Forums

Help › Forums

bunker shots

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 18 2021 11:52 PM (3 replies)
  • chunk356
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2021 2:13 PM

can anyone help me. when i get into bunker game automaticaly gives me my lob wedge even for a shot of 6yds it give me 80yds on the meter making it virtualy impossible to judge power

• Luciano18
    316 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2021 8:04 PM

If I may suggest 

Go to a course in a Practice game and put yourself in a bunker 

Them hit shots out at different power levels and see how far they fly and roll. That should give you a decent frame of reference. 

I used 90% power, and so on down to at least 50%.

With my 64degree wedge at 50%, it gets up to about 15yds on a 3yd elevation for example 

You may want to use the starter ball the 1st time around - mulligans in practice rounds count as a hit, same as a regular hit 

You might also want to try other clubs in the sand at varying degrees of depth - 40%-50% ball in the sand will go way shorter than a ball only 25% plugged 

Luciano  

• RobHon
    77 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2021 11:52 PM

chunk356:

can anyone help me. when i get into bunker game automaticaly gives me my lob wedge even for a shot of 6yds it give me 80yds on the meter making it virtualy impossible to judge power

Three things I'd advise:

1) For short bunker shots, try flop with your most lofted wedge rather than a full shot. You can hit with much more power and will be more successful. It is almost impossible to use full shots from very short range. Flop is quite reliable.

2) Also I notice you carry a hybrid. Replacing that with a 64 degree wedge will be much beneficial to you from many situations. It reduces the number of times you need to play underpowered shots and will also stop more quickly. 

3) As the previous poster suggested, playing a practice hole and trying different shots from the sand is the way to learn quickly (use the mulligan feature on practice rounds). Start with flop, which is the only way to get close for the 6 yard example you mention. You can also experiment with pitch if there is plenty of room between you and the flag. Full shots can work quite well beyond 20 yards, but are very difficult below that. Pay attention to the both CARRY and ROLL distances with your selections. This enables you to land the ball where you need to and have a good feel for what will happen when it hits the green surface.

Good luck!

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2021 6:11 AM

+1!

@Chunk: Basic rule: distrust the caddie - choose clubs yourself.

Furthermore, concerning green bunkers of 25 to 40 %:

Good shot types out are full, punch and flop.

For full+punch, start with power for 3x the distance, not less than 50 %.

(you may need a 64° wedge BTW)

Apply backspin for shot height but don't expect it to stop the ball.

And, out of fairway bunkers of 30+ %: Only wedges, and don't expect more than 70 yds.

There must be plenty tutorials to be found by search =>

RSS