Forums

Help › Forums

Observations

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 14 2021 12:19 AM (1 replies)
  • Greynurse0
    37 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2021 12:38 PM

First up let me say,IMHO, that WGT golf is by far and away the best free-to-join golf game ever. Beautifull graphics and accurate GPS recreations of the structure and topography of all the courses contained within the game. A good interface, allowing for all the information, audio and visuals one can ever want.

BUT

And there's always a but, let me tend some observations of the game that, at best, shall we say, needs one to suspend belief.

* For a start, do American fairways have so little roll in reality? I only watch Free-to-air TV, so I don't see a lot of golf tournaments now, but when I was a lad, I remember the likes of Palmer, Sneed, Nicklaus et al making the cameramaen work hard to follow the ball as it rolled merrily along the fairway, up to 40 yards after it pitched. Most of the PGA courses they played then only seem to average 8-12 yards in the game, unless you have the wind at your back. By comparison, St Andrews always gives great value for your shot, with the ball averaging 15-20 yards with a cross wind. I should say here that I'm using the starter ball as a reference.

* Those funny little numbers in parentheses after the green speed don't mean much to current players. As a matter of fact, they're downright confusing. They were probably OK when WGT was a web based Flash game, but short of using a claculator and a stop watch, they seem to be of little value. Anyway that's why pro golfers have a caddy. Let them do the math. That's what they're paid for.

* Speaking of caddies. How dumb is the game's "caddy" at times. Tee off at the 9th at Chambers Bay. Blue tee distance is 188 yards. Caddy hands you a 3 iron. And you're 86 feet  above the pin!!! I don't want the ball to land in the bay. I want to find the green. Fortunately, previous players have wotked out the elevation formuala and have shared it on the forums, or in the game. Still, Dumb Caddy!

* I said that I used the starter ball as a reference, and I also use a starter ball in the game for a good reason. WGT is the backbone of a bussiness model. Nothing wrong with that. But to use anything other than a starter ball, you are going to need credits and lots of 'em. Many players of limited income usually buy enough credits to upgrade their clubs, but rely on Freebies from WGT when it comes to name ball. Winner's Circle is the big one at the moment. And herein lies the rub. 

The name ball Vs the starter ball. 

The name ball gives some great advantages, like slowing the swing meter and allowing real backspin on a shot, as well as extra distance. So much so that, as a Master, I've played Tournament Masters and Legends who play with a starter and more often than not I come away victorious. But as soon as I see my opponent has a Calloway, Titleist or any other name ball, even an amateur, I know I'm up for a tough game, and often walk away bloodied and beaten.

I'm not bitchin', just observing. But it does limit those low income earners the ability to become competative. I drool with envy as my opponent sticks the landing of their Calloway next to the pin on an elevated green, knowing I'm going to fly through to the rough on the far side. But on the bright side, if you're just looking to play a game of golf on some of the best courses in the world, then have at it and enjoy. Hey, it's even legal!

* I've noticed that since WGT went to the stand alone Topgolf format. That the only upgrades seem to have been cosmetic, like the setup interface. I'm wondering if the software writers have been removed from the payroll. The game itself could use a few tweaks. Like replacing those green speed numbers with simple multipliers. That kind of thing. Oh, and placing the ariel view of holes 1 and 8 on the screen for left hand swing meter users like me, at Pebble Beach. That'd be nice.

Cheers everyone

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2021 12:19 AM

As a starter, the game is FTP - PTW. It also inculdes an interesting detail of unexpected grind to let us pay more than we wanted - a perfect capitalist scenario.

As for the stimp numbers on greens, I agree that they bear no significance. The speed names give a good estimate to the necessary power adjustments.

From the beginning, players have been telling players not to trust the caddie and to use a proper pre-shot routine to set up the clubs correctly.

Starter balls belong to the FTP part of the game. Custom clubs work best with fitting custom balls.

Greynurse0:
    But it does limit those low income earners the ability to become competative.
    They certainly are limited - PTW! This is not a charity!

Greynurse0:
    But on the bright side, if you're just looking to play a game of golf on some of the best courses in the world, then have at it and enjoy.

That's the spirit!
    Each time I play I am stunned by the views! It's not "beautiful graphics" as you say but real HD photographs - they've been there! (and I may have seen them at work in St. Andrews in 2009!)

Have fun!!

RSS