Forums

Help › Forums

Wind direction

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 8 2021 11:50 PM (7 replies)
  • Dinjack
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2021 6:05 PM

Love your app but… I am lucky to have played St. Andrews more then several times and I can tell you that wind on the course is a big part of playing there.  The trouble I have with the app is that your wind direction will change into or against the player when in reality all the holes on the front go in the same direction and the ones on the back it goes opposite.  You cannot have wind going down on the first and in you face on two and then back with you on three and against you on four.  Hope this helps.

• Stewsailor
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2021 10:24 AM

x1

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2021 8:53 PM

Good point, but they don't care. 

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2021 7:28 AM

i agree wholeheartedly.  

it's also like putting, where at impact, the ball is going the fastest, the break at impact tends to determine the putt outcome more than the break at the cup, when the ball is moving the slowest.

It's almost like they never took physics.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2021 1:55 PM

pdiehm:
    It's almost like they never took physics.

I'm sure they do understand the physics, but (as with many other things in this game) they simplified it a bit for the sake of easier programming.

Doing what Dinjack suggests would be a pretty big programming task.  They'd have to reprogram the game so that when you begin your round, the prevailing wind speed and direction is calculated and the course layout is taken into consideration for each hole.  It's a whole lot easier programming-wise to just randomize the wind for each hole.

• celamantia
    79 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2021 11:50 PM

I don't think it would be super difficult.  All they would have to do is keep track of the angle of each hole relative to north, and they already have this information because the angle for each hole is necessary to get the shadows right since they are using actual course photos. I always assumed they were doing this but maybe they aren't; the easiest place to check would be on each tee the wind should be the same relative to the angle of the shadows for the course markers.  So if the course marker shadow is straight back on one hole and the wind is blowing left to right, and then on the next hole the course marker shadow is straight left and the wind is blowing in your face, then the wind is not random from hole to hole.  I'll have to watch this on my next round.

Christine

RSS