. USING ONLY MY EXPERIENCE AS A GUIDE, I'm ready. I've got this. It's going down. 7.37 seconds into the FIRST 90 second timer, I pull the plunger.... I release..... AND I STILL MISS THE FREAKING PUTT!!!

MORAL OF THE STORY: I can miss a putt in 1/10 of the time it takes a "rocket scientist" to miss a putt. And, I can still finish a round under par NOT using a putting formula. (PS- I'm pretty darn good just eyeballing my putts. Why? Because I'm not a slave to a formula.)

If your putting average is below 95% using your putting formula, I strongly suggest not using it in a Stroke Play game. You turn a half-hour 9 hole round into a one-and-a-half hour nightmare. Stop it. There's no money, real or virtual, involved in stroke play. Be considerate to other players. Show some class. Speed your play up. Save your formulas for the money games and tournaments. Use Stroke Play to hone your NATURAL intuitive gut feeling skills. It takes practice, but it works, trust me. Besides, that's what you did when you first joined the game. So, do other players a favor and take a nice long walk down memory lane and get in touch with your inner newbie again.

I'm sorry, but I've become increasingly frustrated by the painfully slow pace of the rocket scientists in Stroke Play. I absolutely cringe when I get stuck in a foursome with three other rocket scientists. It blows chunks. If you need to practice using a putting formula, do it in a solo game. You guys take yourself way too seriously and take way too long for a game option that yields no money, no fame and no late-night talk show appearances. Just hit the flippin' ball, it's not rocket science.

In my opinion, the best putting formula is a solid approach shot. Learn to consistently nail it 15 feet or less from the pin, and you won't need a putting formula. It can be done. 

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 8:48 AM

Tangleputt:
    In my opinion, the best putting formula is a solid approach shot. Learn to consistently nail it 15 feet or less from the pin, and you won't need a putting formula. It can be done. 

IMO- I cant believe you made this post unless its supposed to be in jest...You may want to find someone to mentor you if you really want to play well, either way- giving advice to players well past your own skill level is not going to end with people thanking you.

Go take a look at your stats page, they are not good at all, Distance to the pin,  1 putt %...

Your scoring significantly higher than Par on 3s, 4s, and par 5s. 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:18 AM

PureGro1:

Tangleputt:

IMO- I cant believe you made this post unless its supposed to be in jest...You may want to find someone to mentor you if you really want to play well, either way- giving advice to players well past your own skill level is not going to end with people thanking you.

Go take a look at your stats page, they are not good at all, Distance to the pin,  1 putt %...

Your scoring significantly higher than Par on 3s, 4s, and par 5s. 

Notwithstanding the unsolicited advice on putting, I think his main point was that folks who use calculators, complex formulas, etc, often miss as many putts as those of us who read, aim and hit the damn ball...it just takes them a lot longer to miss ...lol

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:34 AM

ct690911:
    Notwithstanding the unsolicited advice on putting, I think his main point was that folks who use calculators, etc, often miss as many putts as those of us who just read, aim and hit the damn ball...it just takes them a lot longer to miss it...lol

We all use a calculator, either our brain or mechanical means- some maybe faster with an actual calculator than they are doing the math in their head.

I play with some older people and some younger ones- some are fast and some are slow...They all make more putts than the OP. 

Opinions are good and we all have them, however the claim that everyone no matter how short or long they take miss the same putts just does not hold water and honestly just sounds silly to me.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:35 AM

Tangleputt:

I can still finish a round under par NOT using a putting formula. 

Perhaps, but not very often. Your most recent 4 rounds average almost 4 over par (per 18). Your lack of truthfulness in that statement leave me questioning the rest of your brilliant post. Although figuring that out takes math and you have already expressed your disinterest in the subject so you get a pass on that one

Still... gr8 advice from a Tour Pro that still can't break par after 4 years of playing. It is too bad they don't make a game that takes zero effort and is all about how fast you can make a move. I am sure you would be excellent at such a game and your advice would be more fitting for other players of that game. 

Hit 'em fast... that's where the fun is at.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:59 AM

ct690911:
    Notwithstanding the unsolicited advice on putting, I think his main point was that folks who use calculators, complex formulas, etc, often miss as many putts as those of us who read, aim and hit the damn ball...it just takes them a lot longer to miss ...lol

That's true. That is the main point. The person is wrong. But that's certainly the main point. 😀

I'm not a great putter, but I use a putting formula. And it really doesn't take that much time to calculate it. It's basic math. Regardless, let's just use one metric: 3-putt percent.

MIne: 1.38%

Other player's: 19.57%

Gotta believe there's something to that putting formula approach. 😉

And again, I'm not a great putter. If players don't want to use a putting formula, that's fine. No worries. But to suggest that it doesn't make a difference, flies in the face of all evidence.

To borrow a phrase: people are entitled to their own opinions, but they're not entitled to their own facts. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 10:03 AM

PureGro1:
    We all use a calculator, either our brain or mechanical means- some maybe faster with an actual calculator than they are doing the math in their head.

+1

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 10:43 AM

PureGro1:

going to second this as well - because I tend to believe even the people that use the word "feel" putting are basically using what they learned, memorized and internalized similar to the way Steph Curry just knows how hard and what trajectory he wants to shoot that next 3 pointer - through thousands of shots played and made - muscle memory - mental and visual acuity - hand eye coordination all plays into a cerebral and physical shot result that results in an awful lot of made shots.  He like many players - put the time in - to essentially learn how the greens play with putt formulas or without them.

we don't feel the slopes of the green with our butt cheeks - we learn to memorize or calculate what putts will do based on certain flow of the dots - it is why this game at the highest levels will likely remain a math game and not a skill game unless they remove the dots from the green and utilize a true sim form of the game on the greens.  

heck - even the PGA tour players have agreed to do away with the complex green books that players were using - because they want the game to be skill based and using players intuition or reading of slopes versus just calculating putts.  And WGT is even worse than the PGA tour - when it comes to the use of putt formulas - so they should really put serious thought into removing dots on the green or creating a "true sim" form of the game - similar to UEL or something - because it just gets boring watching dot counters.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 10:53 AM

el3n1:

PureGro1:

going it is why this game at the highest levels will likely remain a math game and not a skill game

It’s why I laugh when someone says “vns”…they should be saying “vn math”.  There are definitely no very nice shots taking place in WGT…that’s for damn sure.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 11:07 AM

Not that it probably matters to anyone, but I only use a putting formula for distance (i.e., how hard to hit the putt). I never tried (nor am interested in) counting dots to figure break. 

On that, I just sort of guess at the break. I suppose one could say I'm going from memory on those. But I don't have that good of memory to remember the last time I was on that green in that same position.

I might have a general idea. But I still probably get it wrong as often as I get it right. So, even though I have a decent 3-putt percent, my 1-putt percent is nothing to write home about. It's less than 50%, which I think is fairly average.

RSS