Help › Forums

An "I am serious" forum

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 22 2021 10:41 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 8:53 AM

As we all know, oftentimes peeps with a serious question get ridiculed or their thread is hijacked. 

Now, I am not pointing fingers, and certainly not at myself but, there are times when there is a great question raised which should be responded to with thoughtfulness and insight.

I once posted a question in a thread I started called "Serious Question - What is spam on WGT", at the end I put "Please serious replies only".

There were no replies to that thread.

See

Serious Question - What is Spam on WGT? - World Golf Tour

I was not real upset there were no replies. Although there were no replies, the thread was not hijacked into something else.  Truthfully, thinking back, if someone else posted it, I may have hijacked it for sure with a pic of a can of spam...

But seriously, if there was an area in the forum for serious questions only it might help.

Oh - SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY and that includes you HamdenPro! (I am serious)

P.S.  Any members who's member name includes a type of bird, stay out of this thread and, that's the Last Word. This would not include BossBird as the name does not include a type of bird but merely points out the high status among birds.

• IamNicklaus
    494 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 9:01 AM

But everyone thinks their views are " serious" or for want of a better word valid ....so.who decides whether the response is " serious " enough ?

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 12:26 PM

IamNicklaus:
    But everyone thinks their views are " serious"

Views and questions are not the same thing.

It appears that when someone expresses a view, or opinion, they are at the mercy of those who have to express other views, opinions or just make fun of the OP.  I find myself doing these things as well but only to inject a little humor when things get way to serious.

In contrast, a question is just that. Most times, when a member has a question and is seeking advice, people generally respond with thoughtfulness until, eventually, someone has to have the last word and hijacks the thread. Many a good thread have been ruined that way.

That is why I was suggesting a specific area of the forum where it is strictly legit, no hijinks.

If someone does not have a reply that is productive, they do not reply.

I can see where it can be frustrating for a member seeking answers has to put up with the likes of me and others.

For what it's worth, I am sorry your opinion about needed fixes turned into disparaging behavior.  That is why I posted this thread to begin with.

I do appreciate your "serious" reply.

Seriously :-)

P.S. Every opinion, or view, is valid to the person expressing it. And who decides what is serious, well me (duh)... Sorry, couldn't resist.

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 4:16 PM

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 6:30 PM

PureGro1:

Thank you PureGro:

You just made my point. I couldn't have done it better.

Seriously.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 7:18 PM

HamdenPro:

I once posted a question in a thread I started called "Serious Question - What is spam on WGT", at the end I put "Please serious replies only".

There were no replies to that thread.

And what conclusions do you draw from that?

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 7:29 PM

SamSpayed:

1. Everyone thought it was a stupid thread and did not bother with it; or

2. Everyone respected my request of serious replies only and no one wished to comment without seeming like they were insensitive. to the OP;

Honestly, I thought, and think, it is the former.

What conclusions would you draw from it?

EDIT: BTW, in thinking of PureGro's reply, and mine to his, I would add, I am serious at times, but I like to inject some humor. I think you can be both at the same time and still make a valid, if not entirely accepted point.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 10:21 PM

Two errors IMHO:

1) you can't limit replies in a forum, and

2) you can't exclude anyone.

Both stem from the cardinal error,

0) you don't own a thread, even if it has your name on it.

What any OP does, he puts a thought and/or a question out in the world-wide open, and it becomes subject to any weather and any mood above the threshold of the "post" button.

Sometimes it works to your intent, sometimes it doesn't. We've had two months' worth of earnest discussions here as well as slatings in reply #1.

IMHO, a question should be answered after two pages, then the fun may begin!

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:46 AM

HamdenPro:

SamSpayed:

2. Everyone respected my request of serious replies only and no one wished to comment without seeming like they were insensitive. to the OP;

EDIT: BTW, in thinking of PureGro's reply, and mine to his, I would add, I am serious at times, but I like to inject some humor. I think you can be both at the same time and still make a valid, if not entirely accepted point.

HP , have you ever considered that humour is also subjective , eg your humour in your native tongue may not be understood by this international forum ? My humour and your humour even if the same nationality , probably will not be the same humour. 
    my opinion is we need to be relaxed and kind natured , respectful and helpful, non belittling  and not bullying , before we are anything else. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 2:56 AM

bossbird:

HamdenPro:

SamSpayed:

HP , have you ever considered that humour is also subjective , eg your humour in your native tongue may not be understood by this international forum ? My humour and your humour even if the same nationality , probably will not be the same humour. 
    my opinion is we need to be relaxed and kind natured , respectful and helpful, non belittling  and not bullying , before we are anything else. 

I can't sort this in my head so it doesn't sound a bit pompous but I'll go for it anyway.

The forum is intended for getting/giving information but we're all here on a game site to have fun. 

I think you are both right. I can't, and wouldn't want to, argue with anything Lesley said.

I enjoy HP's humour and those posts are part of the fun of this game for me and I certainly agree with the Edit.  I don't think some get it sometimes and I suppose that could eventually lead to trouble.  My opinion is you just have to be careful who you use it on; PureGro, Sam etc know what's happening, others can handle it, but there may be some that are perhaps new to the forum, and/or nervous of it, that need to be treated more cautiously.  

• PAGES
RSS