Forums

Help › Forums

New PC with Norton preinstalled

Tue, Sep 14 2021 5:27 AM (8 replies)
  • TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 8:08 AM

Bought a new Acer entry level PC yesterday with Norton installed, couple games last ight OK, this morning three games were giving me bizarre connect errors, and couldn't finish any of those games.  Any advice?

• wedge0837
    862 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 8:46 AM

I'm sorry but do people actually still use Norton? Get rid of it. That's your first problem. These things are useless and in my opinion, created for people who are entry level pc users. 

• sammey1
    679 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 9:25 AM

Get rid of Norton. 

• banditone
    143 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 10:55 AM

ditch norton it mucks most things up 

get avg free i have used it for years with no problems

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 1:07 PM

I agree with the three gents above about removing Norton. Just make sure you do it "properly" though.

1. Get yourself an alternative antivirus software which will replace your Norton. There are many options of free softwares available : MS Defender (preinstalled if you're using Windows 10. No actions required other than updating it regularly), AVG, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avira, Avast, etc., etc.
    2. Disconnect your PC from internet (Wi-Fi). Simply turn airplane mode on. You're doing this to protect your PC from any potential attempts of attack through internet while you're switching your antivirus programs.  
    3. Turn off Norton and all its related activities.
    4. Remove (delete) Norton. You want to do this first because otherwise Norton might intervene when you install the new antivirus program. Often many antivirus programs recognize other ones as a virus or a threat to your system. Running multiple antivirus softwares in your PC is not a smart thing to do in first place anyways.
    5. (Optional) Clean up the registries and restart PC. Again, this is optional. You can skip this step if you want.
    6. Install the new antivirus program of your choice.
    7. Reconnect your PC to internet / Wi-Fi. (Turn airplane mode off.)
    8. Once reconnected, update virus data and keep them up-to-date at all time.

Hope it helps. Cheers.

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 4:27 PM

thanks for that Simon

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 4:42 PM

You bet. Cheers, Ken. ;-)

• TrikiRik
    103 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2021 4:56 PM

Great info, thanks, I'll do this first thing in the morning.

• golferguy2018
    362 Posts
    Tue, Sep 14 2021 5:27 AM

i did not know they still made acer.? i had one, Lasted about a year. ;-( replaced it with a Lenovo (junk also ) went with apple. Hope simon's info helps you out.

RSS