Forums

Help › Forums

Viewing Putter Scales

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 11 2022 6:14 AM (6 replies)
  • RexMatthew
    13 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2022 7:35 PM

How do I see a putters distance scales before I buy it? I'm currently using an odyssey putter from a few years ago with a 15, 30, 60, 150 , 300 for distance and I'm L35 just turned pro. I'd like to have a putter with a 10, 20 , 50 etc. scale. I'm not unhappy with my putter, I'd just rather have the 10, 20 scale.                                                                                                      I'm using Ben Hogan irons (spin 3) and they don't stick as much as I'd like them to. I think its a long while before I can get better spinning irons so should I bite the bullet cost wise and pay the price for premium balls with a high spin number?                                                         The last club fix I'd like to change is my wedges distance. I have Cleveland wedges 64, 54, 52, for distances of 60, 85, 100. I'd like to have 60, 80, 100 for symmetry and the easier the math, the happier I am. Replacing the 85 with an 80 means I'd have a club with a different meter speed and other stats so should I make do with what I have until I'm a much higher level?                                                                                                                                          I'm not consistantly good but I am improving. Better equipment gets lower scores so I don't mind spending on equipment. The Titleist vapor max balls I just ran out of seem pricey compared to club costs but thats the way it is. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.Also thanks for the replies I received for my first couple of questions. There wasn't a "reply" button for me to hit to say thank you.Maybe because I'm a new poster?

• Cicero733
    2,291 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:07 AM

For your putter enter the pro shop through the main web page, select pro shop on the left hand side of the page, select clubs, then select putters. In each individual box that displays a putter you will see the statement “learn more” in the bottom right hand corner of the box. Open that up and it will give you the scale increments for that particular putter.

On the golf balls you use. TItleist is a good ball and is pricey. TM is a good ball. However these higher priced balls generally work best with higher end clubs. With the TItleist you are buying a level of performance you cannot take advantage of with your clubs. Experiment with some of the lower end balls until you find one you like. As you move up and upgrade your clubs you can then look at and re-evaluate the higher end golf balls.

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:23 AM

RexMatthew:
    How do I see a putters distance scales before I buy it? I'm currently using an odyssey putter from a few years ago with a 15, 30, 60, 150 , 300 for distance and I'm L35 just turned pro. I'd like to have a putter with a 10, 20 , 50 etc. scale. I'm not unhappy with my putter, I'd just rather have the 10, 20 scale. 

I would wait it out until your level is higher- get a better putter in the scale you want. 

RexMatthew:
    I'm using Ben Hogan irons (spin 3) and they don't stick as much as I'd like them to. I think its a long while before I can get better spinning irons so should I bite the bullet cost wise and pay the price for premium balls with a high spin number?   

You are correct that your level semi-handicaps you with irons and balls- I think your right in how your approaching it. same as putter- I would wait till lvl 50s and start looking.

RexMatthew:
    The last club fix I'd like to change is my wedges distance. I have Cleveland wedges 64, 54, 52, for distances of 60, 85, 100. I'd like to have 60, 80, 100 for symmetry and the easier the math, the happier I am. Replacing the 85 with an 80 means I'd have a club with a different meter speed and other stats so should I make do with what I have until I'm a much higher level? 

Personally I would wait on that too.

I would also encourage you to seek out an active country club as well!

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:29 AM

Equipment Comparison Tables

⇩ EDIT : You're welcome Rex, thank you.  ; ) ⇩

• RexMatthew
    13 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:31 AM

Thanks. Is it unrealistic for me to stick long iron shots with the Ben Hogan's with a spin factor of 3 ?                                                                                                                                 I found the equipment spreadsheet in the forums and it looks like I'll wait till 60's or 70's level for the Volkey irons and master level for the Max control putter.                                       One more question, which activity gets me to master from pro the quickest? It's more than just leveling, I have to have certain stats to advance to master correct?

• RexMatthew
    13 Posts
    Mon, Jan 10 2022 11:25 AM

Thanks for the help guys and ScottHope for making the Equipment  Comparison chart. I'll be using that many times in the future. I did find the chart while learning from the forums and mentioned that in a post but as a new poster they dont post right away. I think it's great that this community is super helpfull to everyone including the lower players like myself.

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Tue, Jan 11 2022 6:14 AM

Rex,just a note here. The reason your irons don't stick isn't so much the spin rate but the trajectory. I believe the first irons with a high traj are the ping i500 at lvl 59. Hope this helps gl.

RSS