Forums

Help › Forums

45 sec time clock on coin games

Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:51 AM (86 replies)
  • bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 2:08 AM

I think the 45 second clock is only fixed in the coin rooms , there are plenty of other arenas to play in , if 45 seconds isn’t enough . The coin rooms started for mobile players , and we are used to and often don’t need 45 seconds or anywhere near , and we don’t use spread sheets rules calculators etc. Give a longer clock time and some pc players will revert to those to play with. Perhaps treat coin rooms as what they were intended , just a quick game , no stats taken so it really doesn’t matter if those aids to hitting a shot can’t be used. Learn to play instinctively. 

• Stephanie964
    25 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 5:54 AM

Totally agree bossbird has hit it on the head, but why oh why, do we need the timer or perhaps extend it to a minute when playing friends, sometimes your trying to impart tips and advice to club members, sometimes just having a good old chinwag and bang they're gone, timed out. Who else feels this way, be very interested to know any ideas people may have.

• mrmp1
    528 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 9:16 AM

I enjoy the 45 seconds 1 hole Chelsea room and you do get 1 free timeout IMO that should be enough

• SamSpayed
    4,888 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 9:59 AM

Stephanie964:
    perhaps extend it to a minute when playing friends, sometimes your trying to impart tips and advice to club members

Stephanie, I agree. 

In one of my old clubs, we tried to set up a coaching program where new players would be paired up with a more seasoned player (coach) who would help give them suggestions on how to hit different shots from different lies during the game.  That quickly fell apart for mobile players, because of the 45 sec / 2 timeouts rule.

I think having more clock options is better.  If you want to play a 45 (or 20 or 10) sec clock, great, just do that.  But give other players the option to set it for longer if that's more comfortable for them.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 10:45 AM

For friendlies , yes excellent idea . But for coin rooms it won’t work , because you don’t know who you will be paired with and different time clocks will restrict the pairings .

• protonc
    644 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2021 6:28 PM

bossbird:
    Perhaps treat coin rooms as what they were intended , just a quick game

+1

• Slimjim001
    1,024 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2021 7:08 AM

I am one of those old school guys whose brain and reflexes don't handle the 45 second shot clock well so I no longer torture myself trying. As I think about this clock thing, I would not want my PC clock options changed to accomodate mobile players so I guess its only fair that their 45 second clock not be changed to accomodate me. I'm satisfied with the options I have available to me in the PC world. At my age, nothing works fast any more. By the way, it is seldom that I use more than 60 seconds to get a shot off and out of respect for other players, I try not to play slower than I necessary but I do want the option to use 90 seconds for more complicated shots, especially in the more important  tournaments.  

SlooooowSlim

• EdZortales
    91 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2021 9:01 AM

Totally agree Slimjim001. I CAN play the 45 second clock, but favour the longer times. However, I do enjoy the "Showdown" Tournaments. I like the format, it lets me play competitively in short games against other players, with the possibility of a small prize at the end, so why not extend the clock to 60 seconds? Surely that's giving the slower and faster players a fair crack ..... it's amazing how much difference a 15 second increase makes. Alternatively make two tournaments with different shot times, give us all a break WGT!

Just_as_Slooooow_Ed

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2021 9:33 AM

45 seconds is plenty.

get one timeout to use on a particularly complicated shot if needed.

Learn to look at the yardage when your ball stops rolling and already start doing the mental math on the shot before it's your turn. or if next,  while the game is loading.

if slow on the mental math for whatever reason then play with a calculator beside you. Every phone has one now.

if you use 3rd party programs to calculate for you and you're losing time by entering the numbers and alt tabbing then that's on you. stop using that crap. learn to do it yourself. it's faster.

see the same thing as above if use spreadsheets and that's slowing you down. that's on you. not the game. learn to play without that crap.

• BOZskills
    391 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2021 3:15 PM

Mythanatos 👍!

RSS