Help › Forums

I remember why I stopped playing

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 5 2021 11:59 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Toweliechaos
    31 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2021 12:39 PM

I stopped playing WGT a year or so ago as I'd just go so fed up of the game's problems. I recently started playing again, as I'd rekindled my interest in the real game. At first, I enjoyed it again and started to wonder why I'd stopped.

Then it started. All those elements of the game that bothered me before started to appear again.

Completely inconsistent wind effects on the ball meaning one shot gets blown 10 yards across and the next either nothing or twice as much? Check.

Identical pitch/chip shots going arbitrary distances despite everything being the same? Check.

Balls landing on a green and stops quickly, or rolls on miles or spins back miles with no clear repeatable reason for it? Check.

Meter bar that randomly sticks on mobile version despite internet and memory being fine? Check.

Bracket tournaments that just use the same few courses over and over? Check - why do Torrey Pines, Oakmont, Best of Par 4 etc. never feature?

But all of the above pale into insignificance compared to putting. I am so, so sick of the little dots barely moving and yet mysteriously the ball swings two cup widths or not at all. Or a two cup break on one green moving a completely different amount on the next. Or the ball that moves excessively in the first foot or two but then proceeds to ignore the break presented by the dots elsewhere on the green. Or my absolute favourite when the ball just decides to leave the clubface at right angles on the tiniest of not perfect strikes.

I'm a Legend level player, so don't tell me I'm just rubbish. But already I'm starting to feel like I'll be jacking it in again soon. What's the point of playing if you cannot trust the game mechanics to be consistent?

And breathe...

• golferguy2018
    362 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2021 8:13 AM

I agree 100% . But most on here will say all is good & it's just you. They think all is good & your just  pouting.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2021 11:04 AM

the argument against you is that the people who win continue to do so. Most of what you post is just not understanding game mechanics.

some of it is truth. the putting for sure. But once again the people who win continue to do so.

Ask yourself what are they doing different in relationship to putting.

the answer is they consistently put the ball in spots that have more predictable putts.

Do you think the best players just try to hit the right yardage to the pin all the time.

Plenty of holes you don't want to be pin high on.

You don't want to hear it but really 98% of the issue is  a skill level and knowledge problem. not game mechanics.

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2021 11:56 AM

Mythanatos:

the argument against you is that the people who win continue to do so. Most of what you post is just not understanding game mechanics.

some of it is truth. the putting for sure. But once again the people who win continue to do so.

the answer is they consistently put the ball in spots that have more predictable putts.

Do you think the best players just try to hit the right yardage to the pin all the time.

You don't want to hear it but really 98% of the issue is  a skill level and knowledge problem. not game mechanics.

+1

All the complaints here are about nuance and what makes the game fun. Watch ANY PGA event and you'll see everything being complained about here. Winds that move slightly and then gust, balls with too much or too little spin, putts that break one time and then don't seem to the next. I love this game! How boring it would be if there was not variation. And as mentioned above, the best players have figured it out. It's there for anyone who wants to try and learn all the nuance, but for those that want a simple 2+2 = 4 every time, perhaps they should try a more simple game.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2021 1:57 PM

BPeterson8256:

Mythanatos:

+1

All the complaints here are about nuance and what makes the game fun. Watch ANY PGA event and you'll see everything being complained about here. Winds that move slightly and then gust, balls with too much or too little spin, putts that break one time and then don't seem to the next. I love this game! How boring it would be if there was not variation. And as mentioned above, the best players have figured it out. It's there for anyone who wants to try and learn all the nuance, but for those that want a simple 2+2 = 4 every time, perhaps they should try a more simple game.

+1  for both of your replies.  

• ChrisDeGarmo
    23 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2021 8:46 PM

How boring would LIFE itself be if there was no variation - and everything was completely predictable and repeatable. Figuring out the approach to manage these variations and turn them into a victory is why I love a game like this. I'm very sorry that some people did not have parents that taught them the beauty of a good challenge, and instead, just whine, tantrum or lay down and play dead.

If it were not the challenges to be fought for, there would be no sciences, no skyscrapers, no jet aircraft. We all enjoy a life built by people who did not just sit down and start crying when presented with something unpredictable.

• RickinWaSt
    2,068 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 5:48 AM

~> Plenty of holes you don't want to be pin high on.

~> You don't want to hear it but really 98% of the issue is  a skill level and knowledge problem. not game mechanics.

Mythanatos, good to see your post and miss your contribution in the TPC forum. 

I'm just pass 1 year playing WGT. Better to have a 6' putt below the hole vs 3' pin high with much break, especially on "12" and "13" greens. 

• LeftyMcGee7
    449 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 7:10 AM

Mythanatos:

Exactly.

Taking me til now to learn to just manage a course.

Next will be where to land on greens.

After that will be how to actually land em there.

Just like in TaeKwon-Do, we said, "Ya don't even BEGIN learnin until black belt."

I'm just startin here. 🤷

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 9:17 AM

Look at it on the bright side , some things never change . At least you now know what to expect from the game , so no need to feel disappointed .

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2021 11:54 AM

ChrisDeGarmo:
    If it were not the challenges to be fought for, there would be no sciences, no skyscrapers, no jet aircraft. We all enjoy a life built by people who did not just sit down and start crying when presented with something unpredictable.

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."

-- Doug Larson

• PAGES
RSS