Help › Forums

Ryder cup Disgusting us behaviour!

Sat, Dec 18 2021 6:44 PM (36 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2021 8:42 PM

Geoffo126:
    Just a few lines to say about the lack of class

Sadly, we can't muzzle all the drunken idiots who attend the events.  Wish we could.

I find the behavior just as appalling, makes me question the concept of free speech when some can be so abusive and disrespectful...

But consider this... even the PGA had to impose a rule that would eject people out of a tournament if they taunt the dear old Bryson with cat calls of  Brooksie.

So yelling Brooksie is over the line and worthy of ejecting people but the vitriol and slander during Ryder Cup is anything goes.

Ridiculous... so much for gentlemens game... and I find the over the line behavior appalling regardless of the side, but I take greater offense to US patrons offensive behavior because that is not reflective of all of us.  

• jimmyvthejedi
    4 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2021 10:14 PM

Well said good man ... USa better team by far this year .. fearless youth .. hope they embrace spirit of Ryder Cup in Italy which will be a good test for them ... but agree some of the crowd behaviour ("in the sand .. or in the water") and 1st tee booing was not appreciated .. which is a shame since I am sure most US golf fans are stellar folks  ...still don't get the mash potatoe shout thouhg lol ...

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2021 11:18 PM

el3n1:

Geoffo126:
    Just a few lines to say about the lack of class

Sadly, we can't muzzle all the drunken idiots who attend the events.  Wish we could.

I find the behavior just as appalling, makes me question the concept of free speech when some can be so abusive and disrespectful...

But consider this... even the PGA had to impose a rule that would eject people out of a tournament if they taunt the dear old Bryson with cat calls of  Brooksie.

So yelling Brooksie is over the line and worthy of ejecting people but the vitriol and slander during Ryder Cup is anything goes.

Ridiculous... so much for gentlemens game... and I find the over the line behavior appalling regardless of the side, but I take greater offense to US patrons offensive behavior because that is not reflective of all of us.  

Don't sweat it, bro. Due to the Law of Conservation of Idiots, they always exist in a certain number, no matter where you go.

Congrats to Team USA by the way. Cheers.

• Grish72
    333 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2021 12:07 AM

Geoffo126:

Just a few lines to say about the lack of class from US spectators, booing when our great players are announced, shouts of get in the bunker etc. I totally agree with cheering your own players but this behaviour is disgusting!

with your british flag you should be quite! I only remember the football (soccer) em (ec) where spectators booed national anthems and even made fun of little, crying girls.

congratulations to the us team for winning the ryder cup. more than deserved by the way.

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2021 2:00 AM

My sour grapes .

But the atmosphere was overwhelming and the home players rode it with relentless excellence.

On occasion they took it too far. Justin Thomas chugging a celebratory beer on only the second afternoon was classless as was Brooks Koepka's foul mouthed tirade after not being given the benefit of a ruling.

Bryson DeChambeau's antics of laying down his putter to show he was miffed at not being conceded a putt was another low and a tiny minority of fans were guilty of shouting at inappropriate times when Europe were playing shots..

• tramilleo
    1,865 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2021 5:11 AM

Lmao  , the euro's are crybabies' now Lmao, you British are the epitome of classless

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2021 8:46 AM

It should also be noted - like many things - there has been a shift in the Ryder Cup dynamics over the years...

take the time to read this article - Ryder Cup Renaissance by M. James Ward 

I will highlight this one paragraph if anyone doesn't take the time to read the article...

-----

In recent Ryder Cups rhetoric and vitriol have escalated at different moments. Tensions boiling over and the spirit of the matches undercut. Inane slogans such as “War by the Shore” from the 1991 matches at Kiawah and in-your-face comments from players have turned upside down the nature of the contest. It has not helped when crowd sizes total nearly 50,000 with certain people clearly inebriated and wrongly believing bellicose shouts are helping their respective team when in reality, they are simply fueling the fire for needless animosity and vitriol.

----

Now contrast what we have seen of late to the example described between Nicklaus and Jacklin in 1969.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2021 9:40 AM

craigswan:
    Justin Thomas chugging a celebratory beer on only the second afternoon was classless

That one indicates a fairly thin skin.

He wasn't playing that afternoon. Was there to pep up the crowd on the first tee. Someone from the crowd  tossed him a beer.  the crowd chants for him to chug it so he does.

as to Brooks, Sergio was in agreement that he should get relief. he hit the area the refs  said that he wouldn't hit. Luckily it wasn't rigid. but that wasn't known prior.  As to F bombs themselves on the course... you must really suck at reading lips because multiple players say it on every telecast. 

Maybe you don't use that word. I 've been known to use the F word like a comma somedays. The world seems to be ok because of it though.

I do agree with you on the gimme antics. Just because when I play I expect to always to have to putt it. If a partner gives me the gimme then great if not then i should make the thing anyway. I never understood people getting upset over not being given gimmes.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2021 10:20 AM

It is not just golf and different countries. If you can find it online somewhere just watch how The San Diego Padres fans booed and heckled the Chicago Cub players in the 1984 National League playoffs. 

• Cicero733
    2,291 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2021 2:30 PM

As long as sports are played as spectator events there will be fans. And as long as there are no publish rule books for fan behavior, other than don’t interfere with the game, there will be a complete spectrum of attitudes, actions, and responses to the game being played. And win, lose, or draw there will be those who not only criticize the game, there will be those who criticize the individuals playing the game, and there will be those who criticize fan behavior as well. Everybody has their own definition of good and bad behaviors; there is no universally accepted standard; everybody has an opinion. It’s all part of the “game process”. 

RSS