Help › Forums

TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER,

Sun, Jan 30 2022 7:24 PM (109 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 1:59 AM

SamSpayed:
    Robert1893:
    Yes, it has occurred to me that he cannot help it. I've dismissed the idea. Clearly, he has the ability to refrain and simply chooses to do otherwise. 

Alcoholics! Why don't they chose not to drink? 

SamSpayed:

+1

IMHO one of the reasons WGTNico was brought in was to handle situations like this.  I'm sure he'll do what he thinks is best.

Lol, no hinting at all there.  Do you really think that makes a ban more likely to happen?

• craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 4:20 AM

Word of the Day: FLIBBERTIGIBBET — a silly person who talks too much .

Wasn't it in 'The Sound of Music'?... "How to solve a problem like Maria?"

A silly person who talks too much ... it rings a bell..

It was in the list of polite words for people whom one can't stand .

Is Henry really as dim as he seems every time he appears?

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 6:11 AM

DodgyPutter:

I dismissed the notion because he has gone extended periods of not posting or replying like he does sometimes.

So, the reason I stated he clearly can refrain is he clearly has refrained. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:05 AM

Just as an aside, I think people should be very careful in suggesting anyone on here suffers from any type of mental illness. Most of us are not qualified to make such a determination. And those who are qualified would not (or should not) because they understand diagnosing someone they have not met and based solely on discussion board posts is fraught with difficulty. 

While discussion board posts as well as social media posts have potential for use in identifying mental illness in individuals, there are important limitations that have been noted in the research. 

Yes, in the past, I have been guilty of doing just that (i.e., suggesting certain players have so-called issues). But I was wrong to do so. It was wrong then and would be wrong now.

Just my 2 cents. Carry on. 

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:08 AM

Robert1893:
    Most of us are not qualified to make such a determination. And those who are qualified would not (or should not) because they understand diagnosing someone they have not met and based solely on discussion board posts is fraught with difficulty.

The same can be said about this, as well:

Robert1893:
    Yes, it has occurred to me that he cannot help it. I've dismissed the idea. Clearly, he has the ability to refrain and simply chooses to do otherwise. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:21 AM

HamdenPro:
    The same can be said about this, as well:

Yes, one could certainly say the same about that statement as well.

But to do so, one would have to ignore the subsequent point I made. And that point is simply this: he has refrained from posting for extended periods, while still being active as evidenced by wall activity.

So, my statement was based on behavior we can see. To reiterate: I believe he can refrain because he has refrained.

As another point of evidence, he went for a year without replying to a PM he kept from me. He starting replying again a few days ago, even though I don't respond. So, for a year, he was able to refrain from replying to it. At some point, he will stop replying again. 

I understand people love to have "gotcha" moments. This is not one of them.

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:31 AM

Your observed behavior does not necessarily lead to evidence that he can refrain, based on past ability to so.  As Dodgy pointed out about an alcoholic choosing to drink. Some, actually stop for a while and then start again. Is that evidence that they are not really an alcoholic?

I am not going to debate this point, and it is not a "gotcha" by no means.

My initial post was simply stating that it was possible that he cannot help himself, it was a not a diagnosis.  Ultimately, my point was, he should simply be ignored, no matter how difficult that is for you to do.

There was actually no reason for you to make the statements you previously did about diagnosing mental illness. My statement was made a few replies earlier and there was no reason to now just reply to it.  I took that as a direct response to my prior reply and did not appreciate it.

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:32 AM

DodgyPutter:

Robert1893:

WOW!  Did you seriously compare someone trolling the WGT Forums to people struggling with substance abuse?

I always had respect for you, Dodgy (at least until now), but that's low even for you.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:37 AM

"...he should simply be ignored"

While there is plausibility in both points of view (he can't help himself or, he is being obnoxious by design), Steff's point ^^^ is completely on the mark. I've had difficulty in the past doing this, but I will provide no further responses to Henry's posts.

ct

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2022 9:42 AM

SamSpayed:
    WOW!  Did you seriously compare someone trolling the WGT Forums to people struggling with substance abuse?

Yes, he did.

While I basically chose not to address it, my internal response was the same as yours.

RSS