Forums

Help › Forums

ODDS, ENDS and OTHER THINGS..

Wed, Apr 10 2024 1:08 AM (1,171 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2023 10:08 PM

garyk49:
    And the Nautilus(SS571) was tied up outside the confines of the sub base, on the Thames river, right below one of the parking lots, off base, at least it was in 72, when I was discharged

The Nautilus is still there, it  is a museum, tied up just outside the Coast Guard Academy, open to the public, free admission to walk aboard, and within,.the first Nuclear sub. Go visit, you can get a free bumper sticker that advertises that Groton is the sub capital of the world. That is to make sure that everywhere you go, you can spread the word...

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 5:25 AM
    I went on a tour of the queen elizabeth in los angelos . They took you down to the deepest point and then told you to imagine being down there in ww2 in the middle of the atlantic . Then they simulated a torpedo hit and water pouring in from all sides . I almost shat myself . And the ghost in the swimming pool didn't help .
  • HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 5:55 AM

craigswan:
    I went on a tour of the queen elizabeth in los angelos . They took you down to the deepest point and then told you to imagine being down there in ww2 in the middle of the atlantic . Then they simulated a torpedo hit and water pouring in from all sides . I almost shat myself . And the ghost in the swimming pool didn't help .

Ahem...

Actually, it is the Queen Mary that is docked in Long Beach, California, not the Queen Elizabeth II, (which is now a floating hotel in Dubai).

https://queenmary.com/

Further, the ghost tale, and encounters, pertain to the Queen Mary.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/ca-queenmary/

The movie "Ghost Ship" was inspired by the ghost of the Queen Mary.

It is true that the QEII saw some of WWII as she was used, for a time, as a troop carrier.

Now, it is possible, I guess, that you toured the HMS Queen Elizabeth, a war ship (although not in California), but it is unlikely it had a swimming pool, I think only submarines have those. LOL

P.S. You really should fact check, Craig!  Maybe you got confused and you were on the QEII when you were visiting your son. :)  Sometimes it is hard to keep "ship" straight.

EDIT: I was incorrect in stating the QEII carried troops during World War II, as pointed out below, by Zzyx01, it was the Queen Elizabeth (not QEII). Thank you to Zzyxo1 for point that out

The QEII was used to carry troops in the Falkland Islands. (thank you PureGro - see his post below).

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 6:06 AM
    Mary . Elizabeth . Cannot expect me to remember them all .
  • HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 6:07 AM

craigswan:
    Mary . Elizabeth . Cannot expect me to remember them all

Agreed, but it does help if telling the story - at least in this thread.

:)

• IamNicklaus
    494 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 6:13 AM

At the moment , I'm following a series on the BBC which is focused on the HMS Queen Elizabeth , fascinating  stuff :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0dnv93q/the-warship-tour-of-duty

• Zzyzx01
    1,251 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 7:09 AM

HamdenPro:

Ahem...

It is true that the QEII saw some of WWII as she was used, for a time, as a troop carrier.

Now, it is possible, I guess, that you toured the HMS Queen Elizabeth, a war ship (although not in California), but it is unlikely it had a swimming pool, I think only submarines have those. LOL

P.S. You really should fact check, Craig!  Maybe you got confused and you were on the QEII when you were visiting your son. :)  Sometimes it is hard to keep "ship" straight.

Continue fact checking H.P.  ...

The QE II could not have been in WWII because it wasn't launched until 1967.  It was the QE I that served as a troop carrier during WWII as did the RMS Queen Mary.

The QE I  carried the RMS (Royal Mail Ship) designation, not HMS.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 7:17 AM

Zzyzx01:
    Continue fact checking H.P.  ...

LOL

OK, you got me! What do you expect, I am American?

I stand corrected :)

However, there is a HMS Queen Elizabeth..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Queen_Elizabeth_(R08)

Thank you for the clarification. I do hate to get my facts wrong.

At least partially wrong, the QEII was used as a troop carrier

"In 1982 the QE2 was briefly requisitioned as a troop carrier in the Falkland Islands War"

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2023 9:10 AM
    Ok . It was the queen mary but i did visit . Another story they told me was when the ship crossed the atlantic it went at a certain rate of knots zig zagging all the time to avoid the german submarines . The ship had a convoy front and back and all the captains were told if they make a mistake and got in the way they would just run down and sink their own men . Apparently this happened and some hundreds of men were lost as they would not stop for survivors .
RSS