Forums

Help › Forums

First Iron Upgrade help

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 7 2021 8:56 PM (4 replies)
  • Ozeko
    3 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 12:48 PM

I'm level 31. Looking to upgrade from starter irons. I'm between the Ben Hogan PTx Iron Set (L25+) or the PING i500 Iron Set (L27+) which is 500 credits cheaper for .5 less meter speed. I'm going to pare it with the WGT GI-S or the WGT GI2-S

Any insights? Ping better value?

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 8:35 AM

I would go Hogan- not a fan of the ping irons at all.

• Ozeko
    3 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 9:29 AM

Thanks. I remember every time I rented at level up the Hogans felt best. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 4:45 PM

Ozeko:
    Any insights?

level progression is fairly quick in the lower levels - which means any irons you buy - will quickly feel outdated in a relatively short amount of time - so you are better off delaying a purchase - until you can get more use for the clubs you buy for a longer period of time from irons that will be more playable and worth the credits.

for me that was the L59 Pings.  and I used the starter irons and when I had enough coins - I used a couple of the coin rental club sets - to serve as a slight upgrade until then.

here is the thing - using starter irons - will help teach you more about course management - getting up and down to save par with your wedges - then constantly trying to buy a better game.  some people upgrade quickly thinking the clubs will solve all their problems but they don't change how they think about playing various holes.

even with the highest end clubs - I still find - when playing heavy winds - thinking about where to lay up -  or playing with 3wd or 3i off the tee to give myself a better distance into a short par 4 - etc... such things can save more shots than people just bombing driver then missing a fairway and not knowing how to save par from the rough.  

practice - and the better you get using starter irons - the more value you will get out of better clubs - because you will have put in some work in knowing how to use them.

-having said that the L0 Titleist clubs were not around when I started - but they are costly and I have not really tested or tried them out - but what you need to keep in mind - the more upgrades you do early - the faster you will get promoted - because WGT uses saturation - and coin room progress - level progression to force promotions - so rushing without learning how to play - will constantly leave you feeling like you have to buy a better game - and sometimes - you need to learn the game - because the clubs and high end expensive balls alone won't do it for you.

be patient... that is my advice... if you can shoot par with your starter clubs off your tees - especially with your new driver - then you might be ready to think about an upgrade - otherwise you are just trying to compensate for weak aspects of your game - that even after an upgrade you still have to learn.

• Ozeko
    3 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 8:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see your post before getting the hogans. They play much better than the starter irons. I'm only going to do one upgrade then save credits doing surveys and the videos for the higher-level clubs. I didn't know they game pushes your levels up so quickly.

RSS