• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2022 8:13 PM

SamSpayed:

HamdenPro:

Cicero733:
    you’re not familiar with Star Trek?

Maybe, tell me more.

LOL, I know what Star Trek is, I just wanted Cicero to keep explaining it.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2022 8:21 PM

On a more serious note, I just finished the 2nd round of Showdown. I was very lucky and am in 2nd so I will make final.  I noticed #3 was an amateur that started in January 2022.

He has four ranked rounds as a Hack, score nothing special (70s) but he got to level 20 and was able to rent clubs for the Showdown. 

Not too bad for an amateur who just started two days ago to qualify for a Showdown, let alone be in 3rd place in the 2nd round at -5.

As stated earlier, the last one I notified WGT about, just the other day, is now suspended.

Should I notify them of this one too? It does not affect me personally, but it will affect others.

If I notify WGT should they not provide some kind of bounty.... like, for every 3 players you turn in, you get a sleeve of balls, or something?

It feels a little petty to "narc" but this game has gotten to the point where this is so prevalent.  I realize it is just for fun, and, for me, who has no chance of winning these events anyway, it is no big deal, but it is not right.

• AlaskanDame
    18,878 Posts
    Sun, Jan 2 2022 10:21 PM

I have a friend who once said, “when you’re strolling the beach, and you see a discarded soda can lying in the sand, you have to decide if that’s your soda can to pick up or if you’ll leave it for the next stroller. . . or forever. .  and just continue enjoying your stroll.”

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 12:16 AM

AlaskanDame:

I have a friend who once said, “when you’re strolling the beach, and you see a discarded soda can lying in the sand, you have to decide if that’s your soda can to pick up or if you’ll leave it for the next stroller. . . or forever. .  and just continue enjoying your stroll.”

Pick it up …….. always 

• Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 4:51 AM

HP

Guess it’s just your luck that you encountered two of these individuals in such a short period of time. As an individual player you have no way of determining whether or not these folks are legitimate players. That’s for WGT to decide and WGT can only do that is if they are brought to their attention. It’s your call obviously, but I believe you should report your observation for the “good of the game”. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 6:51 AM

if you move out of the rookie showdown and into the veteran you won't see any of that.

In the rookie everyone plays from their own tees. In the veteran it's the master/TM tees for everyone. 

This is why a reroll hack/amateur  has such an advantage. They are much closer to the greens. 

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 7:27 AM

Mythanatos:
    if you move out of the rookie showdown and into the veteran you won't see any of that.

You suggestion is a good one and definitely fuel for thought. I tried the Veteran Showdown twice, the first time I did not qualify and the last time, I got knocked out during elimination. Notwithstanding, that was a few months ago and I have gotten a little better. I will try Veteran again next Rush or Showdown.

Mythanatos:
    This is why a reroll hack/amateur has such an advantage. They are much closer to the greens

If a hack, or Amateur is a "true" beginner, it should not matter what tee box they use. Mistakes will still be made, scores will still be high, at least for a little while, until they get used to the game and VEM. It does not bother me that they can use short tees during the Showdowns.

In this instance, we have a member who just started two days ago and is sitting, as of now, in 4th place of the second round with a - 8 (my first post said -5 but I was mistaken. It is -8). The top 3, so far, are a Champion, a Legend and me.

I have been thinking about Boss' and AKD's replies above, and some of Robert's in other threads. I am torn between reporting the member because we should "pick up the trash", or just enjoying the game for what it is, and let members like that do their thing if it so important to them to win coins or sponsor boxes or whatever. 

I like to play in the showdowns, they are fun. I play for that reason, not what prize I may win, people who have to cheat in a game like this just really irks me. It seems so prevalent that, if I keep "picking up the trash" it will be to the point that we will need a landfill.

Maybe the Answer is not having us policing the leaderboards but for WGT to do it, kind of like drug testing the winners after a sporting event. It would not be difficult for WGT to review the top 10 before finalizing the results. They should do this in every event where a prize is awarded. As an alternative, do it randomly. If a member knows that WGT does random reviews of winners, then maybe less will take the chance.

It should be noted, as for the first member I reported, the 2nd profile was suspended, not the member's original profile. So, he was ejected from the Showdown, not suspended from the game. He continues under his original profile. I think that is also a problem. If you are caught cheating, you should be suspended, not simply lose the use of the second account.

Maybe it is time for criminal reform on WGT ....

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 8:07 AM

My view of the reporting or not , is that if we don’t report the blatant cheaters , then WGT won’t consider it to be an important issue . I too will never be in a position of being cheated out of a win , I am not good enough , but I do feel a responsibility to do the right thing. I accept that they are first and foremost cheating themselves , like a five year old playing a game would , but every bone in my body says it’s not fair and must be reported.

Mythanatos, I hear what you say about moving to veteran , and this time I have , but needing -5 to get through first round , and maybe my -10 will get me through to the final round , certainly doesn’t make me feel confident of my ability to always make it through to final round. It’s a tough competition. 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Wed, Jan 5 2022 1:21 AM

I see that you , Mythanatos are in my section for the final round of the showdown . My -11 isn’t even likely to finish top 50 , and a score currently -20 leading , with yourself and Fmagnets not yet having started . Don’t think the average tour legend , or below stands much of a look in , in the veteran group. 

• pmm711
    5,509 Posts
    Wed, Jan 5 2022 2:18 AM

bossbird:

I see that you , Mythanatos are in my section for the final round of the showdown . My -11 isn’t even likely to finish top 50 , and a score currently -20 leading , with yourself and Fmagnets not yet having started . Don’t think the average tour legend , or below stands much of a look in , in the veteran group. 

+1

RSS