Forums

Help › Forums

Wedges

Tue, May 31 2022 8:29 AM (5 replies)
  • Leolibby
    4 Posts
    Fri, Nov 26 2021 7:19 PM

Hi Is there anywhere or anyone  on here that can give me information/lesson on wedges.  I went to the pro shop and I can't see or don't know the difference between a sand wedge or a LOB wedge. I ended up with two that do the same thing so when I select either one the distance is the same.

• RickinWaSt
    2,062 Posts
    Sun, Nov 28 2021 8:35 PM

There’s a few distance variations. Plays have their preference. Stay with the same club distances as you level up. Be mindful of increased spin rates. Mine include…

64W aka Lob wedge (60Y) Best for the pitch, punch, & lob shots  

60W aka Also a Lob wedge (80Y)

56W aka Sand wedge (100Y)

Hope this helps?

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, Nov 29 2021 6:30 AM

In this game, having a hybrid is useless. Virtually all of the best players drop the hybrid and carry 3 good wedges. You want a 64 degree (50/60 yard), a 60 degree (75/80 yard) and a 56 degree (100 yard) wedge with good spin. Many will argue about the best wedges, but for the sake of brevity, if you buy the top Titleist wedges (60/80/100) you can't go wrong. There may be reasons for a different set up, but there are no wedges better.

As for how to use these wedges, look through the forums for tips, and practice practice practice. Learn all the shots. Full, Punch, Flop, Pitch, and Chip all have their place and time where they are the best shot for the situation. If you don't learn when and how to play all those shots you will never be your best.

I hope that helps

BP

EDIT: If you are on Discord and play on a PC, I would join you for a practice round and give you some tips.

• JohnJohn02020
    3 Posts
    Fri, Dec 10 2021 11:21 AM

How do you drop the hybrid and add 3rd wedge

• Mzzz999
    1 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2022 9:13 PM

Where does one “practice” wedge shots in the app?  Ty

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Tue, May 31 2022 8:29 AM

Mzzz999:

Where does one “practice” wedge shots in the app?  Ty

You can play any course in practice mode, but that will still use up hits on your ball.

I always thought the best place to learn this game was playing the weekly 9-Hole Unlimited Play over and over each week. It is not only good practice, but it helps you learn the different courses 9 holes at a time. 

As a newer player, you will probably advance levels fairly fast and you may not have those wedges very long. There is no reason to spend too much time "practicing" with them because the better / higher spin wedges will play quite a bit different. Virtually all the advice you will find in the forum about playing different shots is geared towards top level wedges.

RSS