Forums

Help › Forums

Yancy investigatables bureau - are dinosaurs still roaming the earth?

Sat, Dec 18 2021 11:00 PM (62 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 2:16 PM

Okay, I'll see if I can get to it with a 3 random hole play.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 2:33 PM

Another thought, if it helps.  I think that the fairway on #16 is the same as the "2nd fairway" to the left on CB #2.  So it's possible that you might be able to get up next to it from there. 

I don't think that it's the same sign as the Oak Hill sign that drmoose found on CB #2.  The area around that sign looks different than mine.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 3:09 PM

Having a look at hole 2 on my OOB maps shows that it goes OOB before you get near to that area.

Hole 3 is the one closest, went left of the green there and I had my back to the area where the sign is but the camera was facing back to the green at number 3 so the sign was hidden by the ridge up the left side of hole 16.

Even went to Google maps, nothing showing there either.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 5:54 PM

I checked out hole 3 to try to hit to where I thought Sam was on 16. I hit across the road approx. 79 yds from green on the left of the hill. I noticed a small white sign and tried to his to it. I do not think it is the same as Sam's but not sure. I got as close as I could but the angle never let me read what was on it. It is not a wood carved. When I hit to different places around the sign, the sign was not there. I lost a lot of starter balls down the road (I might add) lol....any way, here is what I got...three pics the last being an enlargement of the second....

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 8:19 PM

ScottHope:
    Even went to Google maps, nothing showing there either.

Scott, I went to your Google Maps link above.  I saw 2 things.

1) This is the view from your link:

Note that there is no sign.

2) If you turn 90° to the right, this is what you see:

Note that there IS a wooden sign there.

Note the dates on the Google Maps street view images (Aug 2009).  My (new) theory is that sometime between Aug 2009 and when WGT photographed Chambers Bay, the wooden sign in the pic above was moved to be next to the road (and some paving to the tee box was added), and that's what we're seeing in my original pic with the red circle.

tl;dr:  Maybe the sign in my red circle isn't one of the 2 remaining course signs after all 😥

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 9:45 PM

SamSpayed:
    My (new) theory is that sometime between Aug 2009 and when WGT photographed Chambers Bay, the wooden sign in the pic above was moved

DEBUNKED

First this can't possibly be one of the 2, yet to be discoverd, signs on Chambers. The seven that have been found were all darker, woodtone, signs which provided the mileage to various courses (all of which are not on WGT).

Second, that is most definately not what is in your pic (besides being the wrong size and shape) and further, IT JUST ISN"T!!!

OK, heres the scoop boys:

I tried to enlarge Sams pics in order to read the signage better. It was difficult because the pics were horrible but, with my trained eye, I was able to make out the #16 and what appeared to be the word "Beached"...hmmmm.

I then, utilizing my extensive network of friends (Google), very quickly (by entering "Chambers #16 Beached") was able to deduce that the 16th Hole on Chambers is known, and referred to, as, yup.... "Beached". So, the sign has always been there as it is a directional sign to the 16th Hole (Beached). 

SamSpayed 0, Nancy Drew 1

BTW: If Scotty comes to the same conclusion, as he most definately will, and should his reply appear before mine, because he is special and not under moderation, just know that I figured it out first.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 10:30 PM

HamdenPro:

ScottHope:
    He is still there...

Yep, I went back earlier, after my last post. It took two tries to get the ball in the right vicinity, after that, I just hit around until I got to the 130ish range and compared the trees to the earlier sitings and VOILA'

OK, that was totally fun!!!!

Thank you so much Scotty, PMM and MioKontic!!!

You’re more than welcome.  You actually regenerated my interest in looking for some of these once again.  Yep, the game has been boring me since flash disappeared. 👍🏻

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 10:59 PM

SamSpayed:
    I don't think that it's the same sign as the Oak Hill sign that drmoose

Great News, I was able to enlarge Sam's mystery sign...

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2021 1:38 AM

SamSpayed:
    Maybe the sign in my red circle isn't one of the 2 remaining course signs after all 😥

Yup, got to agree on that one. They are very hard to find because they don't appear until you are almost on top of them. Pretty sure you won't see them from a distance.  : (

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2021 1:56 AM

HamdenPro:
    Thank you.  I was just advised the other day about the Easter eggs and course signs but no 411 on where they are located. I guess I will be spending sometime this weekend in the woods of Pinehurst.

I have Google Maps pages showing the location of all the eggs and the seven signs, including pictures taken by the members. But it's up to you to find those pages. Happy hunting.  ; )

RSS