Forums

Help › Forums

Build Me Up, Buttercup!

Fri, Nov 12 2021 8:27 PM (9 replies)
  • aardvarky
    7 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2021 4:24 PM

I've lurched my way up to Level 42 and have made a few purchases along the way.
    Now I need some help with club selection please as I think I've made a few poor choices.

Poor choice #1...Taylor Made SIM2 Driver (L40+)
    I needed the distance but the meter is much to fast for me and the sweet spot is narrow.
    Please - any advice appreciated for replacement.

Poor Choice #2...Cleveland CG16 52deg wedge (L7+) - wrong choice as it turns out I already have a 52deg wedge in my Ping G410 iron set (L17+)

Other stuff I have
    Taylor Made Spider X Putter (L35+) - very good, no probs with this.
    Cleveland CG16 64deg wedge (L7+) - should I just get a friend for this? (not another 52deg obviously!)

Any help on the above greatly appreciated.
    I have about 6700 gold coins - no, I don't use real cash.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2021 11:12 PM

As a Pro, you aren't in urgent need of longer clubs, fortunately.

There won't be too many replacements now for the driver, so hold on. When you become a Master (after Tour Pro), you will need longer clubs but also be in a higher level with more to choose. Until then, a good 3WD may serve well as a driver replacement, at 30-40% of the costs.

The common goal of buying clubs is to have evenly spaced lengths to cover most of the shots at 100% power or close to that.

The worst clubs in your bag are the remaining Starters, 3WD and Hybrid.

I'd propose to look for a new 3WD, perhaps wait for the L46 Max - dirt cheap and long, try it as a "driver"!

Then, consider to drop the Hybrid and to buy a decent wedge of 75 to 80 yds (the 60° wedges differ). Look from L35 up - the L39 TaylorMade is a good deal.

Today, you don't need a third wedge, as the PW is 100 yds. But, you have one, why not carry it? If you ever buy a better iron set (like the L59 Pings, high(!) trajectory), you may want to include a better wedge of 100 yds than the current 52°.

Have fun!

• aardvarky
    7 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2021 4:49 AM

Great advice and much appreciated thank you.

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2021 6:58 AM

the titlist level 0 drvr and 3wd are good, 3.8 speed

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2021 10:12 AM

PureGro1:
    the titlist level 0 drvr and 3wd are good, 3.8 speed

Not too bad, but both come with a ginormous pricetag "because of early availability!"

The L40 TaylorMade driver costs a third, albeit with lesser characteristics. The L58 Ping about matches the Early Bird, at half the price.

With 3WDs, it's even weirder:

The L40 Taylormade and the L58 Ping almost match the L0, at half and a third of the price, respectively.

This is a vivid example of "slow meter and early availability come at a cost!"

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2021 3:43 PM

aardvarky:
    Any help on the above greatly appreciated.
    I have about 6700 gold coins - no, I don't use real cash.

Take a look at the L27-31 Titleist wedges.  If you drop the hybrid and equip all 3 of those wedges, your game will improve.

There is a Free Rental Day going on right now.  Try them out for free, and if you like them, you can purchase them at a 10% discount.  (TODAY ONLY)

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Fri, Nov 5 2021 10:20 AM

There is a forum thread that has tables with exhaustive comparisons if interested. It is obvious, the individual(s) who created the table has way too much time on their hands..

CLUB TABLES

• MBUTT420
    15 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 10:37 AM

Your putter is good, I still use mine at level 91. I see you picked up some Vokey wedges, I'd grab the whole lower level set - I still use those at level 91 as well, with the exception of my 52 being a PM Grind. 

For irons, stay with whatever you got until you can buy the high trajectory ping irons around level 58. Stick with those until the level 85 Calloways. You're set for life after those basically.

For your driver, I'd stick it out for now until level 55. Then take the loss, sell it and grab the Level 55 Sim 2. Great yardage, forgiveness and meter speed for a level 55 club. It's only 5 yards short of my level 82 driver. So basically you're good with that thing for a long time too.

I wouldn't worry about a 3 wood until way later, you're better off with an extra wedge until you're at far tees basically - and never bother with a hybrid, again you're always better off with an extra wedge.

Balls are important too. The starter rocks suck. But the high level name brand balls are simply too expensive to be viable long term. i recommend the WGT Tour-SD balls. About 65 credits per sleeve with 2 meter speed and 2 spin. Does the job even on championship greens.

Thats my advice to spend the least money going forward. GL and HF!

• ScottHope
    10,015 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 11:57 AM

HamdenPro:
    There is a forum thread that has tables with exhaustive comparisons if interested. It is obvious, the individual(s) who created the table has way too much time on their hands..   CLUB TABLES

Lol.

• Duphpherer
    437 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2021 8:27 PM

I agree with earlier reply about the Level 55 Taylor sim2. Great driver that I will be using probably until level 90+.  

RSS