Help › Forums

Serious Question - What is Spam on WGT?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:00 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2021 7:46 PM

I have posted 234 times, since I started, 235 as soon as WGT clears my last post on Nasty Players thread and 236 counting this one (actually more like 260 counting the ones I sent but got blocked!!).  I totally understand why I am still getting moderated for each, and every post. Earlier this evening I replied to a thread and it only took 3 hours to appear rather than days which is way cool. As I do want to get out of moderation, and have promised WGT I will be good, I have 1 question:

Seriously, what exactly is considered Spam on these message boards. I understand the no baiting, singling people out, profanity... and all the rest, I do not know exactly what Spam is (on the message boards) and do not want to be in moderator purgatory 4ever.

Serious replies only please.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2021 10:07 PM

Seriously, none of the patrons may know the answer. I don't, that's why I may not have replied. Or your post was lost in moderation(?)

Good to know that you are free of that nuisance now!

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 3:23 AM

As above.

What WGT say:

SPAMMING AND/OR TROLLING

Do not post anything that is, or could be, construed to be:

• repeatedly communicating the same or similar message

• creating, participating or perpetuating conversations with the intention of causing unrest within the community

• joining a conversation with the intention of derailing it

• communicating in a harmfully deceptive manner

Clearly, depending on your interpretation, most posters have done at least one of those things. I mean what can you do about "could be construed to be"! (not sure about their commas there, but I don't mean  that in a derailing way)

Repeatedly asking for a fault to be fixed,  saying someone is cheating/'bagging or whatever, just having fun or being sarcastic etc etc

Interpretation is the key and even different mods will interpret differently so nobody knows.  Perhaps the most accurate answer is they make it up as they go along and if they want to moderate anyone on the basis of these they easily can.

I got the guidelines from Bossbird's thread where champ says the way to keep off moderation is read the guidelines, so I did that again :-) 

• golferguy2018
    362 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 5:26 AM

Best not even to post in here. I am done with it.  Will read but that's it.

• IamNicklaus
    493 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 7:21 AM

DodgyPutter:

As above.

What WGT say:

SPAMMING AND/OR TROLLING

Do not post anything that is, or could be, construed to be:

• repeatedly communicating the same or similar message

• creating, participating or perpetuating conversations with the intention of causing unrest within the community

• joining a conversation with the intention of derailing it

• communicating in a harmfully deceptive manner

Clearly, depending on your interpretation, most posters have done at least one of those things. I mean what can you do about "could be construed to be"! (not sure about their commas there, but I don't mean  that in a derailing way)

Repeatedly asking for a fault to be fixed,  saying someone is cheating/'bagging or whatever, just having fun or being sarcastic etc etc

Interpretation is the key and even different mods will interpret differently so nobody knows.  Perhaps the most accurate answer is they make it up as they go along and if they want to moderate anyone on the basis of these they easily can.

I got the guidelines from Bossbird's thread where champ says the way to keep off moderation is read the guidelines, so I did that again :-) 

The bolded quote has plenty of relevance  to recent posts , not sure i see the moderation with regards to it though ...guess it doesnt apply to 11 year members ..:P 

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 7:39 AM

DodgyPutter:

What WGT say:

SPAMMING AND/OR TROLLING

That is exactly why I asked the question, "What is spam in the forum?"

I try to be careful. I want to be careful.  When I posted my question, I was on moderation but was not really sure why.. I wanted to be good.

I read the TOS as you have cited. I have read many threads that seemingly violate the TOS. I know threads that almost every other post violates TOS, yet I was under moderation.

I see profile pics that would violate TOS, yet I cannot post a pic of my dog with it getting denied.

So, I truly do not understand what exactly SPAM is in the eyes of WGT.

To be honest, I was actually hoping that, at some point, a moderator may jump in and explain all this.

My intention was not to be funny or a smart - a**.

I very much enjoy contributing to the threads and did not want to do anything that would get me in trouble. Now that I am no longer under moderation, I fear getting back on it.

I have never posted anything I believe would violate TOS, except for once. When I did post it, I was under moderation and somehow it got through. I had reservations right away and sent an email to member services asking them to take it down and they did. It was a post about poaching where I named names.

In any event, I assume "SPAM" is different and still do not know what is, or is not, considered "SPAM".

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:14 AM

HamdenPro:
    To be honest, I was actually hoping that, at some point, a moderator may jump in and explain all this.

That would be ideal, because as the moderators of these Forums, only WGT can accurately answer.  The rest of us can only offer our opinions.

Of the bullet points that DP copied-and-pasted above, I consider the 1st one to be spam and the others to be "trolling".  I also consider it spam when bots create WGT accounts and post links here in the Forums (and on players' Walls) to outside commercial sites. 

I don't really consider it spam when a thread gets derailed or goes off-topic, although that can sometimes be just as annoying.

Just my thoughts.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:31 AM

From my reading of the forums over the years, WGT basically defines spam as repetitious posting of the same message. In other words, it is spam if the same message or post is identical and is posted in the following ways:

• The same message is posted multiple times (in a row) within the same thread in response to a post. 
    • The same message is posted multiple times to different folders. 

For example, on the first one, if I were to post the same response a number of times in a row (i.e., one post immediately after another, multiple times) within a thread, that would (most likely) be viewed as spam. By the way, this is not the inadvertent "double post" that happens. This is someone posting the same message a number of times in a row (think 5 or more times in a row).

For the second one, if someone were to simultaneously start the same thread in multiple forums (for example, WGT Mobile, Courses, and Bug Log) that would (most likely) be viewed as spam by WGT.

By the way, a player just responding to various threads and genuinely interacting with others is not spam. I mention this because I was once accused of "spamming the boards" simply because I was very active in the forums.

Additionally, periodically raising unresolved issues or questions about the game is not spam, even if the issue they raise is the same each time. Again, for example, if someone raises the same unresolved issue or question about the game every couple of weeks or so, that's not spam.

While other players may find it annoying to see the topic revisited, it was their choice to read the post. They could have simply ignored the post and moved on. Choosing not to engage is also a choice. Many times, it's the smart choice.

That's my take on spam and WGT.

See also Sam's post above. 

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:41 AM

Being moderated for breaking wgt rules is extremely subjective and often depends on the moderator and his/her mood that day. That's probably why you were moderated and others who break the rules (far worse) weren't. Trust me on this...personal experience. 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:59 AM

+100!

HamdenPro:
    I was actually hoping that, at some point, a moderator may jump in and explain all this.
    The company don't explain, period.

And, please accept this from Dante: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter."

• PAGES
RSS