Forums

Help › Forums

R1 L48 Driver Replacement Option

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 20 2021 11:00 AM (3 replies)
  • gregburbidge
    2 Posts
    Sat, Oct 16 2021 4:02 PM

Boo. I had been reading a lot about when and how to upgrade my clubs. I had been planning to upgrade my driver at L48 with the R1, following the frugal upgrade method. I just realized that's not actually an option. 

Does anyone have great suggestions for a decent replacement? I don't want to upgrade frequently, but am regularly getting outdriven off the tees at this point. I like the approach of a long drive so my starting irons and wedges don't have to get upgraded as soon. 

Help!

• Trtr30
    32 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2021 10:42 AM

I'm still using the L55 TaylorMade waiting for the Callaway L96 to be available. it works quite well for me. The L46 Max and L50 Callaway would also be good options with Max being the least expensive of the 3.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2021 12:01 PM

gregburbidge:

Boo. I had been reading a lot about when and how to upgrade my clubs. I had been planning to upgrade my driver at L48 with the R1, following the frugal upgrade method. I just realized that's not actually an option. 

Does anyone have great suggestions for a decent replacement? I don't want to upgrade frequently, but am regularly getting outdriven off the tees at this point. I like the approach of a long drive so my starting irons and wedges don't have to get upgraded as soon. 

Help!

Welcome to the Forums, Greg 😀

At your level, the best available driver is the Callaway Epic Speed Driver (L44+).  However, if you can wait until you reach Level 55 (which will not take you long), the TaylorMade SIM2 Driver (L55+) is an excellent choice with a much slower meter and will serve you well until you reach Legend tier.

Also, you are in a dead country club.  Your owner hasn't played in over 3 years and I only see 1 other player actively playing.  You are welcome to join our CC if you like (Mostly Harmless).  We are small but friendly and can offer tons of great advice.  If you're interested, just let me know, or just hit the Request to Join button on our club page.

Hope this helps.

• gregburbidge
    2 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2021 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm happy to wait it out and get the SIM2 at L55, especially with the slower meter. I usually play a hole in the morning before I have my glasses on, so the slower the better.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the CC. I'll head over your way to request access to the club. I had noticed that I was the only one contributing to the last challenge, but didn't think too much about it. 

Thanks for the great help!

RSS