Forums

Help › Forums

WINNERS & LOSERS

Mon, Jan 3 2022 2:24 AM (4 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2021 6:10 PM

Golf, a game which is usually played amongst friends. There can be challenges, side bets, bragging rights but, in the end, it is all just for fun. Especially so on WGT.  In fact, does not WGT stress, in its TOS, good sportsmanship?

So, Match Play, Showdowns, Coins Rooms, Turf Wars, Alt and Tournaments, winners? Heck Yeah, Losers, Heck Yeah!!!

What about stroke play among friends or the random game? Is it not just two or more members playing the same course, together, for fun and, in the process, trying to get the lowest score they can..Winners? Losers? Does it matter?

I was playing a friend today. We were playing a practice round as he has not played in a long time. I, on the other hand have been playing pretty regularly. He is not a Tour Legend, I am, but should not be.

I played well, I was under -4 or -5, does not matter. He was over a few. No big deal. I did not think much of it as I was too busy enjoying the company.

At the end of the game, the screen says WINNER... I felt weird about that and equally so on the last tee when it says how many strokes you are up.

Consider a new player, joining a random match, he/she gets smoked and, in the end, it says, you are Down by 9 strokes and then names one as the WINNER. When that happens, well, the Loser knows that they are a Loser. 

Where is the sportsmanship in naming a winner in a friendly game?

Is it impossible to just show the players and the scores, or just the scorecard, at the end of the round?

Seriously, when I beat someone, I do not need WGT to tell them, I am perfectly capable of expressing that myself.

EDIT: Yes, Sam, I have had the lowest score when playing some friends. So, no need to say something about something. You have the trophy, cherish it for now, it is only temporary. However, you and Dodgy are free to discuss this in a different thread. Try The Last Word.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 3:36 AM

It sounds strange for a practice game for sure, but I'm guessing that they simply didn't care to change the setting more, compared to ranked rounds.

Apart from that, there's a downside of playing an MP practice round, especially with a skill gap between the players. This is because you are both situated on the same tee to the detriment of any lesser tier.

You may know that this "winner" declaration may be faulty, since a quitter is prone to "win" if the other player finishes - his lower score counts, unjustly.

The only good thing in any case is that there is no record of the ranking - it vanishes when you leave the game.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 6:40 AM

alosso:
    there's a downside of playing an MP practice round, especially with a skill gap between the players. This is because you are both situated on the same tee to the detriment of any lesser tier.

Whether it is practice round or a ranked round, my point is the same - There is no "opponent" or "loser".  You use the word "detriment", to what detriment? It is not a match, which is exactly my point.

If two or more players are playing, just to play, or friends are playing for the purpose of enjoying each other's company as they play a game, how they measure up against each other is irrelevant. In playing such games, are we not all just playing against the Course?

Somewhere, in an old thread I read a post which questioned why, in regular ranked rounds, while waiting to hit, the screen had the words "WATCHING OPPONENT" when, in fact, unless it is a match, or tournament (of some format), there is no opponent.  I agreed with that OP.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 10:11 AM

HamdenPro:
    If two or more players are playing, just to play, or friends are playing for the purpose of enjoying each other's company as they play a game, how they measure up against each other is irrelevant. In playing such games, are we not all just playing against the Course?

That's the way I see it too.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 2:24 AM

alosso:
    there's a downside of playing an MP practice round, especially with a skill gap between the players. This is because you are both situated on the same tee to the detriment of any lesser tier.

HamdenPro:
    Whether it is practice round or a ranked round, my point is the same - There is no "opponent" or "loser".
    True, also in my words.

HamdenPro:
    You use the word "detriment", to what detriment? It is not a match, which is exactly my point.
    True again!

Still, ithe game more difficult with lesser equipment. Playing from the same tees makes this painfully visible.

RSS