Forums

Help › Forums

WGT won't launch with laptop connected to hub but it used to!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 23 2021 1:12 AM (7 replies)
  • aliballibee
    36 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2021 3:02 PM

Hello all,

WGT is now failing to launch when my DELL laptop is connected to my DELL DisplayLink Hub. It used to but has now stopped.

For those that might not know the DisplayLink Hub is connected to my keyboard, mouse and two separate monitors.

The launcher will open but when I hit play I briefly see a red exclamation mark beside (I think) a golf ball. I've tried holding down CTRL without success.

If I disconnect my laptop from the DisplayLink I can get WGT to start but the screen is banded by a thick white border, with the top and bottom of the screen cut off.

Is there possibly a setting I can change to correct this issue?

Thanks for any assistance.

• MightyMalthus
    13 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2021 3:28 PM

I am having somewhat he same problem; when I launch the desktop app and click past the 'game is updated' window, the window collapses to about 1 1/2" wide x 1/4" high and all I see is he minimize, maximize, and close icons that we normally see in the upper right hand of any window; the only choice I have is to close it. Been like that since yesterday and WGT support, after being very proactive on other occasions, has absolutely disappeared: no response back at all, not even the standard "we got your message and will respond within 24 hours" automated reply. WGT support has utterly vanished.

I understand they did an update on Wednesday, if I had to make a guess, I would say this might have something to do with that.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Fri, Nov 19 2021 3:29 PM

Does an exclamation mark indicate a memory issue?

Have you tried with just one monitor connected to your hub?

• aliballibee
    36 Posts
    Sun, Nov 21 2021 12:29 PM

Wee update...

Disconnected the hub and just started it normally on my laptop, without using the "ctrl" key.

Game started normally and without the heavy white border on the playing screen.

The image that comes up when in error is a golf ball, with driver behind and a red exclamation mark to the side. 

So for now, I'll need to play without the other items being connected. 

Scott - no difference with one or two monitors connected. Not sure why this started when all was good before. I even tried changing the screen resolution to see if that caused it - no real change, other than the exclamation mark stayed on the screen longer as it appeared to try and load something.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Sun, Nov 21 2021 1:08 PM

Aliballibee, the ctrl key thing doesn't work anymore, so no need to bother with that.

Have you tried connecting an external monitor directly to your laptop without using the hub?

MightyMalthus, as your game does run, but collapses to a tiny window, you could try a reset.

• MightyMalthus
    13 Posts
    Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:32 PM

ScottHope, I will give it a try, thanks for the link. :)

• aliballibee
    36 Posts
    Mon, Nov 22 2021 1:04 PM

Thanks Scott

Without the hub connected I can directly connect another monitor without affecting the game.

If I start the game in laptop only mode and then connect the "displaylink" hub, via usb connection, it corrupts the playing window and gives me the fat border, which cuts the top and bottom of the screen off.

There must be a setting or switch in the game that's impacted by the hub settings, as all other software operates correctly. Not the end of the world and will probably just lead to me playing less.

Thanks

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2021 1:12 AM

I'm not convinced it would make any difference ali, but you could try a reset that I linked to in my previous post. It won't do any harm, and you never know, it might just work!

RSS